1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Remington 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Plattbird, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plattbird

Plattbird Member

Today I had the opportunity to see and shoot for the first time a Remington 870 Competition single shot gas-operated pump trap gun. This gun was mint condition, beautiful wood with a 30" fixed full choke step rib barrel. I was able to easily blister targets with this gun today as it points well like most Remington 870's and 1100's do for me. The recoil was very light. This must be a very rare model as its the first I've ever heard of. From what I understand these were made in the 70's. I would like to know more about this gun and the gas operation so please comment if you care to.

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

"This must be a very rare model as its the first I've ever heard of." In that case it must be very rare indeed.

Robert

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

They're for sale here all the time. The best patterning barrels that Remington ever made. The piston parts are getting harder to find every day.

ss

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

They were in production in the early 80's...I bought mine new in 1981. They are for sale on this site occasionally. And yes, they are a soft shooter and a target smoker....There have been posts here in the past concerning cracked recievers due, apparently from the forend cap loosening. Plus, parts specific to the gun (recoil piston seals, O-rings, etc.) are for the most part non-existent. I keep mine for the occasions when my son shoots with me and as a backup for single and 'cap...but I never use it 'cause I shoot a Ljutic.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

They made them in the early 80's for a few years, I bought a new one back then. I believe this was Remington's first back bored barrel, mine was about .745 with .040+ choke.

6. Plattbird

Plattbird Member

"In that case it must be very rare indeed."

Robert

Sorry, don't let my enthusiasm cause you any grief. I'll try not to assume anything next time. Nice catch.
    Jesse

7. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Just to add a bit of information to the thread.
    When Remington came out with the 870 comp. Allen Timney was making a custom version of a 1100 that replicated the 870 comp in function.

I called Allen and asked him about the 870 comp and how it compared to what he was doing with the 1100. He said that his version used less parts and he felt his was superior to the 870 comp.

I remeber that you could send your 1100 to him and he would convert it or he would sell you a completed altered 1100. Seems like it was around $800.00 to a $1000.00. This was way beyond my budget at the time, and I always regretted not finding the money to purchase one. I never saw Allens version but I believe he cut down the mag tube and made a single shot and eliminated a bunch of parts.

This would have been during the seventies.
    I am sure that some of the older shooters on here have seen or perhaps owned a Timney conversion.

It would seem that if Timney could do the conversion then, it could be done today. Parts for 1100s are plentyful, and a single shot 1100 would make a reliable trapgun without all the need for the parts that make it a repeater.
    It would be a neat project.

I wonder if any of Timneys conversions still exist?

ed

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Sorry about him insulting you. It was uncalled for. Your question has been answered but if you have more I can help

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

No insult was intended, merely a humorous quip which by Jesse's response seems to have been taken as such.

Robert

10. Plattbird

Plattbird Member

I've seen current production 870 Competition models and have noticed a few for sale here on TS.com but never really paid them any attention as I've never been in the market for a pump to shoot trap. I just had no idea there were single shot gas-operated recoil reduction mechanisms in any of them until this fella showed up with one at the club today. It was a pleasure to shoot.
    Jesse

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What was the benefit of the 870 Competition over the 1100? The 1100 can also be used for doubles.

12. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Brian, you can use the Comp for doubles too. Just gotta learn to load the second shot in a hurry.

Gne J

13. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

If recollection is correct it was simply a attempt to reduce recoil. Post-2

14. rick979

rick979 Active Member

A "converted 1100" could never be anything like an 870 Comp. They are a unique gun with the best patterns I ever shot. I have Perazzis, K-80s and Ljutic but nothing smokes a 27 yard target better for me than the 870 Comp. Contrary to all the BS they are easy to maintain and very durable. The seals can be picked up at any good hardware store. A very nice one with pretty wood will command a price "north" of $650.00 any day of the week.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

BrianInOregan. Remington billed as their "Single Barrel Trap Gun" in their ads trying to capitalize on that expression. It was something different for the pumpers and a lot of Remington guns fans bought one. They were and are a good conversation piece as well as a good shooter.

Ditto on their great barrels. Happy Thanksgiving.

16. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

One of the primary uses of the 870 "Comp" is as a turkey shoot gun. Their ability to break targets at unreal distances is legendary in Kentucky.

Ed Ward

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've made a few parts for shooters here for the 870 Comp.. The piston seal/wipe can be had at a hydrolic repair shop.. with state of the art plastic and stainless steel spring wipe.. Those seals last for many,many years and are about $8.00 Other than that.. there is not much to break or wear out...

18. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Toolmaker251, I don't know if the Mod. 31 was Remington's first back-bored bbl. or not, but it certainly preceded the Comp. I've had 3 TC's and all 3 were around .745/.043.

Buz

19. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

I have one of these that was made in 1981. They were produced through 1986. Mine needed everything replaced in the recoil system. I found all the parts except the piston ring from Numerich and Ahlman's. Not cheap but at least I was able to get them. The idea of a hydraulic supply house for the piston ring sounds like a likely source.

Mine is an extremely soft shooter with the best shooting barrel I have ever used. Absolutely smokes the clays.

Like others, I only use it on rare occasions due to readily available parts being scarce. Keep the mag cap tight and enjoy shooting. Be sure to clean the mag tube regularly and watch out for the seal in the end of the mag tube at the receiver being stuck in the tube.

Darryl

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Alfermann66, I can't answer your question about the mod.31 being backbored. Were your TC's fixed choke or tubed? The comp was a fixed choke barrel and I think Remington didn't come out with tubes until late 80's or very early 90's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 870 competition single shot