1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Problem with Federal HDCP Papers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Shot league last night at the club. Our team had to shoot off the 27, which I prefer.

My first five shots were the most bone-jarring shots I'd ever felt, so after missing 2 targets, I left the line and opened up a second box of the new Federal Handicap Papers and finished the round without dropping another target.

Upon completing the round, the guys looked at my discards AND the shells left in the box and informed me that they were NOT the Federal Handicap Paper 7½'s, (I didn't pay attention to the comment about 7¼'s-I prefer 8's), but were in fact INTL 7½'s. Sure enough, INTL's they were - these are the 3¼ dram loads used in International trap.

I sold about $300,000 worth of these shells about 4-5 summers ago, drop-shipped them all over the USA for about $43/flat. A helluva deal as the freight was about $12 for a flat or a pallet. I kept quite a few flats (~30-40?) for myself.

Anyone out there ever had a similar problem?

I notified my friend here in Rapid City SD who was one of the Houghton's who owned H-S Precision. Todd is now a Federal Rep, so I just emailed him about this a few moments ago, but I think he's out of town now.

I have the original new box and 20 unfired papers left to prove that the shells were miss packaged, and witnesses.

I intend to either send them up to Federal or drop them off myself when I'm in Mpls (Anoka) next month.

Now I'm gun shy thinking I need to open all my flats and boxes therein to check.

Here's a photo of the mess. I have NEVER, ever sold or purchased INTL loads.

[​IMG]

Now that I posted the picture, notice that the shells are 7½'s, but the box reads 8's. I prefer 8's from the 27 myself, and after the first shell kicked the hell out of me, I looked at the hull and was puzzled about the 7½'s because of my preference to 8's. But thought, oh, what the hell, I've made mistakes before, and couldn't see this flap as it was folded over in my leather shell holder.

Whiz White<BR>
    S&W Supply

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

shit happens whiz and it is not the first time

3. whiz white

Yes, I know, and my dentist thinks I ought to keep shooting them... maybe my crowns will switch places.

Whiz

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Whiz, I'll buy them from you for $43 per flat, then you won't have to worry. Bill Malcolm

5. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

??????????????? GEEESH, what's next??

The last of those I shot (last Summer but an old batch) were the same ole supersoft target smashing anomolies of the past. Shells that you just can't believe you can hurt a target that hard, that far, and not kick!!!

Whiz, don't you have someone around there that could test them for you?

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The recoil doesn't surprise me in the least. I don't know what Fed puts in their "abnormal" loads but if you want your dentist to be happy, try the 1 oz Sporting loads. If I recall, they are 1350fps. They are unshootable. It's an instant headache if you shoot a few of those.

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What aboput the high brass? Didn't that tip yopu off that there was something wrong?

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The "Intl" shells are 24grammers (7/8oz)! And you felt these were heavier than the 1 1/8oz Handicaps? Maybe they weren't 24gr loads?

AndyH :-/

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Whiz cut one open and see if they are actually as the box says just the hull is marked wrong. I have purcheased shells before that were what i expected just the hull was printed wrong. Just a thought.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Dogs, all the Gold Medals I ever shot were "high brass."

Ed

11. Norm

Norm TS Member

Hey Whiz save those babies for pheasant hunting!! They should do the job very well.
    From Mandan, ND

12. whiz white

High brass? What are you talking about. Look at the picture. The brass is all the same height for both the INTL and HDCP.

The INTL load is the exact same at the standard trap loads... look at the picture, only the middle two are INTL loads the rest of the box was the standard HDCP papers.

THEY KICK - PERIOD! The are not mis-marked. The box was correct for MOST of the shells. I suspect someone at the Anoka factory need a few to finish up a run and plunked a few in the box...but I'd think that would all be machine operated.

Norm: That is what Mark said at coffee yesterday... he said we could use them on pheasants for at least the first couple of minutes on opening day!

The Federal rep emailed me last night and wants them to take up to MN to show the factory. We were supposed to meet for coffee today, but I have two 4x4's apart in the shop... swapping torsion bars, and stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.