1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting practice tip

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

After thinking I should be using a more open choke at 16 yard, I got the practice tip that I should instead be using an extra full choke to build precision in my shooting. At first it seemed like a bad idea, but now it seems like the right thing to do.

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

It is the right thing to do. Stick with it .

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The only thing holding you back is your brain. HMB

4. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

generally speaking - at trap - with chokes - tighter is better

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's the right thing to do AFTER you've used an open choke to at least begin to hit the target. What I'm saying is that for a beginner, a full or extra full choke can and will lead to frustration to the point where they might quite or take up skeet shooting. After the basics are understood, then tighten the choke.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

That's why all the "choke for smoke" guys practice with .22s.

7. 2labman

2labman Member

Hmm, using a full choke to "build precision into my shooting."__Where have I heard that before???

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I think it sucks! But, what do I know! Go ahead...try it and start missing more birds!

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Trying new things can be a problem. I did the choke dance, I then pattern all my chokes found the 2 that put the shot on target and good overal looking pattern. That left me with a Browning invectorplus OEM full flush choke OVER. A Briely IM spectrum Under. I know I can hit targets from the 27 line with the IM. I have not a chance to do so with any volume. The IM has been great back to 23.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Many XF chokes do not pattern as well as more open chokes. I prefer IMOD in a particular barrel I shoot at the 16. I try tighter chokes from time to time, but this one choke in this barrel gets as much smoke as any Wilkinson or Eyster tuned barrel in my club.

Just because a choke has "---" markings does not guarantee a particular pattern. Use what you have until you get the basics down, and then consider tightening your choke.

Do NOT expect a choke to magically get you a higher score. Attention to your shooting position, focusing on the target and breaking it in a timely manner, keeping your head on the gun, and a smooth swing and follow through is more important to shoot good scores than a different choke tube.

Once you get these basics down pat, then you might go for the confidence building idea to "choke for smoke".

11. canada

canada Member

the problem with using a full choke and then switching back to a more open choke is you wont get the same breaks as you see shooting practice. you wont see the same smoke shooting competition, and start adjusting to compensate. shoot competition the same as you shoot practice, chokes included

Pat Lamont

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

You should practice with the same equipment as you use to shoot ATA targets. I would not get too overly concerned about chokes. Find one that will smoke targets from your handicap yardage and use that choke for both singles and handicap.

Concentrate on the major parts of shooting, gun mount, head down, see the target, and then after these become natural, think about chokes and shot size.

Pat Ireland

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

PRACTICE???? Who has extra money and shells to do that????

GS

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Pattern those chokes. You may be surprised. My LF (.31) patterns better at 40 yards than my FC (.36) or XFC (.40). Then as Pat says shoot the same choke all the time after you've found out what patterns best.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I shot my highest 16yd. average ever-98.28 with a full choke-.034. Tell me again why I switched back to an IMod-.026!!

16. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Hard to improve on what Pat Ireland has suggested.

Remember, that tighter (practice) choke may not put the pattern in exactly the same place as the more open choke you would otherwise use.

Yep, hard to advocate practice with a choke you will not use in ATA events.

17. len loma

len loma TS Member

I would think praticing with an extra full choke will create extra fliers and increase recoil slighty. I you flinch it could trigger it sooner. Just a thought

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"and increase recoil slighty" Good Grief.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

A choke could only increase recoil by increasing the velocity of the shot and I can't see how that would be accomplished.

Pat Ireland

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pat, does that mean the claim the over-bored (.800) barrels couldn't possibly reduce recoil even with their supposed increased velocity?

To be entirely honest I also believe felt recoil is increased with tighter chokes!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.