1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

INTERESTING POINT OF VIEW!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i was at an area gun club today, talked to a shooter i have not seen lately. asked if he went to the grand this past year? said he did, mentioned that the grand in sparta, doesn't really seem like the grand. he said he was not going back to sparta. said he's sick of always seeing the same people winning everything, year in and year out. he picked up a trap and field magazine, before he could open it, he told me the names of most of the winners at major shoots. i said if you don't like the same people winning, beat them. he said i can't. he said who are we kidding, on their worst day, it's still better then our best day. if any of us beat them, it would be a fluke. this guy started shooting ata tournaments in the mid 1960's, as a kid. i asked him about taking lessons from some of the instructors, and if a certain instructor was nice etc . he said they are all nice if you pay them. he said years ago, most of the top shooters he met would never give away any of their shooting secrets. the top dogs kept to themselves or were in a click of shooting buddies. he said we wouldn't allow anyone to pick our pockets, but we allow the same shooters to win. he said he's had enough. he will just practice shoot for now on. WHAT DO YOU THINK? ANY TRUTH TO WHAT HE SAYS?
    steve balistreri

2. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I dont think theres any secrets is there??? You are either competent to hit the target or you aren't. Everybody needs help at some time or another. Sounds like he's making excuses for his own incompetency. Theres always somebody better.

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I agree with Kelly. The Hot Shots are, indeed, outstanding shooters....and consistently so, but I don't think they have any magical secrets about what they do. They simply know and do whats required with MORE concentration,ability, and dedication than most shooters bring to the line. It is a fact of life that we ALL will only attain a certain level of shooting.....that level might never be good enough to beat one of the Hot Shots! What I like about this whole thing is that we should NOT become discouraged, but only MORE determined to beat them. I think many shooters have the EXACT same capabilities as the Hot Shots, but never work hard enough to develop those capabilities....like the Hot Shots did!

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I find it quite difficult to beat another shooter who is much better than I am. And, I am not willing to make the commitment necessary for me to improve to their level.

Pat Ireland

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Kelly just reiterated what I have been stating for a long time...There are the "Competitive Trapshooter's" then there are the rest....the above mentioned shooter is a prime candidate to become a "Sporting Clays Shooter"...that's where most of the non-competitor trapshooter's flee once they have truthfully accepted the fact that they are at best...just mediocre!

Curt

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

That's why Sporting Clays is growing and Trap is going nowhere. Talked to a Trap machine supplier on Saturday who is also an ATA All-American. He stated that if supplying automatic traps to Trap clubs was the only segment of their business they'd go belly-up. Back-orders on Sporting Clay machines is unbelievable!!

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jeeese...why can't we all be AAA 27 AAA ?

OK... maybe we can't...BUT...we sure can win our Class or yardage! And...once in a while, one of the top dogs.

If I can do it, so can everyone else.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

You need both. Natural ability and practice.

It is the same in any sport.

There is no "secret". If there was, it could be bought, and it would not be a secret any longer.

JMHO

Don

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Pat,

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Morgan

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We can all throw a football, but there ain't many Bret Favres out there.

duh.

HM

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

sounds like a whiner to me. There are people who complain about anything.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There are "Babe Ruth's" in every sport.

13. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"sounds like a whiner to me. There are people who complain about anything."

...and there also appear to be people who whine about the people who complain about anything.

Heed the Eastern wisdom: "The more you complain about life, the longer the gods make you live it!"

Morgan

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"There are "Babe Ruth's" in every sport."

What does being an alcoholic womanizer have to do with being able to shoot?

Morgan

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Capt. Morgan: Considering the fact that the "Babe" has his own room in the Baseball Hall of Fame and he is the greatest baseball player to ever live. The fact he chased the ladies and consumed adult beverages doesen't concern me. Are you Capt. Morgan suggestin Trap Shooters don't like the ladies or consume adult beverages?

16. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

. . . "he will just practice shoot from now on"

What is he practicing for???

Scott

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

There was one Babe Ruth and there are plenty of Brian Schneiders. Does anyone think the "Babe" spent more time in the batters cage than any of the others?

That's what happens when top shooters stand at 27 yd.line with 94 plus averages and the rest of the (Schneiders) try to compete. The only way to make them better hitters is to let 'em have a longer look at the ball and moving the pitchers back. Same with Trap!!

18. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

NUTS..............Roger

19. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I had a Baby Ruth just the other day! Still as good as ever!

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks the situation is better in sporting clays doesn't know much about sporting clays. The "professionals" make a living giving lessons, making tapes, endorsing equipment, etc. They travel to all the big shoots, and they are so much better than everyone else that they win EVERY TIME.

It you think this is exaggeration, pick up an issues of "Sporting Clays" magazine and look at the shoot results.

Part of your entry fee in trap or sporting clays events is an admission fee to see and participate with the best shooters in the country. How many of you would go to the Grand if Harlan Campbell, Kaye Ohye, Phil Kiner, Leo Harrison, Richard Marshall etc. weren't going to be there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.