1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

interesting pa.state shoot results

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

shooter broscious avg 2006 84.40 2007 avg 75.33. targets shot at 2006 300, 2007 1500. shot a 96 in D class at pa. state shoot. nice job ? Shooter Dubble. avg scores 2006 92.07 2007 89.40. won D class with a 98. look at other scores and match them to ata score and target history. both shooters average went down in 2007 but both shooters won a major shoot? How does that happen?

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

If you dwell on stuff like this, you will ruin your own fun. This is not a healthy thing to do. I shoot in class A for doubles and singles and I could care less what happens in class d. Let them do whatever. I was at Elysburg yesterday and looking at the prizes, the chamber pots they are giving for trophies don't exactly fit the decor of my house (we have flush toilets where I live). So let the sandbaggers win and they can brag about beating the old men and small children in class d.

3. Beretta680

Beretta680 Member

Dave Dubble is far from a sandbagger,he's a relatively new shooterwho struggles at times.
    The way this happens as you asked is by practicing,and making yourself better,as Dave is doing.

4. smsnyder

both shooters should be moved to A class . David did prove his ability and should me moved to A class asap. Nice job david .

5. smsnyder

maclellan1911 , you sound like me an honest d class shooter. a 92 and 95 score should win in our class but at the big shoots it probably won't happen. keep shooting.

6. smsnyder

scores in d class should win with a 92- 95 at a major shoot but often it takes 96 to 98 scores.

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

To digress into very old and worn territory, class d should be reserved for new shooters. No-one should be allowed to spend more than 2 years in class D and then 2 years in class C. All of this bs would dissapear if class d and c were treated as just learning classes. Problem is that folks have pitched tents in them and have decided to stay there forever. That is why I say to let D and C stay in their own pig pen. It is how they want it.

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Misundersanding is so easy here. You type something, you think it is clear, I respond and think it is clear, but it could be that we both missed. I am glad you understood what I was saying about establishing time limits for class D and C. Is two years the right number, I don't know. I do know that I believe there are too many 98s shot in class d. I could be wrong. I also believe there are too many people who do not wish to advance but they do not have a problem bringing yet another trophy home. I am hoping that even one of those clowns will read this and change their ways. To those who are really trying, I salute you. I continue in my quest for AA.

9. smsnyder

i agree halfgunwilltravel

10. smsnyder

well two more PA. d shooters who had lower averages in 16 yards in 2007 vs 2006 won the 200 bird event. that's amazing that both shooters broke 24 more targets at a major state shoot than they averaged in two years. both shooters should be moved to A class for two years. As one ata director told me a 194 will win 200 events and he is right. i haven't check the other classes yet. its not the idea of a d class shooter winning but once they win they should be moved up for a few years. let our young shooters have a chance to win, grow and stay in the sport.

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

If you shot a better score than him, you would not have to worry about his score. I agree with an earlier post. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT ANOTHER MANS SCORES. PUT THE WORRY EFFORT INTO YOUR OWN SCORES. Good luck in future shoots.

12. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

If you are a true D class shooter, you are not physically able to shoot a 98. Any shooter that shoots a 98 in D class is mis-classified. Don't give me the BS about a guy having a great day. Nonsense.

13. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

smsnyder.....you stated that those 2 shooters broke 24 targets more than their average over a 200 bird event.....that's only 3 targets per 25....not an unreasonable improvement for what was probably their best effort.

Cherokee Kid states..."If you are a true D class shooter, you are not physically able to shoot a 98".....Has class D recently been changed to allow only the physically challenged?

maclellan....if you are new to this sport, how would you have the knowledge needed to identify a true sandbagger based on your limited observations of fellow shooters?

I guess I'm just not the suspicious type...my own scores are typically all over the place. A friend of mine just shot his first 100 straight after 30 years of shooting....followed it this past week with another. By your reasoning he has been sandbagging all these years...personally I couldn't be happier for him.

I think the sandbagging issue is much less common than some believe.

Bob

14. smsnyder

i am going to sign up at the PA. state shoot in B class (IF i CAN) even though i am classified as D class shooter. i would rather see a young kid win his first trap shoot, grow with the game and stay in the sport long term. i really think sandbaggers hurt our sport. yes, only a few do it but it does hurt the sport. i also believe if a D or C shooters wins a major event such as PA. state shoot rated # 9 by ATA they should no longer be able to shoot in d or c class. another problem i see is in handicap. 19,20,21 winners vs 22-23 yards--,24-25 yards 26-27 yards. it should be 18-19 yards,20-21 yards, 22-23 yards,24-25 yards, 26-27 yards. the younger shooters have to compete in three yardage groups vs the higher yardage groups.

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Help me out here. I'm a little confused about the dates for the Pa. State shoot.

SM Snyder said these results were from their state shoot, but their website shows the state shoot has not started yet!

We are planning on attending from Thursday on, but if I'm wrong about the dates, someone please tell me. That will save us a lot of time, money, and frustration.

Danny in Indiana

16. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

maclellan....congrats on your class win...I've never been a classifier so I don't know how to properly consider your victory, but that win alone would not in my mind move you up a class unless your average supported it as well. The rules may state differently however.

I have been around ATA trapshooting for awhile (25+) and have observed strange behavior from time to time. One of my old shooting buddies always had a saying for when he shot poorly. He wasn't wanting to get any yardage prior to the Grand....he would say proudly.... "I'm in a good place for the Grand"....

Well, whatever, 20 years later and it never materialized for him, he's still right at essentially the same yardage and I am too. Been back and forth a little, but basically the same. I wish he would win so I wouldn't have to listen to his story. I wonder if the fellows you heard talking are repeating the same theme?

Don't get entwined in the sandbagging "conspiracy" talk...maybe it's the crowd I associate with, but I've never known anyone personally that intentionally dropped targets to avoid yardage or class improvement. You may have a different experience but the chances to shoot a good score just don't come around that often for me. I usually screw it up early on in the event.

I recently chipped my way to a 96 on the first 100 of a 200 target event....I then ate a burger, drank a Sprite and dropped 9 targets on the first trap of the 2nd 100. The rest of the event didn't get much better either. Was I sandbagging???? I would like to tell you that I was, but I don't know what the hell I was doing.

Actually, I do know what I was doing.....I was being my normal self....erratic.

Bob

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some of the above posters believe that a class D shooter can not have an exceptional day and if a class D shooter shoots a 98 he should be moved to class A for two years. Lets reverse that logic. If a class AA shooter has a very poor day and shoots a 90, should he be moved down to class B for two years?

If very good shooters can shoot unusually low scores, and they do, why is it unusual to see lesser talented shooters shoot very high scores now and then?

Pat Ireland

PS- I shot my first 100 straight many years ago as a true class D shooter. I messed up the second 100 in the 200 bird event and did not win a trophy.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Sandbagging is a farce ... there aint no such thing. Those who scream about sandbaggers are only doing so because of there inability to be able to shot well enough to feel good about what they have done along with when they get home there wifeys, girlyfriends or whatever they have will take sympathy on them when they tell the sobby sad story of how they didn't win again because of somebody sandbaggin the tourney and that it was all there fault.

Sandbaggers can be used against you on the range but can be used for you at home ... how many play the sandbagger beat you game to get a little sympathy special treatment at home?

It sounds like a reason why the ATA might not want to deal with the sandbaggin issue ... maybe they are all using the situaion to get a little sympathy attention at home.

Oh well just a thought ...

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike sandbagging the following statement bothers me more. "i am going to sign up at the PA. state shoot in B class (IF i CAN) even though i am classified as D class shooter. i would rather see a young kid win his first trap shoot, grow with the game and stay in the sport long term."

It bothers me more because by doing this you will not teach the young kid how to grow, you may as well by him a trophy and give it to him before he shoots after all if everyone feels as you feel he will never learn anything about being a competitor because all the competition will have stepped aside. Why waste lead if everyone in D class does the same he/she won't need to shoot anyway just give him the trophy.

If you really want to allow the kids to grow donate some cash to be used to pay for additional trophies or merchandise for the "young kid"

Bob Lawless

20. smsnyder

i did donate. i sponsored 19 kids with 19 shooting vests for the SCTP program this year. They are shooting at the PA. State Shoot as i speak.
    Furthermore i donated over $6000.00 in cash and items to the hof in the last few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.