1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Handgun Idea

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MTA Tom, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

What do you think of a handgun that fires when you grip it?

(From the "New Ideas from the Iventors" column in the February, 1953 issue of "Popular Science" magazine.)

2. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Stupid. There weren't so many lawyers back in 1953 I guess. These days you have to design to the lowest common denominator. That's why there's not many ladder manufacturers left, and the ladders you can buy look like they are held together by warning stickers.

HK did make the P7 which had a hinged front strap that cocked the striker but you still had to pull the trigger to fire it.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Well, it's 1953, when you have no idea smoking cigarettes will eventually kill you, and it was acceptable for James Bond to slap woman in the face ('63, From Russia with Love)

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I wanted to say we have learned a lot since 1953 and then I remembered who's president now.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's much easier to move the end of 1 finger to accurately fire a hand gun than to squeeze a whole hand and expect the sights to remain on the target.

Many of the "ideas" presented to this day in magazines have no practical counterparts and even fewer practical applications. They fall into the category of "Hey! Wouldn't it be neat if...?"

MK

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Kinda reminds me of those "Rim Blow" horns that Ford put in a lot of cars back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Now how would that work with a release trigger? Lol.

ss

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

There was a winter trigger on the M1 Garand that pivoyed off the back of the trigger guard and pulled the trigger when you squeezed the wrist of the stock with your hand. I had a Garand with the special trigger guard, but never tried it with a winter trigger.

8. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Unknown1 is exactly right. The gun has to be immovable from the grip to the shoulder. Ideally, you'd fire a gun electronically from a trigger in the non-gun hand, but the ISSF disallows that in Free Pistol.

In no case do you shift your grip, once you raise the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.