1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

interesting GAH winner averages

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i was looking at the ATA site on past winners of the Grand american handicap since 1994. I found the average GAH winner had a yearly average of only 88.14 in handicap events. Since 1994 10 out of 13 shooters were 24 yards or less. if you don't think you have a chance to win this grand event. Thing again, short yarders have the advantage. 7 shooters had 99 and 3 shooters had 100 straight to win this event. You can shoot above your average and win on any given day. The 4 27 yarders who won this event beat all odds. My hats off to them. remarkable shooting

2. smsnyder

i would never say a person is a sandbagger. Just classified wrong based on averages.

3. smsnyder

other interesting facts. the lowest score to win the GAH was 91 in 1900. There was only one shoot since 1900 that had a 200 bird grand american handicap event. Wonder what the story is in this event? This was 1942. Perhaps Kenny Ray or Neil knows the story behind this shoot. There was also shooters on the 16 yard line for some GAH event?

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Most GAH winners are just little guys who had a good day and the stars and planets all lined up for them. Most hit it big once never to be heard from again. Most won't call them Sandbaggers(unless they happen to come from KY.) in which case many(who have no facts to back their accusations) will. The GAH is the "Holy Grail" of trapshooting and year after year they come from all over to compete for it, hoping this will be THE DAY for them. As Dick Balwin put in in his Book "The Road to Yesterday"---- " They call it the Grand American,and I tip my hat to the man that named it. For it is Grand and it is American.Only here can millionaire with a $15,000 shotgun be put in his place by a high school drop out with an 1100 held together by electrical tape. Only here could one target mean the difference of always being remembered or never being remembered".--- I think his statement catches the spirit of the Grand and the Grand American Handicap. Only a chosen few will wear that coveted ring, have their picture hung in the hall of fame gallery, and have their names recorded in trapshooting history. Most are unknowns, but a few greats beat the odds and pull it off. We all hope that one day in August fate will smile on us and we will get to be in that select number!

5. smsnyder

slide action, you said it all. thanks

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Averages mean squat in the hcp. sandbagger debate.

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

"Most hit it big once never to be heard from again."

That is undoubtedly true. I wonder though, how many short yardage Grand winners have been back in later years, still from short yardage and shot near career best handicap scores at the Grand? I know nobody has repeated in the GAH, but how many have gotten into shootoffs more than once, if any?

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The amount of short yardage shooters at this one event prevailing don't surprise me. When "Mother Nature" co-operates, the high averages of our long yardage shooters will win their fair share too. If favorable weather conditions exist at this years Grand American Handicap, look for a long yardage shooter to be in the hunt again. Those high averages mixed with the growing number of good long yardage shooters is tough to beat. We'll soon see, if not this year, in the near future. Hap

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

My Handicap average is around 82 but I usually shoot in the low to mid 90's. The only reason its so low is because I had a few bad weeks where I was shooting a different gun because my other one was getting fixed and could not hit anything. I shot my worst score ever in those weeks, hopefully I'll never come close to that score again. Just because someone's average is low doesn't mean they aren't a good shooter.

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

My average is mediocre, but I always believe I will win it one of these years, and work towards that goal. My best is a 96, but I usually shoot less than 92. I play all the options except the 100, and have always paid for my shooting either with a 25 straight or the Lewis. This year I will be shooting penalty if I make it. Good luck

11. smsnyder

bad trap, if you believe you can win play the 100 options also. negative thoughts will never help you to win. negative is not playing that 100 purse. you heard it from SM

12. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

bad, I'm also sure you will win the GAH one day. It will happen the same year you win the lottery.

13. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I think I have better odds of winning the grand american handicap than the lottery.

14. smsnyder

bad trap, way to go

15. smsnyder

Kolar -G, I will do some research. i bet it is in the low 90's

16. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Hell he has better sense than the rest of us. We never win but continue to play the game. God love those sandbaggers..... Give us a break. - Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.