1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting facts on ATA Shtrs Entries Vs Age

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I was looking at the Missouri Fall Handicap participation using events 15-20-22
    at random I see that Trapshooting is this almost 50% are male shooters over
    60 years of age, This sport as it is, is an old shooters game here is what I found.

Event 15 had 441 entries 213 were over 60yrs old.

Event 20 had 474 entries 209 were over 60 yrs old

Event 22 had 568 entries 242 were over 60 yrs old

I will bet the ages were actually over 65 yrs old

It is an old mans sport who is retired and has a stable income and wants to do trapshooting and travel to shoots.

I can see why the older shooters want a 150 target program consisting of 50 singles, 50 Handicap and 25 pairs of doubles, this would not be an all day waiting to shoot program, and classification would be done on singles averages

with 3 yardage groups 18-20 21-23 24-27 winners to be decided by yardage group.

Now chime in on what you think but I would like for each respondent to state his age as this would help in the prognosis of desired shooting venue.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The reason I chose the later squads is they are the most shot events in normal ATA Events at large shoots.

If I could get the total shooters that shot ages would be a good accounting.

Registered shooting is becoming an old farts event anymore.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.lobgshot

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Sure, for "youngsters" the video games are a lot less expensive with more action, and no travel costs - you can play anywhere from a smartphone.

The "event winners" listing for the Mo. Fall Handicap also indicates there are lots of short yardage winners in the handicap events. Is the yardage reduction working? Hope they do annual yardage reductions each year into the future. Regards, Ed (age 72)

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Shooters follow the country's age statics. Baby boomer's age 54-66 represent 70 million people in a country of 310 million. Thats 22.5% of the population. Now add in the over 66 crowd, about 16% and what have you got, 40% of the population. Who has the money? Those over 55. Who has the time? Those over 55. ERGO: Who should clubs cater to? Those over 55. But then that's always the way it's been, even when I was a young shooter, the game hasn't changed, but I've gotten a lot older. I'm a first year Baby Boomer. And guess what,the over 65 group is growing at a rate or 10,000 a day or the fastest growing age segment in the country.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Respectfully... a seller only gets the customers who it asks to buy its goods and/or services. If you only solicit oldsters - that's what you get... go to the same well often enough you deplete its resources...

It does not have to be that way, but then an operation has to be willing modify it's business plan...

I look at our area's clubs, the programs that actively solicit younger, working age adults who make enough money to buy our entertainment, have vibrant operations that are profitable...

If you always do, what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got... not rocket science, just business...

Jay

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Unemployment amoung the 25-40 age group is nearly 24% when it's unadjusted. Add family expenses and early wage earners figures and it's easy to see why.

Kip

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

That means 75% are working. Shooting sports appeal to maybe 5% or 10% of that group and a smaller segment with the kind of jobs that enable 'em to play. Typical HS grad need not apply. Still plenty of people we're not reaching.

Then there's Sporting Clays!!

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If we'd have had XBox and PS3, we'd be still sitting in the basement too.

Bob Falfa

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

First if you only use those entered by sub-event you are missing a bunch of shooters in that age group because they don't declare catagory at the HC table. Second your numbers would be much different if the shoot was during students summer break. Lots of student shooters in school now. In general these numbers are skewed so badly as to be worthless except to support pre-conceived thoughts.

jim brown

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Actually, now, Gary, all of the categories at Point Shoots are age-based.

SJ: - 14

JR: 15 - 17

JRG: 18 - 22

L1: - 54

L2: 55 -

SubVet: 55 - 64

Vet: 65 - 69

SrVet: 70 -

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for Dr. Longshot to tell us where he got those number. I'm trying to figure out how you know someone is "male shooter over 60" when there is not a single ATA classificationt that is based on that criteria.

It couldn't be that Dr. Longshot, ATA expert, doesn't even know the ages for the various categories?

Scott

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If Gary based his post from those that declared Sub vet, Vet, or Senoir Vet, his numbers would not include male shooters over 55 that didn't declare.

Since he said "male", I'm assuming he counted the male, declared shooters in those 3 cats.

Anyone can get that data here on TS.com by pulling up the Missouri Fall Handicap events.

13. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I never declare VET at any shoot, I'm a good B shooter, why would I choose to shoot against AA & A shooters ??

14. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Many shooters over 65 never declare vet for the exact reason listed by jbmi.

15. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Moms Dads Grandpa's and Grand Ma's are bringing the younger shooters and supporting them. Up until college time (most of the time).After that they are pretty much on their on.

If they were a trust fund kid they will keep shooting, if not and have to go to work or have a family in the real world they opped for other activities they can afford until they make it in life and have the extra disposable income for things such as Trap. Golf is the same way.

I do not think the young people do not want to attend and shoot a Trap Toonament, but, rather they just plain can not afford it until later in life.

I just turned 60 and have cut my Trap way back. No practice and One Toonament a month for the wife and I, 16's and caps, no doubles anymore. We shoot sporting all the other weekends of the month and that is where we do our doubles targets plus we have a blast at Sporting clays and can shoot in the shade(a big deal in Florida during summer).

We shoot trap for the social aspect of it and shoot Sporting for the absolute fun of it.

16. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

This age thing is nothing new. I have been shooting since 1967. I am 72 years of age. Several of my friends have served as state or national level ATA delegates. Over 10 years ago, the Indiana State president told me the average age of ATA membership was 57. The average annual membership longevity is just over 3 years. I will second the notion that there would be a lowering of the age at the Missouri shoot had the numbers been collected at their July shoot. None the less, the oldsters do have more disposable income and that is what it takes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.