1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting experiment w/ one eyed shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Got to thinking some random thoughts about trap the other day, and for some reason it struck me how much easier it would be to just shoot with one eye. I shoot 2 eyes for skeet, which causes no problems, but I think with the much shallower angles trap presents, my non-dominant eye wants to take over more, due to the less lead the targets require. I shoot LH, and I especially have problems on hard left targets on one, dunno if that says anything or not. It seems when I miss at trap, I am either WAY out in front, or have no clue why I missed.

I am normally a 20-21 average trap shooter. Went out tnight, after not shooting a round of trap in about 9 months, and never shooting a round of trap with my non-dominant eye closed, shot a 22 the first round, and a 24 the 2nd (thats either my 2nd or 3rd 24 ever, I have one 25).

It seemed to me shooting with one eye that I basically pointed the gun at the target, almost like a rifle shot, with only a touch of lead on the angle targets, and the target broke with alot less effort than I normally put into it, alot more automatic then when I shoot 2 eyed.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any thoughts? I kinda stumbled onto this a few years ago, but didn't want to continue with it for fear it would mess up my skeet game, but I don't think it will anyways since its 2 completely different things...

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Oh boy...but you've opened yourself up for a raft of crap now...the stockholders of the 3M tape company will be along any minute with a heaping helping of their favorite elixir.

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Buzz..... I'm LMAO

Wayne

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

What ever blows your skirt up, Skeet man.

Jim

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It sounds like you may have discovered a better way for YOU to shoot and that's all that matters.

Ed

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I'm a one-eyed shooter and close one eye as opposed to using the tape on the glasses. Shooting in this manner severely limits your field of view. As a result your hold points and the area that you see to look for the target to appear are very important. You need to hold a low gun. You must look in the area where the target will appear and be able to see it fully until you break it.

You might also look at opening up your stance, especially on post one. Bill Malcolm

8. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

Skeetman,

I have switched from shooting two-eyed(w/patch) to one-eye. I need to close my eye about 2 shooters ahead of me, otherwise my sight 'view' of the field doesn't seem to clear up for me. I ran 50 last night , so it's working - 'for now'. That being said, I seem to shoot better regardless of one or two eyes, if I don't move the gun untill I see that target clearly.

John

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I read somwhere that 85% of all trap shooters are one eyed shooters.

10. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I shot with tape on lense for a good while, shooting in the eighties mostly. Started closing my left eye a few months ago and my scores have been rising. Finally shot a 50 straight for a 98 for singles recently, my best score ever...Bill

11. acre44

acre44 Member

I shot a 97 and two 98's at the PA State Shoot with one eye. I guess it works.

Todd.

:eek:}~

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

skeet_man

"I shoot 2 eyes for skeet, which causes no problems, but I think with the much shallower angles trap presents my non-dominant eye wants to take over more, due to the less lead the targets require."

I suggest that it is do to something you are doing different. I doubt very much your focus is close to the being the same from Skeet to Trap.

You keep mentioning lead I shoot both Trap and Skeet and I can't tell you what lead is I don't see any lead ever in Trap I shoot right at the target. In Skeet All I know is I have to be in front of the target to break it. Yet it doesn't seem to matter how far as long as I catch the target from behind and see daylight between the end of the gun and the target it will break.

In Trap it sounds to me like you spend to much time measuring the targets instead of pulling the trigger when the gun and target come together.

Of course if you prefer to do it your way go for it. Thats what the game is all about enjoying yourself.

Bob Lawless

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I generally call for the target with both eyes open and then close my left eye before shooting. I do this for all types of shooting. I started doing this when I was younger while hunting to lessen the distractions on the task at hand.

I do sometimes shoot with booth eyes open through the whole event, but I can't seem to control when that is going to be. I have no idea why, it is what it is.

ss

14. bigk

bigk TS Member

Sound that you are dropping your shoulder when you get those left handers bringing your right eye into play. Keep your eyes parallel with the ground at all times weither swinging to the left or right. Try a more upright stance and get someone to watch you.
    Worth a try.
    K

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Shot a couple rounds again using one eye. Shot a 24 on the first round (missed on the last post), and posted my 2nd 25 ever on the 2nd round. I think i'll stick with what "appears" to work... One caveat though, it seems like i'm opening my eye slightly as I pull the trigger occasionally, so I might go the tape route just to keep myself from doing this...

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I shoot much better with one eye than two, so does Nora Ross. Never experienced difficulty with depth of field, I'm focused on the target not the background. My field of view covers the entire house along with lots of space on both sides. I do hold on the top edge of the house and only miss a target release when my mind wonders.
    In the 5 years I've been shooting I've never seen a problem shooting one eyed, and have 5 100 straights doing so. Shoot what feels the most comfortable to you not what the guy next to you thinks you should do.

17. silverBB

silverBB TS Member

Well, for what it's worth, I'm a southpaw also and had one hell of a time with hard lefts from station #1. Tried the spot on the glasses and every other thing that anyone could come up with ...to no good end. Finally figured out that with my normal stance (foot position) on station one, with a hard left target I'm binding up as I swing, swinging much farther than I need to, and my off (right) eye is taking over causing the 'ghost' to lead.... then I shoot the ghost, and miss because I'm waaaaay out front of the bird. I finally moved my foot position so that I start faceing much farther to the left on that station and 'bingo' problem gone! Southpaws can swing much further to the right without binding at the waist, than they can to the left........just the opposite from right handed shooters. Worked for me and I still keep both eyes open. Mike

18. The Stive

The Stive Member

I am a one eyed shooter and shooting that way is very comfortable for me.
    Do what works for you. Keep shooting and your scores will come up. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

one eyed skeet shooting

shooting skeet with one eye

skeet withopne eye

the one eyed skeet shooter