1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting experience with UPS this afternoon !!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Went to UPS this afternoon, to send a receiver to have annual done and trigger work, insured for repalacement, and UPS starts cutting open my package after I informed them what was in it, and why it needed to be insured. I asked the person why he was cutting open the package, and he stated......" we have the right to open, and inspect whats in it." I was pissed, and asked them to SHOW me in black and white where they can do this. It took me quite awhile to pack the receiver properly, and besides, when I recently sold a gun, and shipped thru the same UPS office, and had the same person wait on me, they never did this before. The supervisor also stated, they can do this, they have the right to do so. I just wanted to have someone show me this new "law", thats all. I ended up taking it to the post office, no problem, insured it and sent to the gunsmith. Anyone else have this problem ?? Is this what UPS does now with anything gun-related, that has to be insured?? Just wondered,.....Rob

2. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have had them do the same when I wanted to insure a barrel for 3k.
    I think it's just cya for that kind of money

3. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I recently shipped a BT 99 to a FFL with no issues at UPS full service terminal.
    The clerk asked what it was, I told her it was a shotgun and she wrote down it was a rifle. Shipped insured with no other questions.

Dr. Honk

4. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Rick Barker, thanks for info. What bothered me the most was the way in which this guy, cut open my package, like it was a pinata. Thats all, just surprised me..............Thanks,..............Rob

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I used Fed Ex last time I shipped a BT99 and there were no problems at all. Matter of fact my UPS office refused to send a firearm that wasnt curio&relic.

Jerry Lewis

6. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

i went to a ups store today to check on shipping a shotgun to a ffl when i told them it was a shotgun they said they could not ship it i had to go to a terminal for ups 20 miles away. went to the post office and was told no problem and was told it was 10$ less to ship on price

7. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

Same experience here, UPS refused to ship a shotgun BARREL! Went to the Post Office, no problem.
    Good old U.S. Mail for me from then on.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

They want to see the item because of the high insured value. FedEx does the same thing sometimes.

I was told to go to the terminal for shipping a shotgun at one time, but when I got there, they didn't even bother to ask what's in it. So it really depend on who is behind the counter.

9. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

UPS - The Brownshirts of the cartage industry - Hamilton Bowen

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

High value items can be checked by any carrier for packing and to varify the contents. Fed Ex and UPS both have regulations the post office does not have. Yet both have far superior service than the post office. Things that make you go hmmm. Ever wonder how common carriers catch drugs being shipped thru them? Dogs sniff the drugs and then the package is opened to see what it is. Many scams are done with shipping insurance. The most common is insuring a package for a lot of money when the item inside is already broken. Then a claim is filed on the receiving end. Both parties will then split the proceeds when the claim is paid.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They are "self insured" and part of the insurance contract with the consignor in their tariff is the option to inspect the shipment. I see no problem with the practice.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I would be curious to know how often they open the freight shipped by companies that these things to you.

I am willing to bet a lot less frequent than when Joe Average is shipping it.

Bob Lawless

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I would not ship a paint ball gun with UPS. They've never treated my items worth a darn. They leave them uncovered on my front step so everyone can see it or take it. Half the time they don't cover it in plastic if it looks like rain (60 inchs a year here). At least Fed Ex tries to do these things. The US Post Office is still the best. I hope it will stay that way. Break-em all. Jeff

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Go ahead and ship with Brown and don't be suprised if they treat you like "Brown" when you have to file an insurance claim. Or you can go to the post office and have no way to track an item. Fedex is the best option anymore. Jeff

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The "problem" is poorly educated staff at both companies...

I have a FedEx account affiliated with the NSSF discount program, but some destinations are better served by UPS. I don't use "box shops", but I have had past issues with uneducated staff at FedEx and UPS "depots".

Know the rules and stand firm. Know what can be shipped "ground", which requires "air", insurance limitations, when signatures are required, etc...

Once, I had a situation when UPS "ruined" a perfectly good packaging job... I made them replace the packaging and repack the item... A FedEx clerk once refused to insure a ground item for more than $100... I called 800 FedEx who transfered me to the Depot Manager, who personally accepted my package and fully insured it...

Regards all,

Jay

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

UPS Has a bad history for me, I paid extra for a OVERNIGHT package for a Saturday Delivery and they got it on Tuesday, this happened 3 times and they never ever refunded me any money.

My local gunstore will not ship UPS because of losses and damages.

They or I have never ever had a problem with US Postal Service. And they are a lot cheaper.

A supplier shipped me a Compressor by UPS and they dropped it numerous times by the sight of the shipping box, actually broke the mounting plate from the compressor and lost oil from the compressor housing, took over 4 months to get paid for damages. And a replacement compressor.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

my last gun I shipped, a few months ago, UPS had me open up the box and check to make sure the gun was not loaded. The clerk was clueless about guns and just picked it up slightly and looked at it. Waste of time but that's their policy it seems. I never had that happen to me at FedEx.

18. smokinbuck

smokinbuck Member

I don't use UPS but when using FedEx they ask to see how it is packed if the insurance is over $500, if you packed it yourself. If you don't open it for inspection they will not take responsibility for condition upon receipt.
    Mark

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

pheasantsgalore,

Its a rule, not a law so you can go along with it or ship it some other way, they don't care ... I have shipped many guns with UPS, Fed Ex, and the USPS and never had a problem with any of them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I recently shipped a BT 99 to a FFL with no issues at UPS full service terminal. The clerk asked what it was, I told her it was a shotgun and she wrote down it was a rifle. Shipped insured with no other questions.

Dr Honk, they probably couldn't spell shotgun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.