1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

INTERESTING COMMENTS WATCHING ATA SHOOTERS!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i was out at the gun club this weekend. there was a ATA shoot going on. just happened to have a 200 16 yard event on Saturday. i heard some comments about the only people that could afford to shoot the event were the rich. i saw alot of shooters who normaly shoot ata in past years just watching this weekend. i have always realized that there will always be people who can afford this sport more than others. i hold no anamosity towards these shooters than can still shoot. it is just a fact of life. what i can't understand is why the ata, and clubs in general won't just go to the 50 target event for 16 yd, handicap, and doubles. i honestly believe that most shooters would then shoot atleast 2 events or possible all 3. it just seemed uncomfortable seeing people who normaly particpated, just watching on the sideline. i was asked by a few people particpating if i was shooting the event? i said know, but i plan to pick and choose where and when i will shoot ata this year. after thinking about it, i was planning to shoot some events at our state shoot, but realize i will probably be penalized. i believe this sport is going back to it's original roots, meaning it was never intended for the average guy. maybe it's time to shoot practice or leagues again. as i look at gas and lead prices, i wonder what will happen to our sport?
    steve balistreri

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Shooters will cut out events they don't like and save 33 - 66%. A lot of guys aren't keen on 200 singles, so they won't shoot it. No money and it can be a boring if your not into it. Most shooters are border line on doubles anyway as well.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why are you just stirring up more crap. Most places allow you to just shoot 100 of the 200. 50 bird events are like playing 4 holes of golf, 4 innings of baseball, 2 quarters of basketball. It just another way to water down the sport.

Don

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

With the price of gas no one I know would waste time going anyplace to shoot 50 targets ? I would go to a Marathon and shoot three or four hundred first . You can see how the big-50 went over with registerd shooters . ALF-99

5. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Steve: Your comments are accurate. Rising gasoline prices, reloading components, and target fees will have a dramatic affect on how shooters will spend their recreational dollar.

Club operators must remember that consumers have choices. Will they shoot trap, clays, or skeet? Or will they opt to spend their recreational dollar on another form of recreation? Considering the cost factor, in my opinion, the days of shooters traveling great distances to shoot a registered event are over.

The concept of 50 bird events (Big Fifties) should be re-evaluated, as 200 bird events maybe cost prohibitive.

Dave

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Steve,

I echo your thoughts. I am shooting only in a league which shoots 3 50 bird events once a month. I have to travel a bit further, once or twice, but I enjoy seeing new clubs.

JON

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I shoot ATA for the competition and the challenge to shoot at a high level. While Trapshooting is expensive, it is no more so than golf, bass fishing or several other recreational activities.

We all have financial limitations and we all have choices we have to make based on those financial limitations. Trapshooting cannot be made cheap enough so that everyone can participate. That is just a fact. If you cannot afford to shoot ATA competitively, you shouldn't. If you can afford to shoot ATA competitively then do so. What you shouldn't do is bitch and moan expect others accommodate your needs whether you can't afford to shoot competitively or don't want to pay the tab to shoot competitively.

I have to drive a minimum of 100 miles round trip to shoot. I do this two to three times per week. My car gets about 25 miles per gallon, at 200 miles that is 8 gallons of gas. For every dollar that gas goes up per gallon it costs me eight dollars per week. Compared to the other costs of shooting, it's immaterial.

Of course, I paid off my car years ago, I only paid $1500 for my trap gun, I don't have $10,000 worth of trap guns sitting in my safe that I don't shoot, and I shoot Wal-Mart Federal shells. Consequently, they don't complain about the cost of gas, the cost of targets or the cost of shells. The benefits I get from Trapshooting are significant compared to the cost.

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Doug -

I think there is a distinction between shooting and competitive shooting. Your analogy compares recreational golfing with recreational shooting.

Throw competitive golf into the mix and it's more in-line with competitive (i.e. ATA) trapshooting. You won't play in a tournament for $18 to $25 per round (in my area a sanctioned competition is around $100 per player for a single 18-hole round). Guys that play in those competitions are not playing with clubs from Walmart and you can be sure most of them change/upgrade their golf clubs as often as some shooters upgrade their trap guns.

Scott

9. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Steve, to each his own...but I'm sure as heck am not going to drive all over the place just to shoot 50 targets.

Also from a club owner's perspective...the more targets you throw the better.
    We had a club for close to 30 years and for many years threw 400 targets a day, had 50 plus shooters, and were done by 5:30.

More than likely, I would never take up sporting clays, just for that reason...you're there all day long to shoot 100 targets.

puablo

10. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

The big 50 was not ment to downsize the shoots that ata shooters attend. it was more geared to attract new shooters with little competition factor and no fees. now that it has been around for awhile there are still a few who throw these targets weekly and some who throw them twice a year. now they are charging the fees and with taret prices what they are it is not any cheaper to shoot. i can shoot one hundred ata targets at one club for what it cost to shoot the big 50 at another. I too have been picking and choosing my ata events and I will only be shooting two events at our state shoot this year. if you cant afford it dont buy it. isnt that what you were alwayts taught?

11. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

Being new to sport I don't hold much weight. But I am with the majority here, I would not drive to a club just to shoot 50 birds. When I practice which is less and less now b/c of shell costs I usually shot ATLEAST 150-200. The majority is also right in that it is in line with or cheaper than some other recreational events. I have not even broke the boat open yet this year for the simple fact that for me to get the boat to decent fishing this time of year it would be $40 of gas just to get there not including trolling all day burning another $40-60 and then $40 to get home. I would rather spend $100-$150 driving to a club and shooting 100 singles and 100 handicap, or 200 singles and 100 handicap. Probably around the end of June I will switch to more fishing than shooting as I can run 25 minutes and $10 for gas to get decent fish. The other thing that pushed me to spend my $$$ of ATA shooting for the past 3 months is that I know that when I shoot I will get to watch atleast a few birds smashed to dust, there's NO gaurantee that I will catch a big fish if I spend the time/money doing that, that's why it's called fishing not catching. I would rather see orange smoke/dust than drive around burning ridiculously expensive gas to maybe hear the drag go off on a decent fish.

Allan

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would shoot a 50 bird event if I could not find a club throwing 100 birds. I would shoot a 100 bird event if I could not find a club throwing a 200 bird event. I would shoot a 200 bird event if I could not fine a club hosting a marathon of around 500 birds.

Shooting a typical 100/100/100 three event day is nice was to spend a day. Shooting two hundred singles, one hundred handicap and 200 doubles is a great day.

Pat Ireland

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It is going to be a very tough summer for clubs holding registered events.

14. chuckles

chuckles Member

I think the ATA Trap shooting formats are just fine exactly the way they are and have been for over a hundred years...

There will always be whiners and crybabies no matter what...

It is a shame that Lead prices, Gasoline prices and Ammo prices have risen so dramatically in the last couple of years but we can hardly blame that on the ATA and their shooting format...

I have backed off my ATA shooting for more club shooting of Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and games/special events...ironically I now spend more money than if I just shot ATA.

Shotgunning for Clay birds is a blast no matter what....

I think it is great that we have a competitive side to the sport in ATA, NSCA and NSSA....

regards

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

The cost of shooting targets has not yet "bit" me. Reloading and bulk buys on components/shells have eased ammunition costs. Target prices (either ATA or practice) have not skyrocketed out of sight.

I am fortunate to be within a 70 mile driving distance of Mason. Another $10 a day in gas is not significant - so I can shoot the Great Lakes Grand, State shoot, Team shoots, etc without a major impact on costs. I understand that folks getting 10 MPG with large trucks pulling 5th wheels are getting impacted.

Like Mr. Ireland, I enjoy trigger time. Health and work keep me from shooting as much as I would like too.

50 bird events may work for some but I would not drive very far to shoot 50 birds. If my club had them, I would shoot them as I would be there anyway. If, as suggested, they help keep shooters active then offering them makes sense. I think most shooters will still want the 100 bird events - even if it means they shoot less often.

I see a lot of the old timers not participating anymore at the club I joined. For a few, the economy has had an impact. For others, they have lost interest, or they cannot shoot good scores any longer, - so the economy gets the "blame".

It is not all about costs from the view I have.

My big concern is the clubs - especially my club. If they were not making tons of money in the "good old days" of the sport, they will not survive as trap clubs. A club managed by the "old guard" that is unwilling/unable to change is doomed. I fear a trap only club cannot last - I hope I am 100% wrong.

Don

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

VTA Hall of Fame this weekend--500 targets Sat, & 300 Sun sounds like a great couple of days Pat!

Hope to meet you there,

Guy Babin

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. At Markham Park in S. Florida we are in the process of making up our 2008-2009 ATA schedule. We are increasing our normal 2 (2nd Saturday-4th Sunday) ATA events per month to 3 ( 2nd Saturday- 4th Saturday & Sunday)events per month. In addition we are going to be part of the Florida Chain Shoot in January of 2009. Lack of attendance at our shoots has never been a problem.

Eric

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I shot at a club awhile back and they had a prize of 4 boxes of shells for high overall. About 22 people shot the singles and handicap. 3 people shot doubles. I won both singles and handicap. The gift was awarded to one of the three that shot doubles. I out scored him by 6 birds in singles and 5 birds in handicap. The point that I'm making is, doubles is questionable in terms of value to the shooter. So, the range offset the shell cost, but it still cost to shoot 50 pairs of doubles. ERGO: I don't shoot doubles as there is very little reward for the cost and effort. Maybe doubles should be done away with or moved to the 25 or 27 yard line to make it more worthwhile.

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

And your complaint is?? They should have changed the rules because you are great. The reward was for all three events, you knew that going in so if you wanted consideration you should have shot the doubles and not complained.

Doubles happen to be lots of fun and very rewarding. JMHO

Don

20. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

shot410ga ... WOW, that really sucks but ya see what happens when ya don't shoot it all? I would bet that for 4 boxes of shells it would have been worth learning and shooting doubles if prizes were always that good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata shooters comments