1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting attachment to a certain shotgun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Like most trapshooters, I am always on the prowl for certain trap shotguns. It is usually a gun that someone has that is either cast left for a left hand shooter, as I am left handed, or a gun that is no longer in production.

Recently, I noticed a man at one of the local gun clubs holding an old Remington 870 TC. After speaking to him, I found out that the gun was made in 1964 and it was the first gun that he ever purchased with his own money that he had earned while working at his first part time job.

He allowed me to shoulder his gun and for a left hander the gun fit perfectly. I pointed out to him that the stock was cast left even though he shot right handed, and the stock was mounted on a right handed 870.

He did not care, as he said it broke targets for him. I asked him if he would like to sell it, and he commented that there was not enough money in this world that would make him sell this particular gun.

In the past, I have often heard a shooter say the same thing, but as soon as you offer that shooter some green backs the gun is sold and placed in the trunk of my car. I offered him a brand new right handed cast stock and forearm for his wood and he declined the offer.

I even offered to purchase him a new 870 TC for his gun and he still declined my offer. After I left the club, I said to myself, that you have to respect a person that has such an attachment to his shotgun.

Any one out there have a gun that you would never sell no matter the offer? What I have found in cases like this, it may not be a gun that you shoot particulaly well, but you have some other attachment to the gun. Please tell us your story why you would never sell or trade away your gun?

Steve Balistreri

2. burtona

burtona Member

I have a Stevens 12 ga. pump with a Poly Choke. It was made in about 1949-50 and was given to me by my parents for a Christmas when I was 9-10 years old. I'll never sell it but I'll give it to one of my grandson's when the time is right.
    Dave

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have a few that would require some serious coin. Far more than they are worth on the market.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My dads old Stevens model 311. I remember him getting it in '60 or '61 as a birthday present from his dad. Killed a lot of pheasants with it. Probably my most prized possession. Bill

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Everything is for sale if the price is high enough

I kind of have fun with somebody when I ask them how much they want for something, and they say "It's not for sale" I then say "Well I was going to give you XXX for it" The XXX was about 4 or 5 times wheat it was worth, and they always say he$% yes I will sell it for that, then I just say well I changed my mind and walk away

6. bricky10

bricky10 Member

My Winchester model 37 20 Ga. single shot, My father gave it to me when I turned 12, His grandfather gave it to him the day after the Japanizee bombed Pearl Harbor

7. cnsane

cnsane Member

My poor dead son's 6" Python. I helped him pick it out and loaned him the money. Some memories are never for sale

8. senior smoke

After reading some of your reasons behind not selling certain guns that you have, I have to respect that. I wish that I could say that I have a gun that I would never sell, but truth be told I don't. You are lucky if you have that type of gun along with the memories.
    Steve

9. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I have several.
    1. My gandfathers single-shot Winchester model 67 .22. I shot my first rabbit with it when I was about 8.
    2. My grandmothers Stevens Visible action pump .22. When grandpa and I would not bring back enough rabbits for dinner, she would put 3 shells in it, go for a walk down the fencerow and come back with 3 rabbits.
    3. My first shotgun. a Remington 1100 20 gauge I got for 8th grade graduation in 1974. Many a dove and bobwhite taken in the past. Now on occasion I shoot a little sporting or 5-stand with it.
    4. My second shotgun, a Remington 870 Wingmaster I bought with my first income tax refund check in 1979. I got back $190 that spring and I paid $179 for the gun. This is what I shoot trap with to this day.
    5. My deer rifle. A"Amish Aoutomatic" Remington 760 in 30-.06. I recently ran the serial number through Remington's website and it was made in 1952. Taken over 100 deer and a pick-up full of coyotes with this old gun.Looks like hell but still drives tacks and kills deer.

I would not part with any of these guns for any amount of money. Although if the number had about 6 0's behind it, we could dicker.

10. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

My grandfathers 1951, 870 Wingmaster. Smooth as silk and never fails. From West Allis too!

11. senior smoke

Remdog:
    Nothing like an old 870, especially from West Allis.
    Steve

12. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I am an only son and my dad passed away in 1985. Since I have all his guns and my own too, I have some that will never be sold. Like Dads Model 12 16ga on the lightweight frame. Or the 740 Rem. in 30-06. I have one in particular that there isn't enough money in the world to buy that is my 870TB that I bought with my own money earned in a college cafeteria back in 1972. Probably too many rounds thru it to count and has never been repaired for anything or malfunction.

Chuck

13. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I have a Winchester Model 12 my grandfather bought new in the early 1930s. I think he paid between $35 - $40.00 for it. I had it restored by NuLine a few years ago. It has a 26" barrel and modified choke. It's not any special Model 12, but is special to me because my grandfather died the year before I was born.

I have a Rem 1100 I bought new in 1974. It's got 3-4 cases of shells through it but it pretty much sits in the safe and looks like new. Full choke 30" barrel.

Also have a Colt Army Special 38 revolver I acquired a few years ago from a friend. It was made in the early 1920's and belonged to a Chicago cop. When I got it, I sent it to Colt and had it completely redone. It looks new and shoots like a dream. The action is very similar to the Python - smooth and silky. Looks very much like the gun Andy Garcia uses in The Untouchables scene in the train station.

I can't imagine selling any of these, although Lord knows I have bought and sold my share of guns.

Gene in Illinois

14. spritc

spritc Active Member

I'm going to be buried (not really) with two model 12s, a 20 ga. field full choke and the one you see below.
    kolardude_2008_0303161.jpg

kolardude_2008_0303162.jpg

15. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I have given several away I would never sell!! But they are in good home's My Dad's Model 12 custom stock went to a youngman that my Dad always was found of.

Model 12 16 with straight english stock went to my uncle that my dad taught to hunt and shoot with that gun.

And most recently a custom made 300 win that was in a family for many years and when times got tough we were able to buy it, I just felt it needed to be back in that Family.

But I do have my Grandads Model 74 Winchester that cannot be bought, when I was young we would drive down the railroad tracks (on them) a mile or so to an old dump and he would let me shoot a box of shells then we would drive home.

16. senior smoke

Chuck:
    Sorry to here about your father. I am happy to here that you will not sell these guns.
    Steve

Kolardude:
    Love the looks of that model 12. But it smokes targets real good.
    Steve

Double auto:
    Great way to show love and respect.
    Steve

4EVRYOUNG:
    Nice thing to do.
    Steve

17. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

My first shotgun given to me by my Dad. Will never be sold and will be passed on to my kids or grandkids at the proper time.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

A dear friend gifted a Mod 12 to me he's gone now for about 10 years. It was his trap gun of choice and it's mine, it will never be sold.

19. LostPostOne

LostPostOne TS Member

I will share. My mother passed away in 1978 I was 11. The next year my grandfather was here deer hunting. He always carried a model 12 and Remington Model 31 both field grade. He made me get in his truck for a case and put that 31 in it and said its yours. My wife says its going in my casket. We dont have kids and i am very paticular about it. I also have a Remington Target master 22 my dad got from his mom when he was 16. I dont know what to do with them but they wont be sold while I am upright and walking.

Bryan

20. senior smoke

Nice to read stories of fathers and friends giving guns to each other and that you will not sell them. A lot of you are outstanding individuals with a high degree of character.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.