1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interest in low priced custom delrin add-ons?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Just had some delrin ribs made for a friend of mine from a CAD drawing I made, and they turned out great, so i'm thinking of adding a line of add-on ribs to my product list in addition to the barrel weights i make. The rib would be custom cut to the width of your rib, including ribs that taper from side to side (something that was not available without an upcharge until now), as well as length. The only limitation I would have would be that I am not able to make them to adjust POI, they'd be parallel height front to back (so they'd be similar to the Hydeal ribs). I'd probably offer them in 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" to start as standard thicknesses available, but there are alot of different thicknesses of stock available that I could order for a specific project and come up with pricing for on a per job basis.

The delrin ribs are VERY lightweight compared to aluminum (the 1/8" delrin rib I just had made weighs 58% of an identical aluminum rib). I've not come up with pricing yet as i've only been toying with this idea since this morning, but they'd be under $100 (pricing would depend on the height required due to the higher cost of material as the thickness increases).

Is there enough demand for this for me to go forward with this venture? If this is something you'd be interested in, drop me an email and we'll hammer out the details.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Having used several of the ribs out there, I would address these questions and see if your ribs would "measure up."
    (1) Can you make them a uniform black color to blend in with the bluing?
    (2) Will there be a vertical ramp at the breach end?
    (3) Will the top of the rib have some type of serration,stipling,checkering, etc. to prevent reflection and glare.
    (4) Will they be available with guide holes for tapping for front sight and center bead; or, better yet, will you actually do the tapping?
    (5) It is not absolutely critical to have a side to side taper, since 5/16" to 3/8" covers most of the ribs, but it would be a nice touch. (e.g. the 391 rib tapers from 5/16" to 3/8."
    (6)Side slotting, or holes drilled in the rib, besides lightening the rib, reduce wind resistance and add a kind of "trick" look.

I am currently using a Hydeal rib, and I was very please with the product and the service. However, even with the lightening holes, it adds noticeable weight to the barrel, and the top of the rib is too shiny. It is priced about $ 20 less than what you are forecasting.
    The EZ hit rib actually had a serrated top surface that avoided the reflection problem. I think those ribs are now marketed by American Standard Company, but at three times the EZ Hit price.

Good luck.

3. skeet_man

Dick- i'll try to answer your questions in order. 1. They are uniform black delrin and appear to blend into the bluing quite well. 2. Yes there will be a ramp at the breech end. I know a number of ways to do this, i'll use my friends rib as the experimental set to see which is the easiest and produces the best results. 3. The top will have a matte finish. I plan to achieve this with some fine grit sandpaper and a sanding block. Again, my friends rib will be the experiment for this. Another thought would be to use matte paint, however delrin requires a special paint to use as it has properties similar to teflon in that coverings don't like to stick to it so std paint would probably just flake off. 4. I'll probably end up drilling and tapping them, since not everyone is setup to do one, the other, or both. 5. As far as the side to side taper, that came from the work i've done so far w/ kolar guns, which have a .12 degree taper (.400 to .300 approx), which would look horrid if the add-on wasn't tapered to match. 6. As far as the side slotting, i'm not setup to do that, and drilling a series of drilled holes would increase the labor cost. A 1/2" tall add-on rib will only add 4.4oz anyways, and I don't think you'd loose enough weight by slotting or drilling it to make a huge difference.

4. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

How do you plan to attach the rib?

5. skeet_man

RTV Silicone, the same way Keensights attaches theirs.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A barrel with a Delrin rib has very litte resale value. That should tell you something

7. skeet_man

cubancigar2000- Why would a barrel w/ a delrin rib have a resale value any less than that of the same barrel without, since the delrin rib is removable and the barrel can easily be converted back to a factory setup??

ExFedex- I really have no evidence one way or the other. However, Dennis Devault, Jerrie White, and Tom Wilkinson all build delrin add-on ribs and have been for sometime and I'm sure they would have found an alternative by now if that was an issue. The gas exhaust from the porting isn't directly aimed at the rib more at a 45* angle) so its not like its getting hit with the full force of the gas exiting the ports. The aluminum add-on rib I have on my rem 1100 w/ proport pigeon ports has been powdercoated, and after almost 2 years shooting it there isn't any visible change in the finish of the powdercoating.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Skeet_man,

Would your ribs just ride on top of the existing rib, or stradle it like a Keensights rib? I believe the later to be a very superior way of mounting it.

ec90t

9. skeet_man

My ribs will sit on top of the existing rib. I was unaware that the keensights rib went over the existing rib covering the top and sides rather than on top of it.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

ExFedex- My delrin add on ribs have not been damaged by the exhaust form my ports, nor have they been damaged by the acetone I use to clean out the ports.

Pat Ireland

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have an 870 Comp with an add-on rib that I believe to be a Keensights. I bought the gun used and it was already on it.

ec90t

12. Mark V

Mark V Member

I thought I've read that delrin is difficult to adhere to most surfaces. I did some web browsing a while back looking for delrin adhesives. If I recall correctly it epoxies well to itself.

Have you had any success using RTV adhereing delrin to steel?

13. skeet_man

NY- Thats one of the obstacles I'm trying to overcome right now. I have some ideas but haven't tried them out yet. The other obstacle is the person i'm having cut the ribs hasn't cut anything thicker than 1/4" in delrin yet, so I have to get material samples to them to make sure up to 1/2" will cut correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.