1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Insuring Guns Against Damage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pdq, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

I saw the other thread about the gun damaged when shipped by FedEx, and others saying they preferred USPS or UPS, and others asking whether to buy insurance from them when shipping. From my experience, even if you buy insurance from them, you are pushing a string to try to collect in a timely manner.

From my experience, it is far better as someone stated to take out a rider on your homeowners insurance policy, or purchase insurance from a company such as SIAI.

Example. I dropped off my Silver Seitz with Rich Phillips in Parkton MD to have some work done, with the gun in its Americase. When the work was done I was busy, so instead of me driving over to get it, he shipped it overnight via UPS, with insurance.

The box arrived the next day without any signs of damage, but when I opened the Americase, the last 1 - 2 inches of the adjustable comb had broken off and with sufficient force that it also sheared off part of the back of the stock. The package had obviously been dropped very, very hard to cause so much damage.

I took pictures and sent them to Rich. He hounded UPS regarding an insurance claim, but nothing -- weeks went by. They weren't even returning his calls.

Frustrated, I then called my homeowners insurance agent to see if damage while in transit was covered, and within an hour I had a call from a claims adjuster and 3 days later I was holding a check in my hands.

I subsequently switched my coverage to SIAI as I found that their policy was just as comprehensive as my homeowners insurance company, but about 40% less expensive.

Just one guys experience.

Pete

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I agree with Pete. A homeowners policy covers lots of things you might not expect. My Wife had a chicken fly into the grille of her Cadillac many years ago and when she went to the house, the owner told her he had NO money. (they appeared to be quite poor). I sent her back to see if they had home owners insurance. They did, and Allstate paid for a new grille for her car. Larry

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

4. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

I stopped by my local UPS center to send out one of my trap guns and I asked the young lady what happens to the money that you pay for insurance when they don't pay for a claim? Most times they claim you don't pack it right or whatever and won't pay a claim. Seems to me that if they don't pay a claim then you shoul get your insurance money back. She also said that UPS will only pay what the gun is worth, not what it's insured for. I asked how do they know what the gun is worth? She told me that they send the gun out to a professional gun appraiser to determine a value! I'm a little skeptical of that answer. I was a UPS driver in the early 80s and my route was in N.E Washington DC and I know that UPS rarely pays for a claim, they would almost always say that the parcel was improperly packaged. Insurance is almost a scam!.......Dan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.