1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Insurance lady just told me....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 320090T, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Lady from Siai (Sportsman Insurance Agency) told me Al Timney died LAST year and that parts and service for his triggers is no longer available. I emailed her back and told her I was pretty sure Al was still alive and I am positive that Phil Crenwedge will service 3200's and that Stu Wright will do the rest. I'm sure Phil can too but the point is that Al's stuff lives on. Her point was that parts are no longer available then the insured value is close to zilch. She also noted that a 90T low rib is worth $1350 in 95% condition. I have never seen one that cheap.

2. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

I have dealt with SIAI for many years.They are very nice to deal with and are
    flexible on gun values depending on condition,upgrades,etc. I have some plain
    guns as well as some HighGrades with them.If you can't agree with Heidi,ask to
    speak to Hollis Boss...He will always work with you on values. Paul in Virginia

3. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

Ther is no way a 90-T is going for 1350.00 in 95% condition. IMHO that is atleast 500-700 to low.
    Josh

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Paul. Hollis Boss insured my DB-81 for it's full replacement value. Now that a DB-81 is no longer available from Perazzi, my replacement value will cover another Perazzi combo of equal value should it be stolen. Great company to do business with and very accomodating to your firearms insurance needs.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I *just* bought a Timney trigger for a Rem 700 direct from Timney.

I dealt with a female who was very friendly to deal with. She set the trigger pull as requested and when it arrived, it was labeled with the trigger pull and my company's name on it inside the buddle carton.

Go go Google and search for their site.

Alan has not been dealing with the company, obviously, for a long, long time.

Whiz White<BR>
    S&W Supply Co

6. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

I love Heidi and Hollis and Sportsman’s Insurance, but I am also friends with Al and talk to his brother-in-law Tom and his nephews Bob and T,at least once a week.

Al sold off part of his trigger company several years ago and as far as I know, that company is still in business. He continued to service another part of the company until about a year ago; Al is still alive, but no longer in business.

Dicksie Spolar

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

3200, it's easily done, take the 90T to a dealer that knows Trapguns and get it appraised-----if you know them well and do business there, probably won't charge you anything for the appraisal on their letterhead.

Take pictures of the gun, including the serial number and send them and the appraisal to Hollis---he isn't hard to deal with.

Pretty much goes along with any parts/triggers---you need to deal first with a gunsmith or dealer that keeps up with this stuff, Hollis and Co. doesn't, they've got a book.

Of course if the gun is still in production in any form, then they've got to use replacement figures to go by.

I went thru somewhat the same thing almost a year ago, their value of this particular NIB gun was well over $1000 too low----now, I don't intend to take them up on their services just because I paid a premium, but insurance is for the unthinkable.

I took the gun to a well established gunshop, got it appraised (actually higher than the figure I wanted), took pictures and emailed/faxed it to them. Just took a little time-----got a note from them later saying it had been added to the policy and I owed XX dollars. Nothin to it.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So by the insurance company logic, since John Moses Browning is dead, the original pre-Winchester single shot rifles he made would have no value?<br>
    |<br>
    What does the Blue book of Gun Values say about the gun? And I would think some affidavits about the value of a Timney trigger would help clear that nonsense up.<br>
    <br>
    I hate insurance companies.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Simple solution if you don't like dealing with them don't. Self insure - problem over.

Burden of proof of value is always yours. Do it before the loss or after - which do you think is easier.

Don

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How do you prove the value of guns? For instance--you have several guns that you paid $200.00/ 20 years ago. They are seen on Gun Broker, for $1200.00 ea. today. How do you prove value & condition? How can you prove value, if they've never been appraised? How can you prove value if they're no longer in production? I think there are too many ways for insurance companies to beat you. Especially on a lot of miscellaneous guns if you have a fairly good sized collection. How do you protect your keep sakes?

Lou

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

First of all do an inventory with pictures. Have the inventory appraised by dealer, even if you don't have it appraised you have a record. How is the Insurance company going to beat you. You just want to give them a arbitrary figure and expect them to pay. Establish your value before any loss. If you don't then you are going to get what the insurance co. says, because the items are not here to look at and appraise. The only person who is going to beat you is yourself.

If you think the Insurance Co. doesn't trust you then you are right.

Don

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you think I don't trust the insurance company then you are right also.

HM

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have my guns insured for an agreed value and pay the premium accordingly ... I have a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere I, 2 door sedan, with a high performance Hemi engine under the hood that is insured for $80,000 which is agreed value (they wanted pictures and bills of the restoration) and I pay a premium for that amount of coverage ... I'm not sure that all Insurance Company's use an agreed value method but the ones I deal with do and the cost is not as bad as most people would think it would be based on the coverage ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Nationwide (Allied) and Grundy Worldwide are the company's I use to insure everything I own ...

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

C'mon guys...you all know that insurance companies and their rep's are just a half a wrung higher on the pond scum scale than that of a used car salesman.

So, an insurance company not doing the right thing should come as no surprise!

Curt

15. economan

economan TS Member

I think the issue with insurance companies undervaluing trap guns originates in their reliance on the blue book of guns. I recently purchased and insured a BT99 Max. Purchase price was $1,200 blue book value was $900. A brief review of gun dealers will show the blue book value is understated.

Has anyone else had this problem with blue book value being understated?

16. whiz white

We do have some great trapshooters here on this site who are insurance people.

I would not catagorize all of them as "half a wrung higher on the pond scum..."

I call this "cab driver talk", but then there are probably some great guys who drive cabs too.

Whiz

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I rode in a cab a few times, didn't care for the Turbin look ... One guy had a picture of his Camel and his wife hanging from the sun visor, I asked him which one was his wife and he said the one with the ear rings ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

That's right Curt we are all crooks. I've told you before if you don't like Insurance then don't buy it, do it on your own. We are so bad my small agency paid out over $750,000 in claims last year, a majority were for acts of stupidity on the insured's part. If we put a stupid clause in the policy we could cut our claims by 50% and then reduce premiums for everyone.

Why should a Ins. Co believe you, next to cops Insurance people are the most lied to group around. Some of you believe there is a unlimited pot of money and you are entitled to as much as you can grab.

90% of my clients are good honest people, the other 10% I would get rid of in a flash if I could, Curt you would probably be in that 10%.

Don

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

and I didn't need any bait...geez!

Ok Whiz...2 wrungs!!

Curt

20. whiz white

Alan Timney is no longer alive (see below). Been trying to tell you folks this for last couple of years, AND/BUT the business continues. They have stopped making shotgun triggers, but are considering starting again.

Here is an email I received this morning (7-21-08) from them...

[​IMG]

Whiz White<BR>
    S&W Supply Company

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.