1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

insurance for guns??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jackaroo, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackaroo

jackaroo TS Member

any advice on where to get good quality insurance on firearms? (coverage,price ect.) thank you.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

SIAI (www.siai.net). I think I paid $140 for 10k of insurance on my kolar. Never want to have to go through loosing a gun, but at least I know if I do i'll be able to afford to get another one (it was a LOAD off my mind when I flew w/ a gun for the first time this year).

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have SIAI as well and couldn't be happier. For $146.00 per year I have $12,000 worth of insurance on my Perazzi. I have FULL replacement coverage, not a pro-rated, deductible, depreciated percentage type policy. If my gun gets stolen, I will receive exactly what I have in the gun, including any barrel work, custom stock, Precision trigger, etc. so I can replace it without taking any money out of my pocket. Very easy company to work with, and they understand trap guns.....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I looked into this and have concluded that one is better buying a good quality gun safe instead of paying the exorbitant high insurance premiums to protect your firearms. However, if you travel and have a "high end" gun; the safe will not protect you. Figure out what suits your needs, I have a collection of Winchesters that total out to a quite a large amount of money. (For me anyway). I am comfortable leaving these guns in my safe while I am away from home. I usually travel with only 2 or 3 of my trap/sporting clays guns. My homeowners policy will cover them while I travel. Keep in mind though that these 3 guns are a Beretta 682 combo, a Model 12 and a Super X-1. If I were to ever own a Kolar, Perazzi, Kreighoff, etc. my mind might be changed to consider insuring them. Keep in mind that your homeowners policy does cover a certain amount. (Usually about $5,000). Check with your agent to make sure. Mine agreed that a good safe was a lot more economical than insuring them. Ed

5. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Most Homeowners policies max out today at $1000 on firearms, under the contents coverage. They must be appraised and scheduled to get real value. SIAI is a good deal if you travel with expensive guns.

6. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

All insurance companies are great until it comes time to cover a loss. Has anyone actually been paid by SIAI? Just curious.

LL

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

$375.00 a year to cover my $30,000.00 Kolar from Siai. NRA wanted more and so did homeowners insurance.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

American Family covers 5,000 for guns, and there is a rider for another 5,000 for about 20 bucks a year.

Allstate covers 3 Thousand and wants scheduling and exr\tra premium for more than that.

Industry standard seems to be 1 & 1/4 percent for a premium. That's 125 for a 10,000 dollar gun. Some companies want appraisals, some don't.

Go shopping. Anyone finding a better deal than American Family let me know.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.