1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Instructors; who are these people?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BUFFALO SOLDIER, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BUFFALO SOLDIER

BUFFALO SOLDIER Member

My son and I have been shooting trap a few years. This year we decided to join

the ATA in March. We've shot at a few events. I ended the year with 1700

targets totaled . Here's the scenario-We're at a shoot I've finished my event

and you know someone all ways ask how did you do? My normal responses is it

could have been better then here it comes out of their pocket a card (Trap

Instructor). I take the card to be polite then I get home look the person up,

(their ATA average) and find out they never received a punch or never pass

the 23 yard line. My question is what makes them an Instructor? This has happen

to me twice. I know someone wants to know so here it is my single average

right now is 96.8% and my HCP is 95.3%. So I ask, What makes them an

instructor?

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

... their ego!

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I agree with Carol....ego reins supreme. You and your son would do yourself a great service by taking a clinic from Phil Kiner or Britt Robinson or Leo or whomever of the greats are instructing in your area. JMHO

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

At a certain level you will need your instructor to be a top level competitor just because he has learned certain aspects of the game you just can't learn any other way. He can give you shortcuts to help you refine your game.

That doesn't mean to be a good instructor or coach you have to be a top competitor. In fact many top competitors make poor coaches because they are just not cut out for it. Some expect you to shoot their way no matter what, others have no patience for those without their co-ordination and athletic skills. So someone who is a good coach and instructor can be an average shooter themselves. The ability to teach is not achieved by simply becoming one of the best in your field.

The best coaches I know won't ask you, you will have to seek them out and ask them to teach you.

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Seems to be someone fertilizer the instructors and they are sprouting up every day in droves.....basic, intermediate, master, ninja,contractor sof, defensive, offensive level for everything from sling shots to NFA(legal or not) to artillery.......The one thing with all these card carrying certified experts seems to be their insistence on being payed in cash.......And boasting that it don't get any better than this, and how they forget to pay taxes.

What puzzles me is when I see an NRA/ATA course.......I wasn't aware that the NRA had endorsed the ATA.

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"ATA SHOOTING COACHES come from one of two avenues:

(1) Successful completion of the NRA/ATA Trap Coach School, or

(2) Successful completion of the NRA/USAS Shotgun Coach School. Graduates of the NRA/USAS Shotgun Coach School must register with ATA by signing a form that they have in their possession and have read the “Trap Fundamentals” section of the Coach School curriculum, by giving their NRA/USAS credential expiration date, by paying $10 for three year’s credentialing, and by being members of ATA. NRA conducted mailings December through January to all 600+ NRA/USAS Shotgun Coaches which included the “Trap Fundamentals” section and the form to request to become an ATA Shooting Coach. If you did not receive this mailing and believe you should have, please contact Edie Fleeman, ATA Youth Development Director, efleeman@shootata.com, for assistance."

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What makes them an instructor? Their ability to make an improvement in your shooting. Finding one that helps you to your next level is the trick, but you get to decide who you're going to use. The least you can do is talk to them to see what they offer.

I've tried Hoppe, Kiner's video, and DeVault and I've learned some things from each to varying degrees. They've all helped my game. And so did a pushy guy at the club who took my picture years ago and proved I was coming off the gun. Another guy said, "You're aiming" on his way to fill the trap house. The ensuing discussion lead me to my game as I know it today.

It takes alot of humility to be open to instruction however life brings it to you. At the DeVault clinic the first thing they did was move my rib all the way down at the end of my barrel for a higher poi and suggest I shoot a .025 constriction choke instead of Xtra Full. Took 90 percent of the wind right out of my sails. It's going well now, but that first week was tough. What really made a difference was the simple exercise of shooting high poi versus low poi settings at straight aways. You see, you always get to decide what you go with. And I wanted some help; I had just shot a 99 in singles and 87 at yardage. I would say I was 'overbored' for singles.

I'm not that good and I certainly don't shoot much ATA, but I can see that the raw rookie at the club with his dad is holding the gun too low at the shoulder and shooting over every single target. What would you subscribe for a shooter like this? I tried a direct change by telling him to move the butt pad higher, and helping him do it before the next shot. The shot after that he was back to the same mount. That night I thought of taking him over to the pattern board to show him the effect of his mount and seeing if he would make the correction himself.

It's all relative: your ability, your openess to change and the instructor's abilities. If you won't change, your scores won't change. Change is not easy for any of us, but it is fun, in the end.

Good luck.

Joe

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Instructors come in many forms and abilities. Just ask any attractive young lady in her first visit to a gun club!!

9. joe kuhn

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I have an friend whose card says EXPERT.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

oleolliedawg

That's funny, and true!!!

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Teachers teach. One does not have to be great at something to be a great teacher. They just have to know their subject matter better than any one else. Then be able to teach it in a manner that the student can utilize to their advanage.

13. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I watched the guy that Buffalosoldier is referring to, and he could barely walk much less pick up a gun and shoot it. He paced slowly up and down the range all day looking for likely candidates to donate to his empty wallet. When I say all day, I mean from 8:00 AM until we left at 4:00 PM. He never picked up a gun.

Usually your first impression of people is right, and this was a scam all the way. Everyone knows trap shooters are desparate to find ways to shoot better. But my recommendation is for people to do exactly what the Soldier did, and check them out.

I don't care what anybody says, experience speaks the loudest in my book. If you haven't made it to the 27 yard line yourself, then you shouldn't be instructing people how to get there. Scammers want your money!

Bucko43

14. joe kuhn

Whao. Sounds like a scam. Why don't you name him so the discussion can get specific?

15. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The BuffaloSoldier is the only person that has his card and knows his name. So I can't name him, but I'll never forget the odd feeling I had when he approached the Soldier after he shot bad.

What better way to make a buck, than to sit back and watch people shoot and approach the ones that didn't do so well?

BTW, it wasn't just the Soldier that shot bad. It was the lousy machines that are in need of maintenance that caused the Soldier and I and everyone else to shoot bad that day. Birds were dropping right out of the house after 4 or 5 good birds. I won't be going to that range any more. I CAN name the range, and it was Triple B in L.A. It's Redlands for me!

Bucko43

16. joe kuhn

Too bbbad the guy doesn't double as a trap machine repair man. He could have helped everybody at once.

17. biff

biff Active Member

I agree with SBE. I'm not interested in how good someone is or hear about it from them. I want someone who can help me be good! Results from taking a clinic with a good instructor speak volumes. You get mixed reviews from people who have taken clinics from all the top shooters, if they didn't improve, they just wasted their money. Lately I've heard nothing but great things from the D & D Clinics; you have a great gunfitter( if a gun doesn't fit, you can't hit!) and one of the best shooting instructors who can actually help you improve your shooting style. If I were going to take a clinic I would definitely take theirs! Biff

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would think that a good instructor would also have to be an excellent shooter. If this is not the case then the best you could hope for would be regurgitated information that is readily available to you at the library. Certainly this isn't something that you should spend money on.

A good instructor will also have a long history of helping their students become better shots. A little research will tell you what you want to know about that because a good instuctor has several hundred satisfied students that feel they got a very good value for the fees they paid.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am a trapshooting instructor. I am in great need of students. My rates are variable as are my results.

Pat Ireland

20. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I would say that most folks got involved because of youth like myself and learn that 99% of all problems can be cured by correcting the fundamentals...

...and most trap shooters share knowledge without a price tag!

Just my 2 cents worth,
    TNCoach
    NRA/ATA Coach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.