1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Instructions for tearing open a BT 99 Receiver?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

I have my receiver out as I am sending my stock out for some work. I would like to tear it down to clean and lubricate everything while I have it out this far. I am a little concerned about just popping out pins, springs, etc. I know from working on motorcycles that most of these things need to be done in a certain order, especially when trying to put them back together. Anybody know where I can find some instructions on how to do this? Maybe instructions for replacing the firing pin would work?

Thanks,

Mike

t7731_2012_090639.jpg

t7731_2012_090640.jpg

t7731_2012_090641.jpg

t7731_2012_090642.jpg

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

No need to take it any further apart. Spray it out well with Brake Cleaner, then spray off with compressed air. Spray it with a CLP (I use Remoil), then spray off again with compressed air. It is now clean and lubed. Mark

3. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Mike,

Don't take the assembly out with it in the fired position unless you have something to capture the parts.

You can do a passable job of cleaning without any further dissassembly.

Robert

4. t7731

t7731 Member

What about the cavity where the firing pin is? There are three holes that surround the firing pin that must get all kinds of gunk in them. In fact, I can stick a paper clip or a toothpick in there and pull out a little bit of goop. There must be a way to get in there to clean, isn't there?

5. t7731

t7731 Member

OK, I wont take it apart, even though I am really dying to do it for some sick reason. Should I really be spraying brake cleaner in there? Wouldn't some Breakfree CLP do the trick? I am also a little concerned about spraying compressed from my compressor in there because of condensation in the tank. Comments?

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You need a special spanner wrench to take the firing pin bushing out. You also need the Bt-99 Field Service Manual, click the link. Then you will need three hands to get the hammer spring, sleeve, and guide back in place. Assuming you didn't launch it across the room removing it.

What Mark said is good info. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Wayne

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The three holes are for a special tool to remove the bushing that holds the firing pin in. Think of the receiver like a motorcycle chain. Clean it good by spraying or soaking it, Then dry it out well and lube it lightly. Gun Scrubber is just expensive brake cleaner. Keep it away from wood and certain plastics. I use my compressor for this all the time, but I do have a moisture trap in line. Mark

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Mike, sometimes you have to fight that urge to take it apart. I think that this is one of those times. jmho Bill

9. t7731

t7731 Member

I know, I know. I just like knowing how everything works. That being said, I have found myself, more than once in the past, wishing I didn't take things apart. I will leave it alone until something breaks. That probably wont be for a long time since I just got the gun this summer and it only has about 4,000 rounds through it.

10. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

The bt is about the easest to take down. The hardest part is putting the locking lug lever spring back in. It's a bear.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use my air compressor all the time when cleaning my guns. All you have to do is soak it down with spray lube like Rem Oil or Barricade after using the compressor. The spray lube will displace any moisture that the compressor might have blown in. WD 40 is actually designed for this task although I would then follow with a good spray lube as WD 40 isn't the best choice for gun lube. Drain your compressor tank before doing this and that should remove most from your system.

12. Straight50

Straight50 Member

From the pictures you posted and the stated age of your Bt, I would use the good advice from several posters above and spray clean it, blow it out and relube it. BTW, if you are concerned about your compressor, buy yourself a couple cans of compressed air at the computor store and use it.
    On another, but similar note, I too like to tinker and have satisfied that urge by buying and rebuilding a few well used old BT99's over the past few years. Aside from a couple of specialty tools you can buy or make, all you need is simple hand tools and a couple of punchs. Its fun and sometimes you can make a buck or two, especially if you can reblue the metal and refinish the wood yourself.
    Have fun!

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Use canned air. Like you use to clean your electronics..

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Use the compressor!

If you have that much moisture in the air system, I'll bet any air operated tool or sprayer you have is corrupted!

Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how disassemble bt 99 reciever