1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Instructional DVD or books for newbees?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Looking for recommendatons on best instructional DVDs and books for first time shooters.

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

No if, ands or butts.........Phil Kiner's Trapshooting Clinic DVD.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Frank Little's DVD, and his book, "The Little Book Of Trapshooting" are about as complete as you will find for a new shooter, and may be used together. I, personally, think Phil's DVD is more geared towards a shooter that has a little experience under their belt. In any event, both are exceptional DVD's. Harlan Campbell's DVD is way over the head of almost all beginning trap shooters. Much more geared to the intermediate to advanced shooter. Daro Handy's is also geared for the more advanced shooter that has some experience. STAY AWAY FROM ANY BOOK WRITTEN BY JAMES RUSSELL!!!!!. Just my take on it.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Best book Iever read on Trapshooting by Remington pro D>lee Braun. It has a chart, has gun mounted camera on shotgun showing you the exact sight picture needed to break each target. My scores went up 10 per 100 target event. It is on ebay right now under trapshooting. see below.

Item image
    TRAPSHOOTING BRAUN & REMINGTON PROS SCARCE GUN SC

Get fast shipping and excellent service when you buy from eBay Top-rated sellers Buy It Now
    $34.00
    Free shipping Listed:Jul-29 13:54

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Just found another listing for the same book, for $12.21 on Ebay.
    Steve

6. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Thanks to all of you. Will follow your advice.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike..... Russell's books have been critiqued many times on this site. A search will bring up all you need to know about how LITTLE RUSSELL KNOWS about trapshooting. His books have done more to set a shooter back to than help him move forward..... By your very statement above, I can just about bet you are probably a fairly new shooter and your handicap yardage is likely not more than 22. I may be wrong, and if so, I apologize, but, as you progress through the ranks and move back in yardage, you will rapidly understand just how much of his rhetoric is pure junk and of no help at all. In fact, there are several instances in his books that the advice he gives is just flat out wrong and will hurt your performance rather than enhance it. A book, or DVD, by a known shooter, with known ability, is far more valuable than a book written by a guy that never got out of D class in singles and never made it any farther back than the 21 or 22 yard line..... IMHO James Russell's books are pure, unadulterated trash!.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike.... Where did you get the idea Daro Handy and Phil Kiner endorse his books???? I have never seen such an endorsement, if it even exists. There are no sour grapes here, just truth. I, personally, knew Jim Russell when he lived in Crescent City, CA. when he first started shooting. He couldn't shoot then, and can't shoot now. He couldn't teach then and probably can't now. He doesn't have one original thought in any of his writings. It is all second hand knowledge that he gleaned from various other shooters, Daro Handy included. Most of it, unfortunately, is presented wrong. FYI, Daro is a personal friend, and I know what he thinks of those books..... I encourage you to continue to follow Russell's guidelines if you wish to stay on the yardage you are currently shooting from. If, however, you really want to improve and become competitive, you will NEVER get what you need from his drivel. Trust me, Mike, I'm just one of MANY shooters on this forum that feel the same way...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

Mike.... Where did you get the idea Daro Handy and Phil Kiner endorse his books????

Where I got it from was the cover of Trap Shooter Secrets, Look I'm not selling this guy's books, Those guys are prominent on the back cover endorsing His books, as a matter of fact if you read what they had to say you would say they were kissing His @ss.

What the heck do I know, I just want to shoot and have fun. Ask your friend why He did what He did

10. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Actually I did endorse the book and in doing so learned a huge lesson.
    I was sent some prelim material that looked good and he asked me to write a statement which I did.
    Since seeing the whole book I wish I could take it back, live and learn. pk

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike..... Do you need more? If you REALLY want to learn the sport, from a shooter that has done it all, you can do no better than buy Phil's DVD, or take his clinic. There are several good books and DVDs out there for you to choose from, and, for the most part, the shooters here have nothing but good things to say about them all. The only instructional books I have ever seen trashed on this site are James Russell's books..... And they have been trashed THOROUGHLY! The reason is that most of us on this site want nothing more than to help shooters. We don't like seeing you waste your time on something that can't possibly help you when there are so many good tools out there that will help you. We can't tell you which DVD, book, or clinic is the best for your style of shooting, but, we CAN tell you what is bad, and Russell's books are bad... Just trying to help you out, Mike. Not sour grapes, not a personality conflict, not a personal vendetta, just truth... Shoot well..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

ps: Thanks, Phil, for your response... It should help validate my comments to Mike. I'm sure that, if you knew then what you know now, your name would not even be associated with these books..... Dan

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have to agree with Senior Smoke. The Remington DVD contains everything from stance to follow-through, and holds.

Couple that with the Gun Hold Position photos on my above sight and you in for a quicker learning curve. And, of course, you MUST have a gun that absolutely fits you.

Although I have been a 27 yarder for all but one year of my 35 shooting career, I attribute my success to seeing this film (then on 16mm) and learning from it.

MOTORDOC sells the video here on this site.

I'd also recommend a clinic. I, personally, like Britt Robinson's clinics.

IMHO.

Whiz

13. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

Thanks for that bit of information, for me it's to late I own the books. I will be getting H Cambells video as a gift from my wife, so that will be a help in un doing any damage if there was any done.
    Again thanks,
    Mike

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I also like Trapshooting with D.Lee Braun and the Remington Pros. You can send a $25.00 donation to the ATA Hall of Fame and receive one. The book comes up on E-Bay all the time. D.Lee's skeet shooting book is a good one too.

Wayne

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Frank Hoppe has a nice video. Covers a lot of the same stuff he teaches in his clinics.

16. laura!

laura! Member

In order to be a good teacher you not only have to be good at explaining things, you also have to be an expert in your subject and to have studied it from every angle. The thing I appreciate about Harlan's video is the title "Trap Shooting My Way." I can't shoot his way (darn it!). There is a lot you can learn from his video, but it is "his way." If you want to learn from someone who can look at your way of shooting, tell you what is working, what isn't and how improve from there, take a Phil Kiner clinic and buy his video. It is very obvious that Phil has studied trap shooting from all angles and can work with a one-eyed shooter just as well as a two-eyed shooter. Next to a gun that really fits you (he can help you with that too) it is the best $$ you can spend for trap shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

daro handy books