1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Instruction w/ D. Shaeffer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I was going to use the title "Best $300 I ever spent!!" for this thread but apparently someone beat me to it!

I had the opportunity to head out to Cicero, NY to spend a few hours of private instruction with Dave Shaeffer and was extremely satisfied with the results. I've been shooting for around six months now and have hit a ceiling of about a 93.5% singles average. I've known that I had two or three flaws with my game and that these flaws were causing me to miss 1-2 birds per 25. Within the first round Dave was able to recognize my problems and work with me to fix them. Between drills and explanations of what was causing me to miss and how to fix it I feel like I should be able to add another 2-4% to my average after Dave's help and getting some practice in over the next few weeks.

I've only shot about 100-150 doubles targets up until today and within five minutes or so Dave was able to get me on target and breaking pair consistently. I wish I had more time (and money!) so that I could of spent a solid two hours just working on my doubles game. I'll save this for next time he's in the area though.

If you have the opportunity to attend a clinic or get private instruction from Dave (which I highly recommend) I would definitely go for it. I haven't taken any classes/clinics/instruction from anyone else so I have nothing to compare Dave's methods to but I couldn't be happier. Dave provides a very laid back environment to learn in and has to be one of the friendliest guys I've ever met. Obviously this is just my experience and recommendation but like I mentioned, if you have the opportunity to train with Dave Shaeffer don't hesitate.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Best money you will ever spend...Dave is a great longtime friend of mine and has a very analytical approach to shooting...the main thing he teaches is how to recognize and fix your own faults...money spent on his coaching will last your entire career...Calvin Schappell

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Dave and Steph came to our club several weeks ago. They worked hard getting us through drills and gunfit/pattern board etc..

I have taken clinics from Kiner - Leo - Marshall - Campbell and now Shaeffer. All have contributed to my shooting skills over the years.

Last year wasn't a great year for me and to tell the truth the last two years have been awful. It really isn't any fun shooting when you are stinking up the place.

I came to realize that I was shooting a gun that was setup WAY TOO HIGH for my one eyed shooting. I adjusted my comb back to the days when I got back to back punches at the SC State shoot in 2007.

I said all that to say this. I attended the SC State shoot this last week and shot ok (95+/-)singles - really stunk up the doubles and wound up 1 off my yardage and 4 off the top caps score Sunday. Last year I think I broke a 78:(

All the teachers I mentioned above are great teachers and I really think that Dave and Steph really helped me get back in the "groove". Only time and targets will tell..

FRedmon

Your target total tally may vary:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.