1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Instruction For The New Shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

[Set the machine for straight-aways on 3. Stand on 4. Have students stand in front of you and to the right. Voice releases set up, but turned off.]

"Today we're going to show you what to do with your eyes to break targets."

[Instructor holds arms up, straight out so right arm is over left arm, right hand over house, left hand towards right edge of house. (Arms will be slightly crossed at the wrists.) Wiggle fingers on right hand.]

"I put my eyes over the house. The other hand is my gun."

"When I call pull, I follow the target with my eyes."

[Move right hand as if to follow slow motion target, keeping eyes beyond right hand at all times.]

"I keep my eyes on the target at all times."

[Swing left hand (gun) to the target.]

"I move to the target and shoot it when my brain sees the gun come across my focus point."

[As left hand arrives at target.]

"Pow, dead target."

"Watch again as I do the whole thing."

[Repeat entire process.]

"My eyes stay on the target the whole time. This is different from other shooting. In shotgunning you must keep your eyes on the target and let the gun come across to your focus point. You pull the trigger when it gets there."

"The reason we do it this way is because we go where our eyes look. If we look at the gun, we'll stop moving the gun and miss the target. We don't want to hit the gun; we want to hit the target. Your hands go where your eyes are looking, so you must keep looking at the target. If you want to break it, you must look at it."

"Watch again."

[Turn on voice releases.]

"Pull."

[Repeat entire process with released target.]

"...Pow. Dead target."

[Swith to 870 with wood dowel barrel and fly speck bead.]

"Watch again. Pull"

[Repeat process so all students can see eyes on target, gun coming across to target.]

"Pow. Dead target. Again, pull."

[Repeat.]

"Your turn with the fake gun and moving targets."

[Students take turns standing at 4, practicing eyes on target, moving gun and shooting target. Be sure stock is high enough in shoulder pocket. Instructor stands in front and to the right so you can see student's eyes.]

[Reinforce correct eye movement with 'Dead target.']

[Correct poor eye movement with 'Lost target. Eyes on target, gun will be guided to where your eyes are looking.' Repeat until student does it correctly.]

[Watch and correct, until student does it right.]

"This is similar to pounding nails with a hammer. Do you look at the hammer? No. You must look at the nail if you're going to hit it. Instead of a tiny nail we have a moving target. This is very much the same. You must look at the moving target if you're going to hit it."

"When we drive, do we look at the steering wheel? No. Do we look around the corner in order to turn? Yes. We look where we want to go. This is the same."

"Now we're going to switch to real guns and shoot some targets"

[After each student has broken targets at station 4, move to station 1 with hard lefts, then 3 with straight aways and 5 with hard rights. This shows the range over which the student will be expected to hard focus on targets. This May be appropriate across several sessions.]

[Pass out first target pins along with more detailed materials for further study...]

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I like it Joe, I really do. It may not work for every new shooter, but for most, it sound like a good program.

When do they get to hang raccoons on their guns?

Neil

3. joe kuhn

They get the racoons when they get 10 straight.

What type of new shooter might it not work with? That's when we learn what to tweak. The goal is to have one program for all new shooters.

Thanks!

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Joe,
    The one thing to add is to check for the master eye first. But I am sure you do that.
    Don Verna

5. joe kuhn

Don and Neil. Sheesh, I forgot all about eye dominance problems. Not sure how I'd handle it. Just read the other thread about this and like what 'Cush' had to say about emphasizing looking at the target with both eyes and it will work...

I also modified my script so the instructor talks about going where the eyes look. This is really the underlying priciple behind what we do. Someone personal messaged me about this and I think he's right. We shoot where we look, drive where we look, hammer where we look, etc. This brings up a whole series of things to say to myself while waiting my next turn. Not going to talk about the mental game on the first day. Should have something in the take home packet on that.

Also note, this is brand new instruction. Will have to test it out.

Thanks!

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe...

I tried to visualize this, but want to make sure I'm seeing this correctly...

OK... right hand slightly higher and slightly crossed over left hand to simulate house hold (left hand?!) and target acquisition with eyes (right hand?!)...

As the target is thrown, in my simulation, my right hand uncrosses the left and at some point the left must accelerate, and intercept the right once again...

Do I have that correct?!

Jay

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Good stuff, Joe. I like the emphasis on the hands always following the eyes. I like to give lots of real-life examples like yours, so a person can grab onto the one that works for her/him. Archery, throwing darts, hip-shooting, hitting a baseball, hitting a pop can on a lake with a rock, anything that demonstrates the hands following the eyes that are on the target. I like to emphasize archery & darts, as total concentration on a small spot pays off. Phil E

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

This is great as long as the gun fits it will work. Eye dominance and or gunfit issues will spell disaster for this process. The big problem I see is one size does not fit all. 15 minutes of one on one is usually much better than an hour in a group.

9. joe kuhn

Jay - Yes, you've got what I have in mind. One hand represents the target, the other, the gun. One goes out while the shooter watches it and the other catches up to it and breaks it.

Phil E - hip shooting. Now that's an idea. Also - try spraying kids with a garden hose as they run by.

gun fitter - Maybe we'll do one shooter at a time. Good idea. Please note that nothing like this is happening at our Park District intro class. Something like this will be an improvement, and yes, gun fit and eye dominance need to factor in somehow.

10. TW2

TW2 TS Member

i am left handed and right eye dominant

shooting left handed with both eyes open was a disaster
    shooting left handed with a dot on my right lens didn't work either
    last week i started nailing them shooting left handed and my right eye shut

last night i shot right handed (for the first time in my life) with a dot on my left lens- both eyes open

i equaled my best left handed one eyed score of the evening

so i think i wiill make a concerted effort to shoot right handed

11. joe kuhn

Whatever it takes to break targets!

Remember this is a first time class. The goal here is to get the new shooter to break a couple of targets. We'd like some direct instruction on WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR EYES. We need to show this because it's not obvious and it needs to be absolutely clear. Other issues are down the road.

Without the correct basic skills, gun fitting costs are not justified.

Eye dominance issues will be dealt with on a one on one basis. I'm considering doing a test in the club house before going to the field. At least so the instructor knows what he's dealing with. Don't know the answer for the new shooter...

Maybe it's not clear in the presentation details above, but we will go from group presentation to one on one skill practice. Class limited to 5 per instructor/field. These are new people so hearing and watching 4 other shooters is not out of line. They break a couple of targets, they go home. If they come back, we start talking about the hold points, shoulder pocket, stance, eye dominance, gun fit, etc. A strong basic skill presentation needs to be the context for all later instruction/guidance. A take home packet with these other topics would be appropriate.

Now to find shells that are not too hot...

12. joe kuhn

I've been explaining the basic skill to guys at work and let me tell you - this is what works.

"You go where your eyes go."

[Provide a couple of positive examples with the hands as noted above. Eyes stay on target, gun catches up and breaks it. Tell then the brain is plenty smart enough to see the gun come across the focus point. Then a negative example.]

"If you come back to look at the gun, you'll slow down because that's where you're looking. The target will move on, you'll miss."

[Demonstrate bead checking and it's effect with hands.]

This presentation is clear and it makes sense. People see it and don't say a word. They get it. I've followed my little speal with an invite to come out to the club. We'll see who shows.

13. joe kuhn

Changed the end of my original presentation to show the range over which the shooter will be expected to keep eyes on the target. We go from station 4 with easy right handers to 1 with hard lefts, to 3 with 'straight aways', to 5 with hard rights, then near straight aways from 5. Then turn the machine back on for random target paths on 3. I believe this is vital, but probably appropriate for session 2 and 3. We can't let them get used to any one station or target path.

14. joe kuhn

Explained this to my wife who summed it up beautifully with, "Your gun follows your eyes."

If I teach from this rule, the instruction will be clearer. Leading with the rule is easy to follow with, "look at the target, gun goes to target, look at the gun, look at the gun and loose track of the target." Bird tracking exercise demonstrates rule dynamically.

Hand outs will be titled with this rule.

...Maybe it should be "Your eyes lead your gun."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.