1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing Dead Mule Reducer (Large Stock Hole)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Wayne of PA, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I would like to install a new Dead Mule recoil reducer in the stock of my new Beretta 687. The stock bolt hole is extremely large.

On all my other guns installing the reducer was quite easy with a little electrical tape and a piece of Dowel rod. Any suggestions on securing it?

Dale

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Take a large dowel rod that will fit the stock hole pretty well. Drill the appropriate size hole in the dowel, and after securing the dowel in the stock, secure the reducer in the dowel.

If the hole is oblong, and I think it might be, you can epoxy the dowel rod in the side away from the stock bolt.

Removing the reducer will basically return the stock to within a couple of ounces of the original weight, if desired.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I used sched 40 pvc pipe to install mine. I used two pieces side by side without drilling any of the stock out and made for a tight fit. I think mine was a c and H kick reducer though and don't know the difference in diameter. Jackie B.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I put a three-inch C&H mercury reducer in my son's 687 stock just to add some weight. I put the reducer in the bottom of the large stock hole and slid in forward as far as it would go, placed a piece of wooden dowel behind it and ran a wood screw through the dowel at an angle into the stock. That was four years ago and it hasn't moved yet!

Ed

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As you can see, there is more than one way to skin a cat! LOL

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I thought we were talking about mules. HMB

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Shooting Coach, please delete your post. Kitty found it very offensive and I think that it's politically incorrect.

Tron

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Now Tron, I figure the comment refers to skinners operating caterpillars..<;-)....Bob Dodd

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

This is one of the myriads of uses for duct tape. Wrap that sucker until it's a snug fit and retain it with a wood plug or whatever.

So easy.

10. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I appreciate all the replies. I guess I should have mentioned the hole is not your standard stock hole.

Very large and oblong like shooting coach mentioned above. The other trap guns I have were so easy and are all fitted like Jerry mentioned above.

I spoke with Mark from Joel Etchen's gun shop today on this subject while traveling back home from a long work week.

Since the Dead Mule has a hole through the middle he said I may be able to fit it in the lower section of the oblong hole by securing it with a very long lag screw or better yet a very long sheet metal screw. Of course I will need a very long drill bit to drill the hole to draw it in. If it works I'll let you know.

Ed, Shooting Coach, and Shooting Jack all good concepts and I'll keep them in mind. Again I appreciate the replies.

Dale,

11. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Hoosier,

Actually its not a bad ideal. With a piece of dowl supporting the back of the reducer I don't see any reason why cotton wouldn't work.

Right now I rig a large piece of dowl on the bottom and pushed the reducer in on the top with the piece of cut washer hose that always comes with the dead mules and cut another piece of dowl supporting the back.

I'm not sure the above job will do well however everyone here gave me great ideals to work with. Thanks agian to all.

Dale,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

instilation of dead mule recoil reducer