1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing Chokes in a Perazzi Barrel Question....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Need a little help to find out if I can install chokes in my Perazzi 18.7 barrel.

I have a fixed choke M/F barrel and a full set of Perazzi 18.7 Extended chokes. So I wanted to find out if it's possible to get them installed by cutting the threads in the barrel?

Emailed Giacomo and they don't do this kind of barrel work. Recommended Briley.

Called Briley and they said that I can only get their thin-wall chokes, not Perazzi originals. But said to ask Perazzi USA.

Called Perazzi USA and still waiting for someone to get back to me.

So I was wondering if any of the locals know if this is possible and who can do it?

Thank you!

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Good question, never had it done this way. Couple things need to address.

1) Perazzi factory choke tubes especially 4th generation are pretty thick, require certain barrel wall thickness to accommodate them. Luckily you have a factory big bore barrel gun with M/F, no metal has been taken out by after market work, the barrel thickness is usually enough to play with most chokes on the market, I have Wright's chokes in one of my P barrels, they are pretty thick.

2) Briley can cut Perazzi factory choke threads for sure, it's only a matter if they think the barrel wall thickness is enough, or if they are really pushing their expensive chokes. Ask for someone really knows the measurements then measure it yourself. I use thin wall chokes because I like the same weight balance of the barrel.

Good luck.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Barrels that are setup with non-thinwall chokes are swaged to accommodate the choke tubes.

4. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

Why not call Tom Wilkinson and have him do it all including his chokes for $550 a barrel and sell the Perazzi chokes. I inquired a few weeks ago for a MX2005.

Vic S

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Steve, I don't know what to make of the Briley response. They did not want to install the factory chokes and said that there is not enough thickness there. But on the same breath, tried to push their own chokes. And told me to call Perazzi. Given the answer, I tend to think that it's probably possible, just Briley doesn't want to do it, rather want to sell their own tubes.

Skeetman, I don't understand, can you please elaborate.

Vic, because I didn't want to spend too much in mods and would only do it if it doesn't cost a fortune by using what I have. At $550 per barrel times 2 = $1100 for the O/U barrel and that's more than I want to invest in this project.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Vic, because I didn't want to spend too much in mods and would only do it if it doesn't cost a fortune by using what I have. At $550 per barrel times 2 = $1100 for the O/U barrel and that's more than I want to invest in this project.

7. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

The barrels of Perazzi's with factory chokes are swaged to accomodate the thickness of their tubes.

The fixed choke barrels are not(the POI is also set before they solder on the mid ribs so it affects the space between barrels as well, which can vary quite a bit). If Briley cuts the Perazzi threads in fixed choke barrels, there is no guarantee that the extended tubes will BOTH fit in without jamming against each other, requiring you to scrap your tubes and go with thick flush mount tubes you weren't prepared to buy.

It might be best to sell the tubes and have any of the reputable 'smiths put in thin walls.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Hummm doesn't sound good. Well I certainly don't want to make this into a huge project or ruin a perfectly good set of barrels. Perazzi should call me back tomorrow or Wed so I'll see what they have to say. Thanks guys!

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Confirmed. Spoke with Lucio and he confirmed that the fixed barrels can not take the standard Perazzi chokes. There is not enough metal there. The only option is thin-wall chokes from the aftermarket guys.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And that's not really a bad option. Myself, I'd have Wright or Trulock do it....

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The factory choke tube bbls on Perazzi are swaged larger like the K-80's. I have a Per .410 with factory chokes & the bulge in the bbl end is very noticeable. The Per .410 tubes are very thick.

12. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

BTW, Perazzi recommends Briley in the USA for aftermarket choke work. Briley also does OEM work for high dollar custom Italian guns like Bosis. The price is around $450-$580 total for both barrels of an O/U depending on the type of chokes you want (5 flush or extended).

I'm sure the other guys mentioned do good work as well.

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The top single barrel for my MX3 has Briley thinwall chokes and they work very well indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley chokes and barrel work

perazzi choke installation

perazzi factory chokes

perazzi waiting time

perrazi full choke measurement

thin wall chokes fixed barrel