1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing choke tubes in a fixed choke gun!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by atra_service, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

Who would you recommend for this??

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Wright's Gunsmithing, Pinckneyville,IL. 618-357-8933 Best Job Great Price & NICE People. joe90t

3. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Carlson have done several for me. Reasonable, great work and quick turnaround. Very pleased with their work.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Buy a barrel for the gun with choke tubes. Changing choke tubs only helps until the first miss. Just saying. What gun, and barrels are you having this done on if you don't mind me asking? Jon

I guess what I am saying is you can not improve a fixed, full, factory choked barrel. IMO.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Depends on the gun. Anything over $2500, I wouldn't use anyone but Briley or Wrights.

6. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

Perazzi TM1. Someone molested the original and opened it up to 19thous. I like it tighter than that!!

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Send it Briley or Wrights and have them install their long tubes, they will provide the constriction you want. I have several Perazzi's with Briley's and have had one with Wrights. Both companies products were improvements over factory fixed chokes. Fixed chokes are way over rated given today's technology.

Surfer

8. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

Carlson's 3 day turn around would be nice, not to mention they're only 3 hours from me.

9. skeet_man

Carlsons is going to install tru-chokes. Tru-chokes are JUNK compared to Briley thinwalls. They are VERY short, have an extremely fine thread, and the tooling that's used to install them makes it very difficult to install them correctly and squarely maintaining your POI. They also aren't going to be able to shoot anywhere near as good a pattern as a Briley thinwall will be able to.

Wrights only charges $95 to thread the barrel, and you can get the chokes from Briley or Wrights.

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Briley would be the only one I would trust. They make sure the choke is center to the bore.Bill

11. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

Okay, wrights on their site said 315$ to do that. If your right they'll have my business for sure!! I'll call them tomorrow to make sure.

12. skeet_man

OOO, their price has gone up a little bit since the last time i checked. They were advertising threading by itself for $95/barrel, and chokes at $55/ea if I remember correctly, so that would have been $260 vs the $315 it is now.

Briley would be $46 less ($269) w/ 3 chokes if you didn't have to have extended chokes.

13. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Don't forget Kerry Allor or Tom Wilkinson.

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't rule out Ballistic Specialties/ Angle Port.

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would not risk damaging a nice gun with the lowest bidder. Tom Wilkinson would be the top of the list. TW will profile your entire barrel to make it shoot better as a system. The others reportedly add chokes and limit the work to the muzzle end.

EDIT- I should say, the non-barrelsmiths install chokes, the artisans like TW "tune" your entire barrel.

16. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Briley Manufacturing, Houston, TX

17. oz

oz Active Member

What kind of gun are we talking about? a $100 870 or a $100,000 holland & holland?

18. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

oz it's a perazzi TM1. I agree I don't want it just cuz it's cheap I want it done and done right. I also want them to be extended if that helps

19. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Be careful. Sometimes good people do bad things. Just remember: "RIGHT" is not spelled "WRIGHT". PM sent. Marc

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What Avaldes said! Factory barrels are set up to match the chokes. If you get chokes installed you have to do the rest of the barrel also. In this case where someone decided to open the original choke, I would also go to Tom. Otherwise if it is fixed full, it is not the chokes causing the miss.

Also, .019 compared to what? Did they also alter the inside of the barrel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

install choke tube to a fixed choke

truekolar

what kind of choke tibes are used iwhen installing screw in tubes on a fixed choke barrel

wilkinson vs briley