1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing choke tubes - good but cheap???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dynokick189, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

Looking to put some choke tubes in an SKB O/U. It is currently choked F/IM and I'd like to open it up.
    Bought it cheap and am not looking to put a fortune into the project. Looked at Briley and to do just one tube w/chokes was around $250. Might leave the top tube as is (F) and just do the bottom. Probably use for occassional trap, some sporting clays and upland birds.
    Anyone have experience (good or bad) w/other choke installers?? Does anyone know if fixed SKB barrels are unusually thin... which might preclude installing tubes?
    Any help appreciated.
    Mike

2. trapdoctor

trapdoctor TS Member

Mike,

If your asking if SKB barrels are to thin to install chokes, then don't even try it! A reamer and tap for installing chokes are about $250.00 / gauge.

I am sure you can locate a gunsmith near you that can install chokes. You will be better off in the long run.

Here is Dave Mason's web site. He will be able to help you.
    http://www.mansonreamers.com/

Jim Douglas

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

SKB might be more difficult for choke installation, as I believe they have chrome plated bores.

The bore needs to be reamed to size and tapped for the threads, and the plating can chip when cutting tools encounter it.

Disclaimer: This information may be dated, as my previous knowledge applies to the early 5-6-700 series of guns. There also may be a way to machine that i don't know.

HM

4. vvosen

vvosen TS Member

I just had a single barrel for my XT done by Wrights. It was less than 250, but I don't recall the exactly how much. If it can be done they can do it and at a fair price.

Give them a call...http://www.wrightsgunsmiths.com/

Vic Vosen

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I did not read any of the posts here. First off you have to look at resale. Briley is the best and people know it. They will buy a gun with Briley chokes first then a gun that has Joe Blows tubes. Second you get what you pay for. I have seen tubes that were bad and the fix was to cut the barrels to try again. In other words the tubes were put in off center and blew a section of the tube out the barrel. You got a good gun then pay for a good set of tubes.

6. Terry Patterson

Terry Patterson TS Member

With any kind of work that requires precision and expertise, there is good, there is cheap, but there is no good and cheap. Briley, Wrights and a few others did not get their reputations by accident.

7. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

Thanks for all your input!! I always get good responses to my questions from the folks on this website.
    I'll check into some of those mentioned.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would never use Wrights -- for that type of thing---

I would use Angle Port or Briley

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Carlsons and Mike Orlen both have great reviews. They will do the job right. Either one can probably tell you on the phone if they can do your gun. Both have fast turnaround.

www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237&sid=4dcf9931cd6a021d7874ffb02bcf39bf

www.carlsonschokes.com/

10. guncase

guncase TS Member

GN7777777,, would you mind elaborating on why you wouldn't use Wright's????

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Carlson's

12. smartass

smartass TS Member

I can install choke tubes good and really cheap. I also guarantee that they will shoot generally in the direction you want and will pattern between 0 and 100% at any yardage. With a guarantee like that, what more can you ask for ??????????

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate: I am not uninformed, just cursed with a good memory. A friend had a local smith install chokes in an older skb, not 585,685,etc. and there was some chipping, which resulted in a PITA plastic and carbon buildup. The same problem sometimes exhibited itself with forcing cone work. Had to be done carefully.

The New ones with factory installed chokes are undoubtedly fine. It's possible you were not around for the 5,6,7,800 series SKB's. My statement stands:

"Disclaimer: This information may be dated, as my previous knowledge applies to the early 5-6-700 series of guns. There also may be a way to machine that i don't know."

Get help with your reading problem.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.