1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing a "Quick Change" Recoil Pad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I need a new pad on my walnut-stocked Duck gun, and and since I have to do it anyhow, having the ability to change pad thickness' as more clothes are needed makes sense. If it makes any difference, this is on a Brit SxS POW stock, which is none-too-beefy at the butt.

- What size EZ-LOK (?) threaded inset do you use?

- Brass or SS?

- Do you use a Forstner bit, or is a twist bit sufficient?

- Do you bottom the insert (and cut the screws, exactly), or leave 1/8" or 3/16" space, below?

- For installing a solid 'Red Rubber' pad (especially) is there a screw-head preference in shape/profile? (I'm looking at three pads: two different thickness' of Galavan/'Silvers' and a Red Rubber solid.)

Thanks,

Bob

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Installing a

I wouldn't use less than a #10 screw. Stainless for me. Not a twist but I don't think you need a forstner. A sharp paddle bit will do fine. I would leave some space underneath so you don't have to be so critical with screw length. For a field pad where looks aren't terribly important I like a phillips head. Easy to index by feel and you can always find a phillips driver but what if you lose your allen driver or Torx in the field on Sunday and the pad gets loose? Even a Leatherman has a phillips driver on it.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Installing a

save your money, i use velcro on the end of my stock, and on the bottom side of my recoil pad. it's inexpensive, looks good, will not fall off while shooting, and comes in different colors.
    steve balistreri

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Installing a

I dont like brass, buy steel. The inserts are the way to go

5. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Installing a

Get a set of Whiz-Nuts from Whiz White - the will do the job quite well.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Installing a

Here's what PhDTrap was referring to:

[​IMG]

Nice thing about these are:<BR>
    1. You can quickly remove and reinstall your pad hundreds of times and never hurt the wood.<BR>
    2. The Allenhead mounting screws for the pad are hardened, need a 1/8" Allen wrench to get to the which I include in the kit.<BR>
    3. The actual metal insert that is designed to go into the wood is sandable, and is NOT hardened steel as others are.<BR>
    4. If you ever wear out the insert, they can easily be unscrewed and a new one installed without any re-drilling. In fact, I will replace at no charge any bad one you may ruin during installation. It's no big deal to me-keep the public happy.

I bought some once out of Shotgun Sports Magazine. I didn't like them because they were not made for TRUE wood applications, and tore up the wood when I wanted to remove the insert, plus they were so darn hard, I had a helluva time sanding the butt-end of the stock to provide a flush surface for my recoil pad.

I did some research with the help of the folks at H-S Precision, Inc. here (Tom, Tommy, and Trish), and we put these together. They also work great in fiberglass stocks like some of the benchrest shooter use. Tom Houghton, CEO of H-S Precision is an old benchrest shooter out of AZ and holds several records for the same. He has been extremely helpful to me and my Perazzi business over the years.

I built some synthetic trap stocks for my two Beretta Super Trap guns used solely for pheasant hunting using field synthetic stocks I picked up on eBay.

I need to shoot a high Monte Carlo stock, so I made two into M/C trap stocks. I then partially filled the cavity of the stock so that I could use these anchors. I then installed Kick-Eez red recoil pads on the stocks. They worked great, but I did epoxy the anchors in place and then sanded flat the end of the stock to take the new Kick-Eez. I may have a picture of that somewhere around here in the shop. It's a killer of a gun on pheasants. I also did the same thing to two of the cheap Stoeger 2000 autos. Made the M/C trap stock out of their field stock and added the Kick-Eez pads.

You can always tell my guns, field or Perazzis, as I have the bright red Kick-Eez on everything. Oh, I like the Stoegers because I also made some 8 and 10 shot extension tubes. When we block corn fields up here in SD, you ain't got much time to reload, and the walker give the blockers NO SYMPATHY for letting birds get through.

Click my URL above and these are listed at the bottom of my Perazzi Parts list.

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

installing a silvers pad

quick change recoil pad

quick change recoil pad system

quick change recoil pads