1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

installing a high rib on 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrod350, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrod350

jrod350 TS Member

i am thinking of getting simmons to install a high rib my 870 trap has any one on this sight seen a 870 trap with high rib installed.. i have several other trap guns but i think an 870 with a high rib would look good and perform good..years ago i owned a mossburg trap high rib that smashed birds but kept breaking down.. any way any info or input is appreciated..also im not interrested in plastic ribs i have seen those on this site..im not saying there no good but there just not for me i would rather pay for a metal rib to be installed does any body know any one who will do this..

2. moparhunter 99

moparhunter 99 TS Member

Hi I have never seen a simmons rib on an 870 but I do have a moneymaker rib on My 870 and 1187 The moneymaker rib is awesome.If i can get my wife to take some pictures i will send them to you If You are interested in a 1187 barrel with a moneymaker high rib on it let me know Thanks Randy

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

I have a M12 with a moneymaker on it...3/4" high, looks and shoots great. I have the 3/8" wide rib instead of 5/16". I like the slighty wider rib instead of the more narrow 5/16". You will probably need an adjustable comb stock also.

Wayne

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Have Moneymaker do it. They do a lot of them

5. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

I had two one inch high ribs installed by Simmons. Both worked great.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's one Simmons had put on a friends 870. Jim

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Gun%20stuff/?action=view&current=870.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

There are high ribs and then there are ridiculous ribs. You might find it interesting to read Dennis Devault's opinions on these ribs in his column "The World According to Me" in his <I>September Newsletter (3rd page)</i>

Lister

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I saw a man in Sparta with an ultra high 870 trapgun.. AND.. he shot it very well.. I say.. to each his own.. Simmons and Moneymaker have both done rib work for me.. What you ask for is not a problem for either..

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Well-Known Member

Before you pay to have them installed (high rib & adj. comb), I suggest you shoot a gun with the height rib you have in mind. Not everyone can shoot them well.

Some have difficulty creating sight pictures with the end of the rib and revert to using the muzzle to create them and shoot over targets. You want to make sure you aren't one of those before buying a new rib.

You would also be well advised to make sure the gun fits you before investing in a new rib and adj. comb because you will never get what you have invested if you decide to sell the gun.

Rollin

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

You can make your own rib out of balsa wood strips and black paint and strap it over the existing rib with black tape. Cost is low, but you will have to experiment to find the "right" height. In the long run, it can save you some money and/or regret as you will find out before you buy a new rib, if it is what you really want.

11. jrod350

jrod350 TS Member

thank youall for input randy please send me a pic.........jim101 was that pic took at winchester gun club

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

jrod350, No it was at the Sedalia rod and gun club at Sedalia Mo.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high rib 870

high rib on 870

high ribs 870