1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing a Gracoil - anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I know if I install a Gracoil on my Broadway I'll need to shorten the stock. After that, I may need to enlarge the stock's bolt hole to accomodate the Gracoil's central axis. Other than that, is there anything else I need to be aware of? Inletting, for example? Any other installation caveats? Thanks for any help.

LA

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Just one thing - once you've done it, you are likely to wish you'd just paid someone who knows how and has the proper jigs, experience, and all that. At least I did.

Neil

3. gkinla

gkinla Member

I agree with Neil. I have had Graco install two units on my guns. The fit and finish is spectactular. If you want to try it and have the means to cut and polish aluminum, cut and finish wood, then go for it. My recommendation is pay someone who knows how to do the work. Call GraCoil you'll find the cost is very reasonable.

Gary

One of the jobs Graco corp did for me.

[​IMG]

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

You will need the jigs from GraCoil to install the unit. I would just send in the stock. Tell GraCoil what you want done and it will be done right from the GetGo. I had three LOP installed on diffance guns and could not be any happyer with the out come.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My advice, being a recent stock tinkering fool. You best have a try stock that you can practice on. I tried installing a used unit. I did not cut the stock flat and square. the unit doesnt fit flush. looks awefull even on the junk practice stock. If you like to tinker, like to have tools that will most likly never pay for themselves. Have at it! I am currently working on a few stocks. I dont intend them to be pretty. When I am done I will most likly paint them. One other tip. I re cut the stock, then needed to deepen the stock bolt hole and shorten the stock bolt. this attempt caost me about 15hrs of labor searching for die to cut the threads, proper drill bits. Heck i did mot of the work with a hand drill and compound miter saw. Recoil pads are one thing. Fitting a recoil device and adjustable comb hardware, not so much. PS first adjustable comb I did. I reversed the comb part when trying to figure out the location of the post holes. Drilled and fitted the parts into the comb. Then intalled on the stock corectly. Yeah it looks backwards. again this was on a junker to practice on. Still I like to do things myself. but the nice wood gets the pros.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you do not have the jig that Graco sells for drilling the stock, you almost certainly will ruin your stock. I know someone already told you that, but I thought I would reinforce his words. A large hole in the bottom or side of your stock is not a good thing and likely will not become a fad. I watched a Gracoil LOP unit being installed on one of my guns and can tell you it is not a job for an amateur.

Ed

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Thanks to all for your replies. I will be sure to let Graco install the recoil reducer. I know they'll do a super job!

LA

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Give Tron a call. Check out his H&R thread for an example.

9. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I just did this one 3 hours <a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view┬Ąt=100_2589.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The aluminum used is hard to grind off. If you do it yourself, REMOVE the two nylon inserts FIRST, so they don't melt.

I would grind some, put in freezer to keep it cool, grind some more, etc, etc.

Personally, I'd send it to Graco to do.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
graco recoil reducer installation
graco recoil reducer installers

gracoil installation

gracoil recoil reducer installation
how to install a gracoil recoil reducer
how to install graco adjustable comb
how to install gracoil