1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Installed a Magpul trigger guard on my Rem R15

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nice. Plenty of room for winter gloves. And it gets rid of the gap between the guard and the grip. $19.99.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]
    Factory trigger guard.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    Magpul trigger guard.

2. Brian in Oregon

Now here's something I didn't know - the factory trigger guard on the R15 (made for them by Bushmaster) is... plastic! Once out of the gun, it felt different, so I examined it closer.

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Brian, I just picked up a rocky ridge "varmint". It has the magpul trigger guard. It has a white water 20" stainless heavy barrel. I just sighted it in yesterday with factory Remington 55 grain ammo. I was amazed at the groups. I'm basically a shotgunner, so it took me a while to get use to the 2 stage trigger, but my last group was 1" at 100 yards. The gun shoots better than I do. These new guns are accurate! Could easily be a 200+yards groundhog gun.

4. Brian in Oregon

Yep. AR15s, when properly built, are very accurate. Some of the 24" varmint versions are set up for 600 yard shots. The extra 4" of barrel is not very useful at closer ranges, but with heavy bullets and the increased velocity with slower powders they are getting good accuracy and increased hitting power at long ranges.<br>
    <br>
    My R15 has a single stage trigger. It has a bit more creep than I like, but it's still a very nice trigger. It feels similar to a Timney 1100 pull trigger.<br>
    <br>
    My R15 is set up for close to medium range coyoting hunting, particularly in dim light or strong moonlight, because it has an EOTech sight. I've been considering a Savage Predator Hunter in 22-250 for long range coyoting, though a 24" AR15 varmint upper with heavy bullets is an alternative. But it won't be as flat shooting as the 22-250. (My idea of an ideal platform would be the AR10 in 22-250 instead of 308.)<br>
    <br>
    It's a real pity that many Fudds condemn these guns, a la Jim Zumbo, when they are simply a modern rifle. They've bought into the "AK47" hype and are ignorant about how many AR15s are being used for hunting, target matches, service rifle matches, etc. If this attitude was around 100 years ago, bolt and pump actions would be condemned by them, and muzzleloaders would be the sporting gun they'd champion. Jim Zumbo has now tried these guns for hunting, and has changed his mind on them. (Pity he didn't try them BEFORE he opened his mouth.)<br>
    <br>
    And, they don't understand that one of the key points about the AR15 is that it's modular. Like a shotgun, you can change the upper receiver at will, just like changing the barrel on a shotgun for different jobs. Plus these guns are simple and easy to work on. There's another post on here I made a couple of days ago about my "Retro Dissipator", a copy of the original M16 carbine, modernized with a heavy barrel and modern technology to make it reliable. I built that upper in a couple of hours, using simple and relatively inexpensive AR15 hand tools (action holding jaws and a special wrench). Cost for both tools was in the $60 range. I'm getting ready to disassemble another AR15 with these same tools to install a free floating forend. This one has a heavy 20" match barrel and will be used as a varmint rifle.<br>
    <br>
    Oh, and for traditionalists, you CAN get wood buttstocks, grips and forends for them. I'd like to put a set on a varmint version, if I can find a free float forend that will take a wood surround.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I don't know squat about em, except I'm impressed! I didn't realize why everyone was on Jumbo's case. I thought precise shooting required a bolt action, and I'm sure many others did too. With the right combination, the "black rifles" are surprising. The guy I bought my gun from is the "guru" of AR's in our area,and he got me started off right, but still lots to learn.

6. Brian in Oregon

And there's the point. You have an open mind and are willing to learn. Many aren't. Welcome to a whole new world of hunting and shooting fun.

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I think this post should be on AR-15.com - not TS.com

8. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

sky buster has never seen trap shot with an AR15?

9. Brian in Oregon

sky buster, quote: "I think this post should be on AR-15.com - not TS.com"<br>
    <br>
    Wow, so now trapshooters can't talk about guns? I guess I'll have to post more political threads.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't really understand why the ARs are so popular but I do understand the importance of having the right to own them. Glad your having fun Brian (I still think my old school M700VSS will outshoot that R15!)

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

AR15's are one of those guns that you might not understand their appeal until you shoot one, especially an accurate one off a bench. They are so easy to accessorize yourself and so versatile especially so in the last few years. You can set one up to shoot just about anything from the 50bmg to 22lr on the same receiver.

Having said that I don't like the Magpul trigger guard, thought I would but after trying it for awhile I found my trigger finger getting between the bottom of the trigger and the guard too many times so I'm back to the stock one for now. Maybe if I lengthened the trigger....

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Posting any gun related stuff is ok for TS.com I find it a bit filtered hearing info on such guns as the AR. AR 15 are a great little gun. I have had a interest in buying one for some time. they are like 1911s and 1100s. plentiful parts, accessories, and just plain good shooters. As always the sky is the limit 800.00 for a good plinker to $$$$$$ for a full blown custom job. I also want to fill the void in the safe. got some wwi,wwii vintage rifles russian and german guns but not the little black gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.