1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inspection for truck

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by porky, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porky

porky TS Member

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger. My problem is that the inspection is coming due in June and I was wondering if an emergency brake light on the dash will prevent the truck from passing inspection. For some reason, the brake light switch will not turn off, so the emergency brake light shows up on the dash. ( The brake releases completely) I'm afraid that it will prevent the passing of the truck when inspected. I have tried to disconnect the wire that the emergency brake linkage rests against when released, but it will not shut off the dash light. Any sugesstions?

2. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

I am Not 100% sure but some time if that occurs the brake system has air in it and the proportioning valve has tripped the light you might have to fully bleed the system or you have a wheel cylinder , line, or some problem in the system that caused it to come on. Pat

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

it just may need fluid in the master cylinder. the other thing is have someone inside the truck pull the release handle and you go under the truck and pull out on the cable from under the truck. pull from the cab opposite the pull of the cables fromt he rear of the truck. the cable may have stretched and not retracting all the way motordoc

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Like moto doc says. If its fluid it probably should have started flickering some time ago, not just steady light at once (usually when going around turns).

You might need to work the cables at the rear wheels, but likely when they hit the ebrake the light will come on and they release it will stay on.

I have had the arm stuck down (with out enough pressure to engage unless ebrake was in use but light was on) in one of the rear wheels because the wheel cylinder had a slight leak and was gumming things up.

Check the fluid first.

In all honesty if none of the above worked Id pop the dash off quick and pull out the light.

Nick

5. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I'd start looking for a leak, either a rusted brake line, brake hose or brake cyl. Something has caused the valve to trip and that shuts off fluid to either the front or rear, which ever has the leak. You usually still have brakes although greatly reduced stopping power under panic situation when you need them most.

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

And if you live in Pa the state inspection mechanic will look for the brake light ( dash ) to see if it stays on and it will be cause for rejection. He will also depress the brake pedal check for a full pedal of brake and it won't be there when that light is on.It 's a signal of other trouble.

There is still a SLIGHT chance you really do have a faulty light/switch for the emergency brake release but that doesn't happen often.

If you don't live in Pa, not sure what type of inspection you will get.

7. porky

porky TS Member

I have found a rear wheel cylinder leaking. Since a garage just changed all the brake lines, I'm going to see what they are going to do about it, if anything. I will probably have to do it myself.

8. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

If you do it yourself remember when you bleed the lines you need to trip the valve back to normal ... even though it was repaired, the light will stay on and you will most likely still only have two wheel brakes/up front,as fluid is shut off to the rear where the leak was.Thats what the valve is supposed to do so you still have some brakes left in event of a failure of a line or hose blowing....or a wheel cyl leaking slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.