1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Insightful kid from Naperville IL!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Luckyman, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I just read this article written by a high school student from Naperville North....It looks like the future of our youth isn't so grim after all!

Arming college students would reduce chances of a massacre

March 17, 2008
    Given the recent collaboration of events on college and even high school campuses across America, the need for protection seems to be higher than ever. We have seen the campuses of Virginia Tech and NIU both torn up by reckless shooters. Obviously, for those who were in the shooting and survived, the feeling of helplessness must not have been very nice.

As a senior in high school, I would like to feel safe next year at college, and I am sure my parents and many of the parents across Naperville feel the same way. However, there is a solution.

Although it seems counterintuitive, everyone should be allowed and encouraged to carry guns on college campuses - including the students. The basic principles of proliferation are simple: When everyone is at about the same threat to each other, the incentive to going on a shooting rampage is dramatically cut down.

But before we delve into the personal aspect of this proliferation theory, we can look at large scale global examples with nuclear proliferation in the place of national proliferation of firearms.

A mutual deterrent, such as neighboring countries or even global rivals having nuclear weapons, is an excellent way of discouraging conflict. India and Pakistan are great examples. These nations broke out into war three times over the span of 24 years since they split. However, after both nations acquired nuclear weapons, they used diplomacy as a means of discussing their differences instead of killing each other.

The India and Pakistan issue is even more important when considering that these nations were able to acquire nuclear weapons regardless of strict international protocol prohibiting nuclear proliferation.

This proves the idea that pushing to have all nuclear weapons abolished is reckless, as is pushing to outlaw all guns. Countries that do not allow weapons for citizens always seem to have guns in their country anyway. Japan, for example, outlaws citizen ownership of guns; however the mayor of Nagasaki was gunned down by a mobster just last year.

So instead of trying to provide for peace, the laws that outlaw weapons actually empower aggressors. As mentioned before, if there is a need for guns or nuclear weapons - and there always will be - it is guaranteed that there will be people who acquire them.

It is quite obvious that using guns is a very negative thing, but as counterintuitive as it sounds, more firearms will actually solve the problem. Who would be willing to take the risk of killing someone else when there is an equal risk the intended shooter will get killed? The idea of mutual deterrents has been proved effective over and over again.

So instead of encouraging a select few to antagonize the innocent rest, as current strict gun laws do, we have to allow a greater proliferation of guns. With everybody equally deadly, we will all be on the same footing, and the chances for another campus massacre diminish as the attack could result in massive retaliation of the student body.

Mohammad Sagha is a student at Naperville North High School. His column is published every other Monday.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Oh boy ... another foreign student wanting to get into the fray of another very heated topic and we have those who feel they want to pollute TS.com with the argumentative issues as well.

If the kid wants to carry a gun that is fine, let him do it if the law allows it but if the center of higher learning says no then let him take on the fight with the school and change it but to be honest let the foreign terrorist kid who wants to carry a gun to defend himself while killing an American go to another school or better yet get on a plane and go the heck home back to your own country. What are we going to actually lose if that would happen other than a convience store or a gas station ... it is what it is Mohammad and deal with it or leave!

Luckyman ... I hope this starts what you hoping to see happen. How many bags of popcorn do you have? I think this might be a double or triple bagger topic.

3. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

With people like you commenting on this.....No question...If you don't think this is an appropriate topic for this sight you need to re-valuate the web-sites you participate in!

4. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Why are you assuming he is a foreigner?????? Because of his name???? Isn't that a little presumptive? One of my best friends is a Perales, but that doesn't means she's a foreigner from Mexico. Her family has actually been in the US longer than mine.

I, for one, feel it is refreshing to see one of our young people present an idea that is more than likely politically incorrect and unpopular in his geographic area and do it intelligently and in non-threatening prose. The article was well-written, regardless of whether or not one agrees with the content of the article... which I most certainly do, by the way.

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

In my opinion this topic has nothing to do with trapshooting. It has to do with guns but not even long guns so really to me this topic of discussion has no place at all on TS.com and as such a controversial topic as CHILDREN carrying either concealed or open carry of handguns is a topic that does not need to be discussed.

If a kid can first of all legally own a pistol then the kid should be able to apply to legally carry that handgun either exposed or concealed but doing it all within the law. Now if that kid wants to go to college but is told he is not allowed to posses that gun upon the grounds of the institution then it is his choice as to attend that school or not ... well ... the kid needs a dose of reality.

Just how much do you of the kid anyway other than trying to stir up arguments with what you think is right.

6. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Hey Mr. Newbius....Let me guess....You are going to vote for Barack Hussein Obama....Get a life...If you don't think armed citizens will keep this country safe move to England or better yet France!

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

The article is a terroristic attempt to cause hatred and arguments among the masses ... that is all it is.

I would put money on it that the kid is of foreign decent and he is in the first generation of actual US citizenry of his family. To me he is a foreigner and needs to take his parents back home where our forces overseas can take care of his rabble rousing tendencies when they meet him on the streets in a protest march of some sort.

8. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I would argue that any issue that comments on or could impact our rights to own, possess, carry, and compete with firearms is a topic of interest to trapshooters. Please keep in mind, though, that while the name of the site is trapshooters.com, it is a forum for trapshooters. Doesn't mean every thread has to be about trapshooting. While it's true that some of us don't necessarily have a life outside of trapshooting, there are occasions where we may want to discuss something other than trapshooting.

9. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Mr Newbius...

Ouch!!! And I suppose your family has been in this country forever and ever since the beginning of time.

I think, perhaps, you are the one stirring things up and attempting to create arguments. Your rage and obvious bigotry is something for which you may want to consider getting professional help.

10. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Thank you Browning Gal! I knew someone would appreciate this...Like my grandfather always said you never know how ignorant someone is until they open their mouth...In the case of Mr. Newbius it's in the form of a keyboard!

11. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

So, now Newbius is the moderator. Maybe he can't read. If the college students had been armed, how many fewer would have died? Maybe Newbius is correct, maybe all college students should be stripped of all of their rights, free speech, assembly, etc. I was going to comment on intelligence, but that was covered in his rants above.

Mike

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

IMHO this is not a topic that is appropriate for this site and was posted by Luckyman with the hopes of it blowing up into a topic of controversy ... you were right Luckyman, it is a topic that would start an argument and I hope its an argument worth your effort.

13. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Absolutely!!!!!!When it comes to our gun rights you better believe it!!! You are the only ignoramus that doesn't agree with the content...Now who's starting the argument? My suggestion is that you start visiting more liberal discussion forums or just move to France...

14. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Luckyman ... never have I said anything against gun rights but I fully disagree with children carrying guns and that is what college kids are, children who are in my opinion not yet mature enough to be entrusted with all the decision making responsibilities of carrying a handgun.

Now I wonder what the world would say if it was determined that while a student who was legally carrying a firearm in his college classroom pulled his weapon and returned fire against a crazed intruder but while doing so accidentally shot 3 students him/herself with one of the students being fatally wounding.

Now multiply that by 2 or 3 or 4 students in the lassroom all carrying guns and you tell me if you honestly think a crazed individual will have second thoughts about going anywhere fearing they may die in the process, heck they might even take it into consideration that people may be carrying guns and they themselves may help in the killing and wounding of people during the craziness of the moment.

Children do not need to play with guns ...

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You guys just play into the troll's hands (Obviously, Mr Newbius© has some or he wouldn't be able to type).

16. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I'm sorry but if your old enough join the military and train with an M16 or a Beretta you are not a child....College kids are not children as they are old enough to join the military....They are old enough to have sex, drive, smoke and......Defend themselves....I have to ask....Did you have a lobotomy some time in your life Mr. Newbius? BTW...Thank you for making this thread all that I knew it could be!!!

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Oh my goodness ... did you just call me a troll?

I should take offense at that but I do know the truth and only a troll would have started this entire topic unless of course your calling me a troll in the context of trying to stir it up so everyone else will just ignore it and move along, yeah maybe in that context you could be close.

18. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

With topics like this it's easy to troll for liberal minded morons that shouldn't be on this sight that's for sure! The only one that came out of the woodwork was you Mr. Newbius....Knowing that it is really refreshing to know that there aren't more people like you frequenting this site!!!

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Are you actually saying that since an 18 or 19 year old college student is the same age as a military trained person is the reason why they should be allowed to carry a gun?

You are insane if that is a reason you wish to use Luckyman, what about that 18 or 19 year old who gets washed out of the military because they cannot handle the maturity level and level of adulthood that is demanded upon them since they will be entrusted to defend our nation with guns. What about the kid who is washed out because he/she cannot handle it? You honestly still think that person should be allowed to carry a gun without gaining the maturity to handle the responsibility of carrying a gun?

Yeah you may think they are old enough but the question is are they mature enough.

20. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I know one thing for sure....They are old enough to defend themselves...Are you now trying to say that someone could be too inmature to defend themselves? Are you f-n kidding me....So if you are 18 and someone pulls a gun on you, your not mature enough to defend yourself? With that line of thinking they won't make it to maturity right...Are you an idiot? The brain-dead celebration of unarmed helplessness will get you killed every time. You Mr. Newbius must be brain dead and I do not communicate with the brain dead anymore...Good day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.