1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Insect repellent

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ramen39, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I know it has been on here before about insect repellent damaging wood finish.
    What kind should I use so as not to damage my stock.
    Thanks in advance.
    Roy

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

I know this will sound dumb, But I do it... I use Off on half my face... this way it don't get my stock, and it seems to have enough potency to repel well.

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I likewise use 3M's "Ultrathon" (developed for the military) on just my forehead, ears and back of my neck. That works well for me!

Mike

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Up here in northern MN, the biting flies and skeeters get quite nasty. I like to use any formula that has at least 50% deet. I just spray my cap. It keeps them off fron my face and neck. If you can find 100% deet, that's even better. I bought a case from Wisconsin Pharm, before they sold out to J.Wax.

Generally in the evenings the skeeters come out. It usually has cooled enough for a light long sleeve shirt. Then I just spray the sleeves.

Oh, don't forget your white socks around the ankles...the black flies love that spot.

Doug

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

This may sound nuts but try it, Buy the scented Bounce sheets that you put in the dryer. Rub them (the sheets) on all exposed areas, then put the sheet in your shirt pocket or under your hat. You can rub it on your face without causing burning to the eyes. Reapply as necessary. Guys and Gals this really does work and it make you smell dryer fresh! Jake

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I saw several guns whose gloss finish was lifted by skeeter repellent containing DEET...and of course it's the best repeller so I'd use caution when shooting with it on my face or hands.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What about Hoppes #9?

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I use Cutter's wipes and only dab the areas that don't touch the gun. No bites - no problem with finish.

10. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

The ability to repel insects was found by accident. DEET is an industrial solvent (just like freon - secondary use as a coolant was another lucky accident).
    Here in da Yoop, we just carry a couple of extra shells loaded w/#9 shot and blast the skeeters and black flies (the women folk dress them out for lunch - use the smaller ones for compost). Up here, we tend to save DEET to use as a cologne or after shave to put on before we go "sparkin" on Saturday night.
    But seriously folks... DEET will dissolve a lot of synthetics - including plastic shooting glasses and watch crystals!!! DON'T GET IT ON YOUR LENSES!!!
    Mike

11. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

i don't really worry about my face getting bit up, i usualy just spray my arms and legs with the stuff. and occasionally the back of my neck, but never on my face

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

GunDr.-- Has the technique.. spray under the bill of your hat and all around your hat. It keeps the nats and bugs out of your eyes. Also, DEET will damage the car interiors if it is on your arms. Fred

13. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

Years ago, while being eaten alive by Canadian skeeters during an Ontario fishing trip, our indian guide didn't seem to be bothered by the bugs at all. When questioned about his apparent immunity, he said the secret was not to bath for at least six weeks until he built up a natural patina that repelled skeeters.

Trouble is, if you tried that here, you'd have difficult getting anybody to squad up with you.

Ranger

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Try White Vinegar, I have been told that it will keep the bugs away but I have not had a chance to try it for myself yet ... Once it drys on you only the bugs can smell it and they don't like the smell so they stay away ... This is what I have been told, as I said I have not tried it and cannot personally recommend it from experience ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I use Lemon eucalyptus oil. I find it at wal-mart in a cream. Works pretty well.

16. frank t

frank t TS Member

Last year the EPA approved Picaridan based repellants. They have been used in Australia for some time and seem to be as effective as deet. However they are not as harsh a Deet is on the skin. Picaridan is derived from the chrysanthmum flower.

Frank T

17. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I did a summer research project for the University of Kentucky in their research forest. After the first week, I never had to use skeeter spray. One of the old timey mountain men told me to make sure I ate a whole clove of garlic a week. I usually put the clove of garlic in something like black beans and rice and threw in some chicken. The oil from the garlic is secreted through your sweat glands, and keeps the mosquitos off of you. You might think Im crazy, but I assure you it works!

Forrest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shoot aerosal fly repellant