1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inseam = barrel length

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just an observation of sorts and what to me looks good on the trap line.

Seems to me you should match your barrel length to the inseam measurement of your legs.Or at least something within an inch or two.Just looks better.

One example at our club I've seem is a very slender tall fella ,inseam must be well over 34",seems to me I'm only 5"4".Shoots a gun I think with 30" barrel.But when he rests his gun between shots,he's actually a little hunched over,can't be comfortable,and I wonder if he ever shot 100 or so,how would his back feel.

Second example,I'll use myself on the other end.My inseam is 27 1/2 ".My 28" sporting clay gun feels good.I use a 32" BT at this time.But,I remember trying out a Zoli with 34" barrel,I had to watch it,I caught myself almost letting it hit the ground between stations.

What do you think?

Just felt like posting a thought,something different from politics and such.

Doug H.

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

You sure wouldn't want the gun going off while measuring!!
    Remember, Safety Third!

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Doug you make a very interesting observation that I too have pondered and deal with often.

You see my inseam is a full 36" and the longest barreled trap gun I use is a 32" 3200. Thankfully I compensate by resting the muzzle on the toe of my size 13 steel-toe'd boot. That gives me about an extra 1.5" and helps allot for standing up straight and stylin 'tween shots. Trouble is I only use her for 16s and Craps most times relying on Sweet Pea, my 30" 1/1000 for dubs. When in this configuration, I do feel quite awkward and no doubt look really dumb too standing there all bent over.

Barrel length-body shape relationships are very important not only for practicality, but for aesthetic considerations too.

Ever see the guy with the big belly and the end of his neck tie roughly 6" above his sagging belt line? How about the once fine, but now plump middle-aged woman squeezed into a pair of stretch pants desperately clinging to her long past desirableness?

Vanity in my case is mere fantasy--a self-lubricating and futile attempt to fool meself into feeling cool and desirable. Maybe I need to try a barrel on the scale of one of those special turkey shoot guns--maybe 50+ inches. I'd look like Moses holding his staff--now that's a striking image to contemplate!

Guy B.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Depends on which legs inseam your talking about...if its the middle one I'd have to be shooting a S&W snubby 38

5. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Calvin, looks like you need an "extended choke tube".

6. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Like a lot of theories it doesn't hold up in practice. Long and short waisted people don't fit.

My friend Willie is 5 ft nought, his inseam is 31".

When Willie sets a 34" single on his toe he has to raise his arm like he is about to take flight.

I am 6 ft 1 inch and also have a 31" inseam. A 34" barrel fits me pretty well.

Michael

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I have another silly reason to choose barrel length.

Anything longer than 32" don't fit in any of my safes without losing a shelf.

8. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

When I started shooting, I had a 30". I wasn't trying to match my 29" inseam, it's just what I had to shoot. Choke split out on my 30" and when I tried out a 34" unsingle, it drug in the dirt when I carried it over my arm. I was too easy to track that way and went for a 32" unsingle. It fits me and I got it a little cheaper.
    I'll just have to keep an eye out for a short-legged shooter when I get ready to sell.

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Dhip, please don't tell buddy Leo harrison about this, at 6-8 he regularly shot a 30 inch o/u until the DT-10 which was not available in 30 so he opted for a 32 , one of the most winning shooters in the worldof ATA shooting, , other spectrum, Ray Stafford, shorter, shoots 32/34. incinerate em!

10. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

Anyone know where I can get a 40" kolar unsingle ? I wear 40"x40" pants seems I'm as fat as I am tall HA HA!

11. rw993

rw993 Active Member

This formula indicates that someone like Kaye Ohye would be shooting a 22" barrel..... No offence Kaye, just the short truth......

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Works for me. 32" inseam and I love my Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting with 32" barrels (20, 28 and .410 gauge).

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

A wise old trap shooter once told me, DON'T OVER THINK IT

14. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I'm 6'4 and have a 32 inseam. I shoot a 34", mostly because that's the way Kolar makes 'em. There, we have three parameters that could be used to determine proper barrel length, all of 'em about as valid as using, say, your pecker X 5, to decide.

best.....mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.