1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Input On NIB 1980's Rem 1100 Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JohnR, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Input On NIB 1980

Stopped by the local gun shop today and they had just taken in on consignment a Remington 1100 Trap that is close to new in box. Metal and wood perfect, 30 inch full choke barrel,ribbed,2 beads,no wear on bolt or bolt face,inside barrel perfect, can't even see any marks around the choke.

I'm always on the lookout for reasonably priced trap guns and they wanted 650.00 for it which might be a little high but the condition is excellent, decided to buy it, it has the box and the owners manuel which is kind of funny as its only a few pages long with almost no warnings.

I think it dates from the 80's as the serial number prefix is a N, anyone know how to date these? Will these guns cycle light loads ok, I usually shoot 1oz at about 1175 fps from my break actions. What is a good shell catcher for this gun? Any other hints are appreciated.

Thanks,
    JohnR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You got a stepped rib fixed choke 1100, one of the best 1100's made. Who cares if you paid a little extra, you got an excellent gun.

3. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

$650 is not too high for that gun by any means,especially when you take the condition into consideration. It`s a better gun overall that the new 1100`s.
    Your loads should cycle it no problem at all.
    I`d say just get a T&S shell catcher for 10 beans,and you`re good to go!
    Regards, Pete

4. ryanhammer

ryanhammer TS Member

I agree with dixie. Get a break action, and I'll try to get rid of that old thing for you, how about 500 bucks? Nice gun, and a very nice price. Yes, it will shoot 1 oz loads very well, what's even better, it will shoot 7/8 oz loads just as well. I load 7/8 with 18gr promo, and waa12sl's in gun clubs. Great 16 yd. load. Cycles every time. I would suggest, if you ever shoot doubles, don't get the t&s catcher, but get the birchwood casey one. It flips down for doubles, and won't wear the blueing around the breech. Ryan

5. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

That's a beaut!

6. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

1100 is a dream to clean, takes all of about 30 seconds to fully disassemble. great buy, you got a great price on it. congrats

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/images/Rem_1100_Notes__Rev_with_Pix_of_Disassembly.pdf

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You did not pay too much. If you bought a new gun you would have paid much more and you would not have as nice a gun. I believe the older guns are better then the newer, They were finished nicer and the step rib full trap choke barrels were Remingtons best effort. 650 for a gun in that shape is a great deal. Jeff

8. wproct

wproct Member

You just bought yourself a great trapgun. I have one that I bought new in 1976 and it functions on about everything I have put in it. I agree with previous statements that it's about the best example of 1100's ever made. I also use the T&S shell catcher on mine.

9. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback, good to know that I got a good one. I've looked this gun over pretty close and I doubt it's had more than a box or 2 of shells thru it if that. Gun also seems to have a pretty decent trigger on it, hope to get it out to the club today and see how it does.

Thanks,John

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

With a new 1100 "Classic Trap" selling for around $950.00, and come with a Rem-Choke barrel, you did really good. They tend to shoot a little on the flat side for me. Once you figure out the POI, it will crush targets.

Wayne

11. Robb

Robb Member

I have one like it with a MC stock and would not take that for mine. You got a deal. IMO the older the 1100 the better the 1100.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That's a smokin' deal on that 1100. It has one of the most desirable 1100 trap barrels, and it's NIB. Also, earlier 1100s like this had nicer machining. Functionally all are just as reliable, but these actions are glass smooth, and you can feel the difference.

The stocks is a straight comb trap stock. In case you're not aware of it, the comb height on the monte carlo trap stock and the straight trap stock are exactly the same. The difference is the butt. The butt drops down on the monte carlo, and does not drop down on the straight comb stock. It is an optical illusion that the monte carlo comb is higher. The monte carlo stock works better for people with shorter necks, while the straight comb stock works better for people with longer necks. The two combs are at the same position on your face. The butts are designed to then fit your shoulder, depending on your cheek to shoulder distance.

It's not difficult to clean the 1100 gas system. Once you get it apart, cover the entire gas system internally with either spray or liquid Break-Free. I prefer the spray in very cold weather because it is thinner. Do not drown it. You only need a very light coat, rubbed in with your finger. The inside of the gas chamber ("barrel hanger"), the inside of the action sleeve (the hollow cylinder that slides over the magazine tube), the magazine tube under the action sleeve and the gas chamber, and the gas rings, all get a thin coating.

The purpose of this coating is not to lubricate. It is to keep the powder fouling soft, so it can be easily removed. Remington and others recommend it be shot dry, but that causes very hard, crusty deposits that are a pain to remove. Fine steel wool and oil, or better, bronze wool, can be used on hard deposits, especially when shot wet. This needs to be done every 400 to 600 shells, depending on how dirty the powder is. By shooting it wet, you can clean the gun up enough in about five minutes to keep shooting right at the range, and detail clean it later.

The action should ONLY have enough lube to keep it from rusting. There are no critical lube points. Preventing rust will allow enough lube to capillary into points that need lube.

BTW, that barrel might have a shell deflector stud in it. Take a look at the upper edge of the ejection port, about 2/3rds to 3/4 the way back, and see if there is a round silver stud sticking down. It's purpose is to try to knock shells down at your feet instead of flinging them. If it has the stud, you're good to go for doubles, and may not need a shell catcher for singles/handicap unless you are reloading your shells. Don't get the metal shell catcher. While they last longer than the plastic ones, they also scratch the blueing. I'd only use a metal shell catcher if I was installing it permanently.

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

JohnR...you got an OUTSTANDING deal! Finding this vintage gun in this condition is becoming more difficult all the time. Enjoy! Best Regards, Ed

14. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Well got it out to the club and this gun shoots,23,22,23,24,would have finished with a 25 but rushed the shot on the one I missed, very easy to shoot and no problem pelting other shooters, threw them down and forward, as i reload I will still get the deflector just to save the hulls. With the full choke barrel it is very easy to read my breaks and it smokes the targets.

Thank you all again for your input, much appreciated.

John

15. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

John:
    Congrats on the great find. The link above will take you to a website where you will find a 39 page document on the care and feeding of the 1100. Scroll down the page. You can download it if you wish.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

16. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

You did GOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.