1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Input on a Bruce Bowen Trap Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rocketdog, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Member

Would like your input on a Bruce Bowen Trap Gun. Likes and dislikes. Thanks,Dave

2. citadel

citadel Active Member

I have one. Beautifully built, inconvenient to use due to the barrel mounting system as it takes tools to remove the barrel from the action and expensive. Great if you like unusual guns. You would do as well with an Afflerman, Cole or Silver Seitz unless you are enclined to spend eight grand. I bought my Silver Seitz for under seven and love it. The Cole and/or the Aflermann are both less than that at around 5000. You could also consider a Mach One, for about 5000 as they are wonderfully built and normally come with super wood on them.
    Enjoy,
    Doug

3. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I wouldn't call putting a Bowen together inconvenient just a little different but the design is very simple and I can't image wearing either of mine out.

The first time or two you put it together it might take all of 2 or 3 minutes but after a little practice maybe a minute. The only tool you need is supplied with the gun and is simply a piece of plastic that holds a round rod used to keep two holes aligned.

Bowen's, unlike other single barrel trap guns doesn't have a hinge pin and since it doens't, it allows the receiver to have a much shallower profile.

There are a lot of nice single barrels available on the used market with some exceptional values. My personal preference is the Bowen.

If you're serious about a Bowen drop me a PM and I'll send you some photos showing how the gun is assembled.

If you can get dressed by yourself in the morning you can put a Bowen together.

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

How about service as he does not make them anymore ?? I wish someone would buy the rights and make them again to nice a gun to fade away. Buddy

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I have never used the tool to put it together. As DB says, after you've done it a few times, it is simple to do even w/o the tool.

I wasn't aware Bruce wasn't making them anymore. The last time I talked to him
    (last year) I believe he still had some on hand.

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

fine gun made by a fine man,, some day I will own one,,enjoyed meeting him at his shop in 2007,,

7. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I close friend has two of them. Although I kid him about them, and he returns the favor to me about my Krieghoff's, his Bowens are both very nice guns and well worth the current prices on the used market. They are very well built and most people shoot them very well. His are both "faster to the target" then my K-80's so if you are used to a very slow, front heavy gun, be prepared for an adjustment period. If on the other hand you shoot a fast gun now, enjoy!

Mark Zauhar

8. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

IF you take the time to look at the materials and processes that Bruce uses to make the guns and you want the most for your money, you'll buy a Bowen. I've got 2 of them and have no regrets. And, with what I spent, I could have boughten anything else I wanted, and I looked at 'em all.

Bruce still has a few guns in inventory and has the makings for a few more. He is still servicing his customers and has any needed parts on hand.

He posts on here, PM him and he'll get back to you and answer any questions you have.

Heck, I'm going to take mine now and win a Jackpot shoot with it, then another one tomorrow. PM me if you want too.

My friends know me as.....Jimmy Bowen

9. citadel

citadel Active Member

In my comments above I did not mean to reflect negatively on the quality of the gun or the value. The one I have is beautiful and I love it and will not part with it. Nevertheless the assembly system is a bit of a pain but not rocket science but it does require some added effort and god forbid you drop any parts in the tall grass. For sure you will be scrambling around on your knees looking for the bits because with out them you are out of business. That being said you never have to worry about the barrel / receiver connection as it is as solid as can be.
    There are a number of very high quality alternatives in this price range and it pays to pick the one that feels best to you when you shoot. It could be the Bowen so then you would have another good reason for owning one other than their beauty and excellent craftsmanship.
    Find one or two and try them out and see what you think.
    Doug

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I should be noted that the issue being batted around here about mounting the barrel on the frame has 2 important caveats:

1. This design is true to the original Tom Seitz gun. The Silver Seitz is not.

2. There is a reason for this design and that is that if the pin should eve get so worn that it needs to be replaced, you need to spend hundreds of dollars to rebuild the gun, you just buy a new pin.

P.S. I'm not knocking the Silver Seitz. They are a fine gun also.

11. three dram

three dram TS Member

I own two Bowens Number 13 , 35" brl an number 001, 34" brl

never used any tool to assembly Barrel on to receiver,

an a little practice

its simple, sometimes I can put it together less then a minute, no big deal.

Tom Seitz designed his shotgun that way for wear,

it is a great design, as was everything else about the original shotgun

I also own a Silver Seitz's an shot one for years,

To Jerry Philips credit he refined the original design and perfected almost

inter - changeable parts on many components of original gun

They are both fantastic shotguns of extreme quality of steel and workmanship,

that will be handed down to your grandchildren to shoot

I had the pleasure of holding Bruce Bowens o/u shotgun , when I was out at

his factory getting my Bowen made,

It is truly a shame that he was not able to bring his o/u to market

it was a stand out design weighing about 9 1/2 pounds

the balance and pointing feel of a Purdey

BL

12. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

They are great guns. I broke the first 100 from the 27 with mine. Best barrel I ever had and it was stock out of the box.

My K-80 was done by Allor he is the best.

Barry Kemper.

13. Justinosen

Justinosen Member

Kerry Allor from barrel work will service a Bowen

14. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Yes he will

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I shoot with "Jimmy Bowen" at the Minneapolis GC. And I can tell you that he mostly terrorizes us mere mortals with his nicely gilded gun. Tastefully gilded. He may not know how to take pictures and post them on the internet here at TS.com, but I will do that next time our paths cross.

16. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have one and love to shoot it. Dont be put off by comments about putting one together. You simply slide the monoblock into the receiver slot, line up the holes with the provided tool, slide the cross pin in and then slide in the retaining pin.

It takes as long to do it as it does to read about it. The guns are beautifully built, and the tolerances are very tight.

The last time i talked with Bruce he was making a few guns. He has parts also, but with the solid design i cant imagine anything breaking,

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

PM sent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bowen trap for sale

bruce bowen guns

bruce bowen original silver seitz design
bruce bowen shotguns for sale
bruce bowen trap gun
bruce bowen trap gun vs silver seitz