1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inking engraved receiver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

I have seen the process where ink is applied to a nickle engraved receiver and then allowed to dry and rubbed off, where it stays in the deep areas..It makes a beautiful contrast, and I know many higher end guns are sold like that...
    Has anyone tried this?
    Do you know what kind of ink and where to get it?

Thanks

2. buster45

buster45 Active Member

Go to a hobby store and buy tester model paint in a pen like a magic marker.Rub it into engraving and wipe off excess.Really makes engraving stand out.I use black.

Buster

3. englishupland

englishupland Member

How do you wipe off the excess without spirits getting into the recessed areas and diluting them?

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jewlers rouge (sp?) is what the professionals use

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. ferlach

ferlach Member

Tod,
    that is crude way to get the finish you are looking for. The right way to do is to blue the receiver, remove bluing from high areas with rust remover or toilet bowl cleaner and treat the surface with hot oil. It will prevent from rust and give you best French Gray look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.