1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Injurious Calumny - Then and Now

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Drew Hause, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

And we think it's bad now! :)

Jan. 21, 1893 "Sporting Life"

One of the published exchanges between E.D. Fulford, Thomas S. Dando, Capt "Jack" Brewer, and James H. Worden regarding Fulford’s withdrawl of his commitment to shoot a match at the Riverton Gun Club (Penn.) when informed the prize would be only $50.

Jan. 12, 1893 To E. D. Fulford
    — Dear Sir: Your telegrams received by me today. I consider this one of the rankest, stinkenest, dirty deals that one who poses as a man could possibly inflict upon another. I always thought there was some manhood about you while I was perfectly cognizant of the fact that there was very little sand, but I now rank your sand above your manhood in about the same proportion that a mosquito bears to an elephant, a pollywog to the Atlantic ocean, or in the common acceptation of the term, a monkey to a man. Any man who will stoop to make offer or use of an excuse such as you have made in this case - namely, that of a $50 note with chances of winning it and posing as the champion wingshot of the United States ought to be booted off of every shooting ground in the United States.

Any man who will deliberately ask of a friend to enter into and obligate himself to the fulfilling of an engagement for the paltry sum of $50, ought to be hung up by the heels and knocked in the head with a club.

A man who poses as a money maker and in the presence of several witnesses told Jim Elliott that you would go down to them and shoot and if you won would give him the purse, "certainly knew that the purse was to be contested for, not donated," as all you wanted out of it was your expenses, and then turn round and say -in your telegram to me today that "we don't propose to be laughed at and walk home," is a duffer pure and simple and of the rottenest class. I wrote Mr. Dando, enclosing my letter to him as follows:

“I leave for the Riverton Gun Club much space to extract from these telegrams. The sweetness evidently born of a full grown "posy" of the Hi-lo Jack-ass class self styled champion, and ask that they exonerate me for having had any dealings with such Farce-Acular Yaller."

I am sir, very devoutly, J. H. WORDEN.

2. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

$50 in 1913, as far back as I can research it, is equivalent to $1,093, today.

Actually, before the Federal Reserve, $50 in 1893 was worth the same as it was in 1912.

3. Robb

Robb Member

Nice of you to post these things for everyone. I enjoy it.

4. Drew Hause

"Chicago Field" March 18, 1876

To Correspondents - Correspondence is always acceptable, but it must be borne in mind that while we are ever ready to attack and expose corrupt practices wherever they may exist, the columns of this journal can be used neither to vent personal spite nor as a vehicle for billingsgate. We are driven to these remarks from having received several communications of an abusive and personal character. It is the duty of a journal, as of an individual, to avoid wounding unnecessarily the feelings of any person. When there are disagreements or cause for bad blood between individuals, one is often as much to blame as the other. At any rate these quarrels are interesting only to the parties concerned, while they disgust the other readers of a paper. It is our purpose to publish a high toned journal; consequently all such matter is out of place in our columns. We like a spirited controversy as much as any one, but at the same time it must be on a subject in which our readers are interested and are to be benefited; and the rules of etiquette in vogue among gentlemen must not be violated. Therefore the writers of those letters referred to will understand that we decline publishing such communications now and hereafter.

5. Drew Hause

George McAlpin assaults Capt. A.W. Money Dec. 28, 1900 related to a disagreement regarding handicapping

6. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

If only today's disputants were compelled to use wit and proper grammar, I'd have the acreage of these conversational grounds to myself.

7. dalog

dalog Member

Hmmmm....Like this??

Subject: My observation of the Grand Grounds

Date: Sun, Aug 15, 2010 - 09:55 AM ET

Look at little Chrissie, still running and crying.

I see you're still afraid of my .22, because you know I'm a better gunman with it than you'll ever with a 12 gauge.

BWAAAAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWAAAAAKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

...goes little Chrissie.

Did you change your name because you wanted to be the real Chrissy from Three's Company?

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yeah......that Smokin, he's a real wordsmith. Just impressing everyone with all that brilliant prose.

HM

9. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

What will queenie boy smoking357 ever do if he gets booted out of his trailer? Wont be able to google any more info for us and his mother already said he cant move back home. Another moron we will ahve to support.
    Chris

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chris- Certainly, there is nothing wrong with living in a trailer. They are rather cozy little things for some people.

Pat Ireland

11. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Pat, Your right I shouldnt put him down for living in a trailer. You do what you have to do. Im sure his is very cozy..lol
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.