1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Inherent Skill

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ColtM1911A1, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I've watched quite a few new trap shooters enter the game and become enamored by the sport. I'm, in fact, one such shooter. I've watched them and me progress, and it appears that most shooters have shown their potential by the time they reach their third year of shooting. What I mean is that by the third year if the new shooter is not shooting more 25's than other scores, he'll most likely become an average shooter, the type of shooter who fits nicely in the fat part of a Bell curve for averages...

Now there's absolutely nothing wrong with this type of shooter; we, they, are, in truth, the backbone of this sport. My question then becomes:

Have you seen a determined average shooter improve to a level where they might become best in their class, or move steadily up the line as time moves ahead?

Or, by the third year, have they pretty much determined their skills as a trap shooter?

In other words, can you tell who are the 'Naturals' in this sport by the third year?

Just a few thoughts for you experienced trapshooters to weigh in on. I really would like to know what your thoughts are on this subject...

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, one club that I shoot at allows alcohol on league night [and all other nights]. I have seen more than one shooter clean up his act and rise out of the average shooters to be in the top ten or five. My point being, if you start to take the sport seriously, you can improve rapidly after sometimes years of being a "fun night" shooter.I do agree with your original premise though. I think you can tell in the first or second year what kind of a shooter one will be.Bill in MI

3. missed some

missed some TS Member

I'm still waiting! Hope i haven't peaked yet. mark crist

4. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

MARK, I looked up your scores--I would love to peak out where you are...SMOKIT

5. missed some

missed some TS Member

thanks, but sometimes i feel washed up! BUT still waiting to peak.....mark

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

it is a learning experience, and a lot depends on the tools you are blessed with and how you manage them. I tend to break it down into 3 categories, vision(seeing well), gun movement, and mental. When I have all 3 going well, I will have a great day, 2 out of three and it will be a good day, I have a day with less than good target acquirement, poor gun movement and full of mental mistakes it is going to be a rough day. Learn to systematically eliminate your worst errors and you'll have more great days.

7. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

We've gotten some good and well thought out responses. Keep mulling over the concept, and come back with more of your insits..

Thank you in advance for your participation...

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

After shooting for 5 years my "friend" told me "You have reached the apex of your mediocre career".

Fortunately, most trap shooters do not have friends like that. Instead they have friends that want to sell them a "better gun". Otherwise the sport would die.

Don Verna

9. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Don:

Was your friend right?

Or did you make him eat those words?

10. Automan

Automan TS Member

Verna: very profound and funny.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Colt,

I have good chance at kicking his butt at singles and we are evenly matched in doubles but he beats me like a rented mule in HC.

I have days when I think I could not hit a barn if I was locked in it. Other days when I walk away with a trinket.

Don

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can spot a 'natural' good shooter on the first day out. What they end up doing with their given talent is up to them. I don't believe anyone reaches their full potential it it more a matter of how close they come before they realize there is more to life than breaking targets.

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I believe that anyone can shoot above the average you mention. However, it depends on your desire.

I watch guys all the time who've shot 20-22 averages for years. They wonder why they can't get better. The reason is that they keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Sometimes the converse is true, they make adjustments after every round.

It's the ones that go the extra mile that get better. The ones that shoot four or five times a week. The ones that practice with purpose. Those are the ones that will improve. Some have a natural talent that will always out shine the rest of us. I believe that every shooter, who works at it, can still do well.

14. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I know why I am not a great trap shooter. Just don't shoot enough. 400 registered targets and 400 not registered ones in the last 20 years. Compared to my friends 30,000 targets in last say 3 years. Ya he's great now even took lessons with several "Pros". He's now good enough to go for the money! I know that I am not. Some shooters are just better than others naturally. Better eye sight, better coordination, faster mental processors etc. All the practice in the world won't allow most people to beat Usain Bolt running, same goes for trap shooting against the best.

Harry