1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

INFORMATION___GREENER TRAP GUN

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by ccook, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccook

ccook TS Member

0   0   0

Gentlemen. I have found a unique trap gun that nobody seems to know anything about. It is a GREENER TRAP GUN, Birmingham, England mfr., pristine condition, which is made on a Martini lever action. All original from Greener.
    Receiver is heat treated hardened metal. Therefore the bluing on the receiver is slightly purpleish compared to the the blue on the remainder of the gun. It shoots beautifully. I used it dove hunting some 10 years ago, making a number of head shots only.

This gun is at least a 90-95% truly beautiful trap gun. The wood is not fancy but it is not all dinged up. It is a gun anyone would be proud to take to the range. It is not a manlicher stock like I saw on one thread that was beat all up.

To my limited knowlege, England has not manufactured sporting firearms in a number of years. I assume Greener has been out of business for some time.

It has to be reasonably old. My friend has had it for 27 years and purchased from an older gentleman who had it for even longer. And, if I am not mistaken the older gentleman had purchased it used from an even older man who had stopped shooting.

Does anyone have any knowlege or information on the Greener Trap Gun that you can share with me. I would be immensely grateful.

Chris Cook, Knoxville, TN ccook@stealthcomm.com 865-567-9808

2. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

Hey Chris-
    Maybe I can give you some info. I had a Greener Trap gun that I inherited. It was a 12 guage, vent-rib. My great uncle ordered it before WW1, but it was not completed till 1920-1921. The styling is called- Facile Princeps FHS. They came in 20 or 12 guage, 30 or 32" barrels, ejectors, and were made from approx. 1902 to 1957. There is a book by Graham Greener ( 5th. Generation Greener) who now owns the company. The book is by Safari Press, Copyright 2000,
    ISBN 1-57157-215-5. It is called the Greener Story, and is very detailed as to their guns over the years. Safari Press phone is 1-714-894-9080, or www.safaripress.com. I have a copy of the book signed by Graham Greener. They also made a single barrel trap based on the Anson and Deeley design.(Second series.) I sold my Greener, because it didn't fit me, and I didn't want to alter the original stock. Anymore info you need, email me at charliekela@amaonline.com. Best- Charlie Henderson

3. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

Hey, Chris,
    I think I told you wrong. Your gun, as was previously posted by Barfin, is a conversion. The Martini action Greeners were made as follows-
    1918-1965, 1872-1939, 1900-1939.
    Sorry for misleading you. But, I stand to be corrected if needed. Charlie Henderson

4. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

0   0   0

call P D Parker at San Antonio Gun Club. He has several Greeners and is knowledgeable.

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Greener Martini Trap Guns are not Facil Princeps actions, nor are they Martini conversions, nor has the production of sporting guns been discontinued in England, nor is Greener out of business. Facil Princeps actions are double barrel shotguns, Greener Martini Trap Guns were made that way from the factory, not converted, sporting guns are still made in England, and Greener is definitely still in business. Maybe someone can post with some correct information.

6. neofight

neofight TS Member

0   0   0

Alrighty then, here ya go............http://www.wwgreener.com/ Hmmmmm, how does one stick a working link?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

I recall Greener Police Guns being sold in Shotgun News years ago. They had special ammunition, the shell was 12 guage in the back, and necked down in the front to smaller size, maybe 16 or 14. The ammuniton was not sold on the market, rather supplied to the police through government chains.

The whole idea was that if the gun got into the wrong hands, the thief would find it useless because no commercially available ammo would work in it.

A Gentleman at a club some 50 miles south of me had one, he had a smith bore out the chamber so it would take standard ammunition. He was a sort of caretaker for the club, and shot it in their weekly league.

HM

8. halfmile

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

More info related to the above post, check out the link.

Might not be your gun, but interesting Greener stuff anyway.

HM

9. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

0   0   0

The late Lanny Roberts of El Paso had 2 Of which I bought both of them,after he passed away, His and his wife's They were built by Art Godfrey , I beleive Jim Broussard, Of Oregon,Has the one Lanny shot. Lanny Shot a lot of 200,s in sgls and I was on the Squad when he broke 100 Straight from the 27. I Sold P D Parker the Wife's Greener. Hell of a gun if you can shot it. Built like a tank.

10. eightbore

0   0   0

The Greener Police Gun is not the Greener Trap Gun. They are different guns.

11. halfmile

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

Very true. The Greener trap gun was made for the American market. Mick's Guns has this one for 850 pounds sterling.
    [​IMG]

They also made a repeater, the "Multi" with an unusual add on muzzle brake and screw chokes that went into the brake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gun my acquaintance shot was a converted police gun, which I have heard of being done several times.

The trap model is a looker for sure.

HM

12. halfmile

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

I also must add, they had a SxS 12 bore hammer gun that was engraved "the Trap Gun" 68 Haymarket London, made at a much earlier date. I have seen references but no pictures.

HM

13. eightbore

0   0   0

Graham Greener describes "The Trap Gun" double barrel in his book. I would like to see "The Repeater" explained. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
greener based trap gun
greener the trap gun

greener trap gun

greener trap gun dates production
greener trap shotgun
greenermarini trap guns
the trap gun greener shotgun

wwwgreener the trapgun68haymarket london