1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Information on taking a trap gun into Canada

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I plan on shooting a few days of the Montana state shoot and then going to Glaser National park and on into Canada. Was concerned about bringing a gun into Canada do not want a hassle at the boarder. I could ship the gun home from Montana but was thinking of shooting the PITA grand in Washington also so want to take the gun with me.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

$25 for a 60 day permit. You can get the paperwork ahead for convenience of filling it out. You will need to sign the paperwork at customs in their presense. Do not sign it ahead. You may want to get a form from US customs for ease of coming back into the US. Good luck and enjoy.

Edit: TBaber is correct about getting it declared. There should not be any duty problem because you'll have the Canadian paperwork showing you took into their country upon entry. I've had more problems coming back than crossing into Canada. You never know what mood the person may be in. :) Good luck, Bob

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

I am going to the Canadian National Trap Shoot in Vancouver this week. I will be crossing the border on Wednesday. Joe Potasky has a great website with all the information you need on this subject at lost target.com

Also remember to go and declare the gun at US Customs before you go so you can get it back in without a duty problem.

Tom

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Passed through the Canadian border south of Vancouver. No major problems. Gave them the paperwork and they inspected he gun then paid the $25 license fee and left.

Tom

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The last time I was in Canada with a shotgun was 1996, registered it with US customs then entered. I had 3 flats of Rem premiers with me and wanted to spend a few days there, then come back to attend the Northeast grand in Cicero, Ny. The Canadian border folks informed me I was not allowed to bring that much ammo in so I had to drive back into Ny. a few miles and stash 2 flats off the road so I could retrieve them when I came back. If you ever was convicted of a DUI don't bother trying to drive to Canada.

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the section you want on Joe's web site. DO NOT bring a handgun with you. Welcome, I hope you have a great trip. Some of us have been trying to get the $25 fee removed. Bill Malcolm

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Ammo

Import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.

Remember the old days are gone. You need a passport when (flying or driving) or an Enhanced Drivers License when returning to the states.

Many border states now issue an Enhanced Drivers License.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Good advise, Bill. Every month some US citizen gets caught with a handgun at the Sweetgrass, MT/Coutts, AB border crossing, a very busy port of entry. many say they are headed for Alaska. Doesn't matter. You cannot bring a handgun into Canada. I believe the only exception is when the POTUS is here, the Secret Service are allowed to carry.

Ron Burr

9. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Actually, according to my brother who was an LEO doing protective duties, Secret Service aren't allowed to bring anything in, or carry anything, but a blind eye was turned, so long as they weren't flashing MP5s or anything like that. There were a lot of suspiciously large and hard wallets carried under jackets, though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.