1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

INFORMATION ON BLOOD THINNERS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Conn. Man, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Im looking for a little imput on blood thinners.I have had a medical issue this summer and am on Wayfarin Sodium Tablets.Has anyone on here had any problems using blood thinners shooting Trap?????.

Sandy Holehouse

2. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Enough experience with warfarin (coumadin)- but not with trap shooting as I do sporting clays - no direct problems noted

Be very careful as this stuff is rat poison -too much and you may bleed to death internally - you will be having frequent blood work to determine what is your correct level - I found that eating too much of green vegetables will directly affect the coumadin levels from checkup to checkup - further I found that I could go off coumadin by taking Plavix and a daily aspirin

I'm sure your cartiologist will give you the right advice

3. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Conn.Man . . . . I've been using "Coumadin" for quite a few years with no side effects or problems with trapshooting. Have a "Prothrombin Time (Protime)" test done on a regular basis and you should be good to go!

Gus

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Sandy, I have been taking Enteric coated aspirin for the last 4+ years with no side effects. I had a stroke in 2006 and when I left the hospital, the Doctor told me I would be taking these at 1 per day for the rest of my life. They are nothing more than a coated, 325mg time release aspirin. They do not affect my shooting, but if you cut yourself, you will bleed a little longer than before. You will also bruise easier. Hope this info is of use to you. Larry Evans

5. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

Remember while Warfarin and Coumadin may be the same drug, THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. Once regulated on one you CANNOT switch to the other without re-regulating. Not a doctor or pharmacist but I have second hand experience with this among loved ones.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I was also going to remark about bruising...

Jay

7. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Jay,thats one of my biggest concerns.I have shot for fourty years with out any problem with bruising.Im 6'4" 250 lbs.I am having Sue at Pine Tree Shirts making me some shooting shirts with a good recoil pad in them.Im gonna go easy to start,I havn't shot since the first of May.Had a couple of big blood clots in my lung,but things at this time are oK.I appreciate every bodys help.I am being regulated on my coumadin (the rat poison LOL).

Sandy Holehouse.

8. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Sandy,

I have been taking warfarin for 8 years, with no problems shooting. I frequently shoot 400-500 rounds per week and have no bruising. I do remember that I did bruise worse when I started taking the warfarin than I do now, so start out slow and your body will tell you what you can handle. A lot will depend on how thin the doctors want your blood. 1.0 is the thickness of a normal persons blood and they try to keep mine between 2.0-3.0. If your target range is much higher than 3.0, you could have some issues. I do find more bruises when my INR gets up to or above 3.0. Probably from my 5 year old that thinks I am a human jungle gym. Good luck with your health issues.

Matt Stockwell

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

It in it's self is a relative stable drug. Side effects are few and usually mild.

The problem arises when you are taking other medications with it.

It renders some diabetic medications almost to the point of useless.

But then with all this garbage they prescribe for me it is no wonder.

Metformin 2 a day

Lisinopril 1 a day

Glipizide 2 a day

Warfarin Sodium 1&1/2 a day

Metoprolol Tartrate 1 a day

Furosemide 1&1/2 a day

Diltiazem 4 a day

Klor-Com 1 a day

Simvastatin 1 a day

Digoxin 1 a day

Rock

Jim

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use beer most of the time.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Geese Rock you're almost as bad as me. Almost because I didn't see and insulin. Bulge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bloodthinner and shooting

bloodthinners and trapshooting

can you trap shoot when taking blood thinners