1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info Wanted - Where to shoot in SW Florida

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flylta, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flylta

flylta TS Member

I live in Fort Myers, Florida and the closest club I can find is an hour away with many clubs within 2 hours.

I would like to find out which clubs in South Florida are worth burning the gas to get there and which ones I should avoid.

Thanks
    Ron
    A new shooter in Florida

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The link above should take you to the Florida Trap Association website. There you can find all of the clubs that throw registered targets. My club, Markham Skeet & Trap is across Alligator Alley. We have registered events the 2nd Saturday & 4th Sunday of each month usually.

Eric

3. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

The Sarasota gun club is off I75, exit 195, It has skeet, trap, 5 stand and there are rifle and pistol ranges in the park that are not associated with the trap and skeet fields. both top notch facilities. Port of the Isands is about 11 miles east of 951 on US 41 east of Naples. Markham Park is well worth the drive if you make a day of it. Depending on where in Ft Myers you live the nearest club is an hour away. All 3 will be glad to welcome you to shoot.
    Mike

4. flylta

flylta TS Member

Thanks guys for all the info. I knew about POI and the sarasota but had not found the site for POI. After looking at it I will be there to actually shoot for the firs time on a regitered trap range.

I will checkout the floridatrap link as well. I was hoping that there was a hidden range here is fort myers where I would be able to sneek in a round after work during the week, but it appears my wife will continue to have to put up with me coming straight home.

5. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

The FT Myers club was shut down in 93 by the city of FT Myers, There was a range just over the Charlotte County line on Zemel rd. west of US 41, The Hanson range that had I believe one trap/skeet field but I do not know if is still in use or open to the public. I believe that the Cape Coral sportsman club took over the range and it was now mostly used for pistol. Mike

6. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

flylta,
    mredburn is right, Sarasota is about the closest club for you. The Hansen range was never much of a trap range.
    I live in Fort Myers and trapshooting is usually a day trip to Sarasota or Odessa but the shark fishing is great in Ft. Myers now.
    Snookassassin, AKA Clif Adams

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

We were on the south end of Ft Myers Beach and the trip to POI took about an hour fifteen. Nice club. We come home by going up 29 and checking out the alligators along the road.

8. flylta

flylta TS Member

Thanks guys for the info.

mredburn you are correct about the Cape Coral Sportsman and they only shoot rifle and pistol.

I currently shoot as often as I can at Babcock/Webb (Cecil Webb WMA, old name) with a Do-All thrower and it is a blast but the competitor in me wants to know what I could do on a regulation course.

Looking to try all of it.

Thanks
    Ron aka flylta (Fly Lighter Than Air - Hot Air Balloons)

9. flylta

flylta TS Member

Jerry,

I wish I could make it. I have heard good things about the club. I am amazed the more I talk about trap the more people that I know that shoot or have shot. I am already scheduled to take a group out to webb this saturday, about 20 guys 5 of which have never shot before. I will see you guys soon though.

Does anyone up there have a shot maker and sell thier extra? I would be interested.

10. 686

686 TS Member

THERE IS the desoto gun club in arcadia fl.. 1st sun sporting clays. 2nd sun cawboy, 3rd sun action, bowling pins, bullseye, ppc, 4th sat 22 steel sil, 4th sun big bore sil. you do have to be nra and a club member. the 3rd sun is the best time to come out check it out and join if you like what you see .www.desotogunclub.com they have 15-200 yards. i am there all but the cawboy days. i make shot also. hope to see some of you soon. thanks charles

11. 686

686 TS Member

12. 686

686 TS Member

13. 686

686 TS Member

14. 686

686 TS Member

^^^

15. RichS

RichS TS Member

I'm moving to Ft. Myers at the end of July. I also will be looking to find places to shoot trap near Ft. Myers.
    Is anyone interested in going as a group to one of the ranges?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ft myers skeet shooting