1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info wanted on Cole SBT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ec90t, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Chip,

I'd get in touch with PerazziBigBore (Mike). He's probably the best source of info on these guns.

ec90t

2. crew

crew TS Member

I own a Bill cole its probably one of the best built guns you could own. I shoot a Perazzi MX2000 combo also. For singles and H.C. I like the cole better,you should shoot one first as everyone says,they may not be for you. The cole is a heavier gun mine weights over ten pounds without adding any weight,that's kinda what I like for me when I add weight to my Perazzi its not the same,I like my Perazzi the way it is for doubles..Ive heard people say the Cole has a ring to it when its shot .I don't hear it and shoot it very well,if it wasn't for doubles I wouldn't own a Perazzi. Crew

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have one that I would sell for $4495.00. It has a release trigger 34" and a counter coil on it. It was sent back to Bill Cole and refinished the wood and the Metal.
    Don

4. crew

crew TS Member

Thanks Unloader for the info on the spacers. I don't hear mine ring but have heard other people look at my gun and say they didn't like the ringing maybe mine has those spacers I didn't notice anything. I live in the Northwest and have met Bill at shoots and also must say Bill is the Best. I bought mine second hand and Bill changed the trigger back to a pull it has only two moving parts,no charge. Crew

5. crew

crew TS Member

Chip King I don't know about the Kolar Ive only picked them up ,but I own a ljutic and have owned another also live in ljutic country,to me the cole is in another class and I don't mean any disrespect toward Ljutics,the cole seems to have even less parts that are just built so heavy.and with such care it just opens and closes like a fine machine. They also usually have supper nice wood from Moe Braggs shop. Enough said I'll sound like a salesman. Crew

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

My later model Cole only weighs 9 lb. 10 onces. Now that is with choke tube, adjustable comb and butt and 14.5 LOP. Different accessories and LOP can affect weight, I think mine is just right and that is what I wanted as it is close in weight to my TMS. Another shooter had an older Cole and weighed his and told me his was 4 pounds heavier than mine.Both were 34 inch barrels.

My Kreighoff K5 weighed 9 lb. 8.5 onces.

My BT99 grade 6 weighed 9 lb. 2.5 onces.

My Winchester 101 weighed 10 lb. .5 once.

The later model Cole's have a narrower receiver and are not squared off and look much better and bring more money than the older Cole's. Older Coled are heavy and considerable cheaper here.The very first Cole's had a fixed comb.

Mine did have the ping, at times, when you shot it and I found the male threads were too long and bottomed out in the female part of the screw assembly that held the rib on. I just ground a little off the male screw and that took care of it. Ray

7. crew

crew TS Member

My cole is a newer one and weights just a little over 10 pounds, different wood etc. So weights could very . Comparing them used to some other guns they seem to be a Bargan to me. Crew

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My original Cole #2 weighed 11pounds 8 oz. with a Soft Touch.. My Cole #105 weighed 9 pounds 8 oz. with only adjustable comb.. My titanium Cole can be anything from 7.5 pounds to 11 pounds depending on what parts I use and which barrel.. The late model Cole with a Titanium mono-block and titanium forend is in the 8 pound range.. To me.. The perfect dynamics for me.. ass heavy.. and front as quick as lightning.. All Good Mike

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I met with Bill Cole on Saturday, the 14th of March at Redlands. He is down here winterbirding in the So-Cal desert, but still answers his cell phone and picks up his e mail: colearms@viclink.com.

Bill showed me some beautiful guns that he brought with him; one his personal grade 3, black leaf with birds. A friend of his was with him and shot his personal grade 2..for the first time at the traprange in 12 years!!! Those two have the golf bug.

But it is not about eye candy alone..Bill is a very talented and knowledgeable retired tool and die man. He explained one fact about the gun, one of several that impressed me: Gun's receiver is made from 4140 tool steel. No need for a heat treatment after making it. Great tight precise tolerances in the gun, btw. Outside of the prototypes made for Bill and his son, a Cole has never broken a firing pin after a change to a better metal! One Cole gun has 250,000 rounds through it and has never needed any part and is still as "new" mechanically as the day it left the shop.

Bill designed this gun in 2 weeks, making up drawings and the like. He had 9 other trapguns that he had shot and picked and chose the best features from each design and incorporated those into the Cole. He subsequently sold all of those guns, but readly admitted he misses his MX-8 P gun for doubles.

Here's the frustating part. Bill built 119 of these fine guns; that's all that exist now. He has parts to build about 8 more. That was difficult to do because he lost the source for a barrel blank builder. He has now found a new source for very high quality barrel blanks (he insists on very tight specs) and will build up the remaining guns. However, the remaining guns are planned to be delivered "in the white" without wood so the buyer can then get the gun custom stocked.

Can one imagine a Cole gun stocked by Dennis DeVault? Nice to ponder...

Anyway, I consider the Cole the Rolex of the SBT. I suggest that if a shooter wants one, get one ASAP. E Bill. For health reasons and a love of golf in retirement, Bill is hanging up what was once a hobby, building this fine gun, and really retire. E mail me for his cell number if you would like.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

P.S. I just tried to e Bill, but the above didn't work. Try this one:

bill@colearms.com

Hope it works. Bill does have ribs available, but which ones I dunno.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

About the only thing most will ever need are springs.. which are easily gotten.. Wolfe can provide any of them.. Once you look inside of a Cole.. it's dead simple.. The locking bolt will easily go 200,000 rounds plus.. The pivot is easily rebuilt.. but I own Cole#2.. and its as good as new..and over 400,000 rounds between 3 different owners.. The cocking rod can wear.. but a touch with a mig gun will provide the metal for another 200,000 rounds.. The locking bolt can be hard chromed and last a lifetime.. You might get a extra set of trigger parts and springs..and you'd be good for a lifetime..

12. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I still have mine for sale at a great price. It is Lucky Number 7.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.