1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info Wanted on 686 Berettas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I am looking at the purchse of a 686 Beretta and know nothing about them as a Beretta model. I have a 682 and a 687 but not a 696. There appears to be many versions of the gun and I can not figure out the differences between the various models. Can any one give me a quick course in 686's so I can tell the difference.
    Any available help is greatly appreciated.
    Doug

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had a 686 top trap mono. Plain jane wood, nice factory engraving on the receiver. Used Beretta Mobile chokes. I could hit very well with it. I had it about 10 years and shot it about 15,000 to 20,000 per year, never had a single problem. I wish I never sold it.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Generally, all 680 series Berettas are pretty much the same gun internally and parts are interchangeable ... however, there are a few exceptions.

The 686 is the entry level model. The 682 is the target model and has a few added features, such as, adjustable trigger for LOP and replaceable barrel shoulders. The 687 has upgraded wood, etc. from the 682. Bill Malcolm

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

From my recollection there was the Silver Pigeon, similar engraving as the 687 but not as deep. Then they came out with the Essential blued model and a Silver model, very little engraving. Now they only showing the white Onyx on the BerettaUSA website, there may have been a blued Onyx a few years ago.

Jason

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the 686 has scroll engraving.

the 687 has a game seen engraving.

the 682 is plain.

the internals are the same.

tony

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

686 & 687 is the same gun with different dress-ups.

686 being the standard model, 687 has a little more make up. 682 is competition model, Essential is the entry level model.

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

The barrels are different on the 686 and 682 as well.

686/687: Non vented mid ribs and Mobilchokes.
    682/DT10/SV10: Vented ribs and Optima-Chokes

The 686/687 barrels are heavier than the true competition shotguns.

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Well…..

I just weighed my 682E 30” Sporting and with my crude scale, the barrels weighed 3.3 lbs (chokes out). I also weighed my 686 White Onyx 30” barrels with the same scale and they weighed 3.5 lbs (chokes out). Weight may not be the most accurate but the difference is easily seen.

Your right, Beretta has made many different vented and non vented barrels over the years but, CURRENT production 686/687 are not vented.

Hey, I'll even bet that at one time all Berettas had no screw in chokes at all. Again …CURRENT production 682/DT10/SV10 have Optima Chokes and the 686 and 687 have Mobilchokes.

And your point is?

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Mark,

You are comparing an Optima choked barrel to a Mobil choked one.

Also, you 30" barreled White Onyx is listed by BerettaUSA as the Sporting model along with the rest of the "competition" models.

Jason

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Just to keep it straight the older 682 did not come with Optima barrels but a smaller bore and if tubed used mobil chokes. I have a 686 Pigeon trap combo and it is a great gun never a problem with it. I use it as a back up gun so it does not have a ton of shells shot threw it but would use it as a go to gun if needed..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.