1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info Please: About a Particular Kind of Job Loss

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Chango2, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Was at a Christmas Eve party last night. Basically, the same group of families that have met for 30+ years now. The economy has hurt two families gravely; I had a hard time sleeping after I got home. Anyway, one friend there worked for an "adjunctive" branch of GM for 31 years. He retired two years ago with full pension. He is now 60 years old. He is very bitter; he continues to have to work because the "bailout" for GM, given to a bankrupt company, created an alleged "legal" precident that allowed the reorganized GM NOT to continue paying him any pension benefits! He is particularly bitter because the president of GM, Wagner, received a 400 million dollar benefit. And, allegedly, some particular employees did not loose their retirement benefits.

I am beginning to think that the Obama administration plays things just too loose and dirty. I really didn't want to believe the critics at first, figured it was just reactive venting about a year ago, but now I'm getting pissed for my friend's situation and for a health care plan that seems to have been developed with too many compromises and is being rammed down our throats.

BUT: I'd appreciate any advice to where my friend may turn; maybe somebody here knows where disenfranchised auto workers or other union workers who have been loyal are turning? Please IM me about any leads I can give my friend.

My friend was also shot when he served in Vietnam. He took a bullet in the stomach and somehow lived and saved without residual health problems or impediments. After all of that, he claims, and I have not heard of this, that those in his "class", i.e., trained with military weapons etc. are considered, albeit low risk, potential threats if terrorism were to run rampant.

The whole scenario really gives me the chills.

Thanks for any leads you can give me to pass on to my friend.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanaukuh, and Happy New Year to all.

I think we all here (posting at this site) may not agree on all topics, but I have observed that the large majority of us attempt to be fair. For that I am grateful.

David

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The secretary of the fatherland security, Janet Napolitano has determined that anybody that served at one time in our military could be a threat to the current regime in power. The same applies to all trapshooters, especially to all 27 yard shooters. Their concidered snipers at moving targets.

3. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Next time vote republican...Until then do whatever you can to get the bum out of office...Merry Christmas ...Odie

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

More Info.: He worked for Delphi. Oh, and I didn't vote for Obama or McCain. Figured both were more of the same mediocraity--particularly with the economy.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Very few pension plans have any federal backing

No union plans have any federal backing

-- One thing that current union workers are always ready to give away are the medical benefits of the former retired employees..

Vesting really has no meaning when it comes to distributions- only eligibility.

The director of Homeland Security- having no operational experience and no military experience somehow released this memo prepared by some pencil neck- probably with no military experience himself- probably a military wannabe that did classify veterans as a significant terrorist risk-- despite their having served the nation and the constitution.

This director is like Janet Reno was - and her operational experience is about equal to Reno's

Now the intersting thing here is the Head of the American Legion to get himself face time on National TV accepted the explanation given-- what a limp d*** and kiss asser-- probably hopes to get an invitation to serve with Obama

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Pensions = paying people not to work. Oh yah, that's going to last.

Must be a union thing.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

David, I would be glad to discuus this with you. That being said I dont always agree with Gene but I certainly do on this one

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Did your friend vote for Obama?

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

GM/Delphi? Financially unsustainable.

Medicare? Financially unsustainable.

I sympathize with your friend. He comes from a generation that puts trust in institutions. We don't have any institutions left in this country that are financially sustainable (unless you're a Wall Street Fat Cat, of course, in which case - you have a blank checkbook on the rest of our asses).

When Obama speaks of our economy, he frequently states, "We can't go back to the way things were."

Now what do you suppose he means by that?

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ysr_racer:

You've confused pensions with various forms of welfare.

Many forms of welfare are payments paid to people that DON'T work and who in most cases never paid a dime of taxes in support of any welfare program. Welfare programs aren't "paying people not to work". The payments are intended (and damned effect I might add) to institutionalize long term poverty and dependence of recipients on big government. Stated another way, welfare payments are a way for liberals to purchase the votes of do-nothing layabouts.

Pensions OTOH, are something entirely different. They are retirement income plans funded by employees, employers, union members or some combination thereof. For example, I made direct contribution to my plan. My employer made additional contributions in lieu of cash or other forms of employment compensation. None of it was or is a gift or any form of welfare. I earned every dime.

Social Security is a joke. Unless it has changed recently, FICA taxes are 14% of payroll with employers and employees splitting the tab. I'm one of many who are extremely unlikely to ever collect what I put into the system.

sissy

11. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

This will go down in history as the most crooked administration to date.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Likes to Shoot- good question-- I would like to see the calculations of what they consider a basic benefit-

The Devil is in the details or so they say

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

David, I worked for Delphi for 33 years & was turned out to pasture Oct 1 09. You did not say wheather your friend was hourly of in management, it makes a difference as to who he needs to turn. If hourly, he needs to get his union involved, Delphi turned their pension ovet to the PBGC (can Google & learn more). GM has been forced to make the union retirees whole. If he was in management then he needs to get in touch with DSRA (Google). GM will not make you whole if you were in management. Be patient PBGC works slow, I retired Oct 1 & have not got my estimated pension $ amount yet. Don't know where you located but I worked in Alabama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.