1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info on Win. Model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Woods, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Active Member

The other night at the Watford Gun Club,Watford,Ontario,Canada a shooter came out with a Win. Model 12 ,definately not a stock gun. It had a vent rib on it
    that looked like it was a Browning Broadway rib. The rib continued all the way back to the back of the receiver. And very wide.
    I think this is the first one I have seen.
    Anyone have any idea about this !!!!

Joe Woods/Ontario.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I think Moneymaker did some like that, also.

I have a 3inch Mod 12 like that, and was told it was a Moneymaker rib.

3. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Simmons also has [still] a optional wide rib for installation on any shotgun.

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

ExFedex has it. I wonder who did them for Herter's? What an operation they were in their heyday.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are a lot of 28 inch barrel guns with the wide Broadway type rib that was put on by Simmons ... I know a guy who has one stamped Simmons ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

hi it is my understanding that herters was the only 1 tyat put the 5/8 rib on. simmons and others only put 1/2" ribs on. friend has the 5/8 rib and was done in the 60s by herters cost was 28.00 still shoots it.

7. ORG

ORG Member

Herter's ribs were done in house by a guy named Rollie Dahnert. This is what one looks like.
    org_2008_03034.jpg

org_2008_03035.jpg

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Joe, there was one here for sale if you'd like your own. Let me know as Iam probably taking off monday night.

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

ORG, the Herter's rib I'd seen was 5/8" wide and came back completely over the receiver. So many years ago I can't remember for sure, I think it was on a model 12. Interesting to find they did them in house though. Those were fun times in shot gunning. I also bought some of their stocks and finishing kits.Of course in those days you were doing something productive in your spare time instead of sitting here. :)

10. cjkostic

cjkostic Member

Deja vu!!!! I took some photos yesterday of my newly-refurbished Model 12. I picked the original gun up last winter, shot it a bit and found it to my liking. There is no name stamped on the rib anywhere. Now I shoot it two nights a week in trap leagues.

If anyone has a Model 12 witrh the wide rib they'd like to sell, please let me know.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

different ribs on model 12