1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info on Springfield Model 1864

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by map@neo, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. map@neo

map@neo Member

Can anyone inform me on a Springfield Model 1864 musket? It is all original and the lock plate is dated 1864. I believe it has an "Allin conversion". I can't find information on this particular date. The gun has a near perfect bore. It has the original bayonet. Overall cosmetic condition would be considered
    "fine". Any input to this particular year would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

MAP

2. map@neo

map@neo Member

up please!

3. setter

setter Member

This may help!

A couple of books (out of print, I guess)
    Arcadi Gluckman, Identifing old u.s. muskets, rifles & carbines.
    James E Hicks, U.S. military Firearms 1776-1956.

don't know how applicable.

4. Wentez

Wentez Member

Sir,

The First Model Allin Conversion left the barrel in 58 cal and used a 58 cal rimfire cartridge. This was the Model 1865. They used the model 1861 musket as a basis. It is possible that over the years the lock on yours was swapped out for one with an 1864 date.

The barrel should be 37 3/4" from the face of the breech to the muzzle with three barrel bands. 5000 of these were altered at the US Government Springfield Armory.

Shorter lengths include 32" which were altered by surplus firms to make them more saleable. Those were with 2 barrel bands with the same spacing as original.

270 were US Government altered for use as Cadet rifles. On those the two barrel bands were spaced. The cartouche or ordinance inspector stamp should be on the left side of the stock near the lock screw. That should be ESA in an oval. At the time of alteration another cartouche which is rectangular with SWP inside. The sling swivel was altered by cutting the swivel from the old mid band and brazing it to the front band. These are very rare.

Barrel length, exact info on cartouche marks, caliber and more details would help. I used to deal in a lot of good antique guns.

The second model used a 50 cal liner and was in 50-70 cal.

If you would let me know where you live I could recommend someone that is honest in your area. If I can provide more info let me know.

George Wentz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.