1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info on Shot Curtains Wanted

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill1949, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I'd like some info on Shot Curtains. My Club seems to be headed in that direction. Thanks for any help you can give...Bill

2. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

There was an article years ago in Shotgun Sports that gave some specifics regarding a club that was forced to use a shot curtin to stay in business. Sorry, but I can't even remember the year much less the month, but perhaps they could search for you.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Billerica Rod and Gun in Billerica Mass has shot curtains that they can raise and lower, Not sure of their contact person, but they have a pic of their field.
    http://www.billericarodandgun.com/Trap.htm

The Billerica Road and Gun Club
    216 Pond Street
    Billerica, MA 01821
    Telephone: (978) 667-9378

Frank C.

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Bill: There are clubs using them, and there have been discussions here on it. I've paid attention because some day we may do it. Try a Search on Reclaiming, Recovery, Shot, Trap, Curtains, etc. Some suggestions have been to contact Rick Patterson @ www.nssf.org and ask for a copy of the Range Report Vol 7 No 3, and to go to www.RangeInfo.org. -Phil E

5. Joe Gordon

Joe Gordon TS Member

Hi my name is Joe gordon i was contacted wed.AT MY club
    I am a member of billerica rod & gun club. We have a net
    since 2001.If anyone need's some help we will be to help you out.
    I have been involved with the net since the begining.

E-Mail me with your e address or mail me at
    po box 122 n. billerica mass 01862. I have a lot of info on net.
    I can send out cost and where to get net from.
    joe

6. TrapTech

TrapTech TS Member

Hi all,

This is a subject i'm getting very interested in, I'm currently in the middle of some land negotiations to open a new trap and sporting club here in the UK, nothing too big, just a small club.

I'm surrounded by two neighbouring farms and it is impossible for me not to drop shot on their property. As you can understand I've been keeping all eyes and ears open on the subject so i can appease the land owners when I approach them regarding the shotfall.

I've got all the main mechanical bits and pieces quoted for, i.e. scaffold uprights and bracing, etc, but nowhere can I find a single specification for which material is 100% perfect for the job, i don't with to spend thousands of pounds on netting, then find six months later i have to replace it all, i need something that will last at least 5 years.

Those nice people at RangeInfo send me a copy fo the Range Report covering the subject, great read by the way but all it said was that a university was conucting experiments into which type of curtain was best.

Would be just nice to have an idea :)

Andy Herrett

7. bill1949

8. bill1949

9. break25

break25 TS Member

Joe Gordon Nice seeing you on line again. The Range report is old news They were supposed to give an update, but never did. Wrote the Hammer Co, about their new shot recovery system and never got an answer. The company was doing a test at a Club in your area. I wrote the Club and received no answer.
    Heard that in ITALY a club is using Shot Curtins. WHEN(?) I and if hear more I call you.

CHAZZ

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shotgun sports had an article several years ago. It was written about a club in northern California that put up a curtain that was gotten from a local paper mill. It was from their conveyor system. The club hung this curtain from a cable suspended between old phone poles. I have been looking for the article at home. If I find it Ill let you know. Maybe the magazine can search their archives.

11. break25

break25 TS Member

Grunt,

We researched this club. It is the OAKDALE SPORTSMEN'S CLUB of OAKDALE CALIF.The Curtains were made from the Paper Mill FELTS. OAKDALE had problems with it. VERY heavy especially when wet and prone to WIND. Bellerica has the better curtain. The Oakdale article was in the April 2000 Shotgun Sports.

Contact Joe Gordan he is good to work with.

CHAZZ

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chazz, Thanks for the information. I was trying to locate the story for the original thread poster. Shoot well. Dave Bishop

13. Trapper32

Trapper32 TS Member

I wonder how the material from a trampoline would work. Lightweight and heavy duty.

14. break25

break25 TS Member

Trapper, the only way is to try it. If you can get a old tramboline material, put it out 80 yards from the Trap and shoot. Remember, it must be light,able to sustain winds and not absorb water.

Chazz

15. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I just returned from the Bilerica Rod and Gun Club on Monday evening. It was well worth the 840 mile drive each way from metro Detroit to see their set up. The club has only 16 acres or so to work with and have set up their 100 yard rifle range and trap range in a very slick arrangement. The club was very receptive to me and answered all of my questions and allowed me to film the curtain while they were actively shooting. A protective berm at the base of the curtain makes this possible. This allows the visitor to see first hand just how well the system works. I also took a number of still digital photos both before and after open shooting. The system in place is the third version at the club with each version improving on the previous. If you are planning on building one of these, spend the money for the trip and visit the club. Thanks again to all of the guys at Bilerica Rod and Gun!

Jeff Klueger
    Howell Gun Club, Howell MI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shot curtain for trap range

shot curtain for trap ranges

shot curtains for shotgun ranges