1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info on salt water fishing combo...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dolphin77, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I need advice on what size/weight rod, reel, line....etc...to get for pier and surf fishing....Thanks, WC

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Big.

In my experience, piers fight tough and are hard to land.

3. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Probably 15-20 lb test,surf and pier vary greatly for rods

Surf,I use a 13' rod w/ older Mitchell spinning reel.

Pier.6 -8 ' rod,conventional or spinning reel.

good Fishing

Jim

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

In southern California we use light tackle primarily. 8 to 9ft fast action rod,2.0 to 4.0 reel with 6lb or lighter line. Bait soakers tend to lean towards the heavy gear.

My son just came back from Virginia where they use heavy gear due to the stronger currents of the Atlantic. Do like he did and check with local tackle shops.

Robert

5. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I fish piers up and down the NC and SC coasts. We use 8-9' medium action spinning rods with medium sized spinning reels loaded with 15-20 lb. Cajun red line. These work very well with a double "stand out" rig, 2-3oz. pyramid or duckbill sinker (depending on wave and current action), and RED #6 Eagle Claw long shank saltwater hooks. Cut shrimp or squid pieces about the size of a small to medium marble. You can catch spots, whiting,croaker, and small blues untill the cows come home (depending on what's running at the time, of course).

I think one of the big secrets is the red line and hooks. I am told that the red color "disappears" under water. Whatever, I can catch fish with these rigs when other people aren't, so something must be working.

Hope this helps!

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

A Penn 750SSM will make a good reel and I prefer a 8 or 8.5 Graphite rod for both pier and surf. Shakespheare make a nice rod for around $85.00. There are so many choices for both rods and reels but as a dealer and repairman the Penn reel will last, as long as you take care of them. You don't want a real stiff tipped rod so you can tell the difference of a wave and a bite. Circle hooks work pretty good for easy hook up as you just need to tighten the line during a bite and they will set the hook themselves. Jackie B.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

WC, First off where are you??? And what are you fishing for??? Secondly you will more than likely need two different rods!!! One for Pier and one for Surf fishing. Pier rods tend to be much shorter than Surf rods. Can you cast a convental reel??? I love a Penn Squidder w/ a plastic spool (buy seperately). But not everyone can cast one well, so If not I would recommend a spinning reel instead. The size reel and line size will depend on where and what you are fishing for. A 8 foot rod could work for both if need be, and 12-17 pound line will cast the best. 20 pound test line and above, will cut into your casting distance. Now Braided line will add to casting distance, but is not good in clear water during the day. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pull, by conventional do you mean a "baitcaster"? They are difficult to master. Mike.

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

To give you the BEST answers, we have to know where you are fishing AND what you are fishing for.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yes, Mike I am talking about a reel that is like a baitcaster but on a slightly larger scale. The Squidder is a wide face open reel that has excellent casting ability, It does not have a level winder as well. This allows better casting. But as said they are harder to cast, but will cast much farther. Break em all Jeff PS Where are you planning to fish WC???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.