1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Info on older model Remington 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DonMirabito, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonMirabito

DonMirabito TS Member

For those of you who are 1100 experts I need some info. I am looking for all the information I can get on a Remington 1100 Tournament Trap gun. Things like how best to properly identify its year of manufacture and its specific model/sub-model/variation.

Thanks in advance...

2. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

A tour-trap should have "TRAP-T" stamped on the lower left hand side of the receiver (below and to the left of the bolt opening. A trap barrels fron this period had a "step rib". The date of manf. can be determined by the serial number (call remington)---and the barrel also is marked (coded) to indicate month and year of manufacture (breech end left hand side fairly close to the receiver. One problem with the barrel markings is--if the barrel were changed, it possibly would vary from the gun/receiver date. All trap-t's had "cut" checkering. shell knockdown studs in the barrel tang and all trap guns had a red/orange remington recoil pad.
    Hope this helps---and happy holidays.
    regards
    Bob

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]

My 1100 TRAP-T has a non-step rib barrel, and the trap stocks have pressed checkering. Barrel date code RX = Nov 1973. Perhaps this gun was pieced together?

In the above photo, the top barrel is the 30" full that came with the gun. The lower mounted barrel is a 28" light contour that I was doing some tests with.

It also came with this unidentified trigger assembly that has no safety.

[​IMG]

4. Brian in Oregon

Oh well, it was only $175.

5. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

UM---you did well boy!
    regards
    Bob

6. jayco32

jayco32 TS Member

The tournament trap {Trap-T} was only made in 1979 & 1980. I have one I bought new in 1979 at the Grand. It does have cut checkering and a step rib. Most also had pretty nice wood.

7. DonMirabito

DonMirabito TS Member

Well guys Thanks for the replies so far. Most of which you tell me I sort of already knew. Yup, they were made in 79-80. Yup, they had fancier wood with cut checkering. Yup, they had the step-rib. Yup, they were stamped with the TRAP-T on the receiver. There are a few things I have been told, but can't verify. For example, I was told that there was a "sub-model" of the Tournament Trap sometimes referred to as the "D" model. It was supposedly an even fancier/more premium version, but I can't figure out if it were true how to identify one.
    I was also told that the barrels of the Tournament Trap guns were of better quality than the regular models. Apparently, they were hand selected - somehow? I was also told that Remington knowing these guns were to be sold as "premium" guns at a higher price was offering lifetime service for "free" with them. These last items I haven't been able to verify with anyone except some of the old timers who claimed that there were some gun reps pitching that back in the day.

Part of my reason for asking is because I have one of these guns. I bought it used and never got any sort of manual/warranty with it. I absolutely love the gun. I've been shooting the crap out of it for better than 25 years. I can't begin to tell you how many thousands of rounds have gone through it. I have done the usual replacement of o-rings and such over the years, but nothing major. However, lately, the gun is showing its age and its usage. There are holes/indentations on the magazine tube where the gas ports are positioned. Apparently, the hot gas is burning the steel away?? The inside of the receiver machining has worn fine "razor" sharp edges on all metal to metal edges, where the action bar moves, etc. The underside of the barrel tang has been "peened" pretty badly and the little stud is almost worn off completely. The gun will no longer cycle/eject a single shell never mind cycle a second shell in doubles. So, I'm wondering what to do about it...Can this gun be completely rebuilt or do I have to replace it???

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions guys.

8. Brian in Oregon

IIRC D & F refer to the level of engraving from the Rem custom shop.

9. Greevesman

Greevesman Member

I have a trap t and called Remington regarding date of manufacture per the serial number and was told 1983.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Look at the website: Shotgunworld.com - "I love my Remington." There is
    a whole thread on there about the care and upkeep of the 1100 that will answer a lot of your questions.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

A ( D ) Grade has extensive engraving on the reciever.

Gary

12. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Call 1-800-243-9700 and they will tell you the exact date it was made

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

of the 1187 or the 1100 which model is older

remington 1100 barrel tang ware

review remington 1100 older model